Page 1 of 3
I'm doing a 10 page, analysis-styled paper on the trends in metal, mostly from its origination (I know the point of origination is mostly opinion based; just bear with me here) to recent times. I'll be looking at the change in sound (in regards to each instrument and their styles), lyrical topics, image (fashion, themes), air play, and overall popularity. So what are some good, reputable sources to find some of these things in?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I'm doing a 10 page, analysis-styled paper on the trends in metal, mostly from its origination (I know the point of origination is mostly opinion based; just bear with me here) to recent times. I'll be looking at the change in sound (in regards to each instrument and their styles), lyrical topics, image (fashion, themes), air play, and overall popularity. So what are some good, reputable sources to find some of these things in?

Sail upon the open skies
I'd say it's unfortunate that The Pit is really the only place I could have posted this thread, but I'm still cracking up at the fact that out of the entire post, angusfan found the word "bear".

Had a feeling there'd be jack-s**t to work with for sources; guess it was worth a shot.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
That is a little ambitious for a ten page paper. Why don't you just pick one or two trends, like fashion and lyrical themes?

I would ask your school and library was databases you guys have access to and search through those. For example: EBSCO, http://www.rocksbackpages.com/. Look at the references used in wiki articles for primary sources.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Mar 30, 2014,
Metal is pretty gay tbh, do a 10 page paper on something interesting and not for 12 year olds
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I'd say it's unfortunate that The Pit is really the only place I could have posted this thread, but I'm still cracking up at the fact that out of the entire post, angusfan found the word "bear".

Had a feeling there'd be jack-s**t to work with for sources; guess it was worth a shot.

Just doing my job m'lady
Sail upon the open skies

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
There was a miniseries on VH1 Classic called "Metal Evolution" around 2 years ago. It followed from the works of late Romantic composers (Wagner mostly) and went all the way up to stuff like Power Metal and Hair Metal. It should pretty much fit your bill perfectly.
EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Evolution
Lists all the episodes, if you want to pick and prod.
Last edited by Skullivan at Mar 30, 2014,
Quote by Skullivan
There was a miniseries on VH1 Classic called "Metal Evolution" around 2 years ago. It followed from the works of late Romantic composers (Wagner mostly)

OH My *******S GOD
Quote by Skullivan
There was a miniseries on VH1 Classic called "Metal Evolution" around 2 years ago. It followed from the works of late Romantic composers (Wagner mostly) and went all the way up to stuff like Power Metal and Hair Metal. It should pretty much fit your bill perfectly.
EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Evolution
Lists all the episodes, if you want to pick and prod.

Of course, VH1 is the most cited source in music-related scholarly articles.

sorry you left me no choice
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

*VH1 Classic
And it wasn't really a VH1 production, they just funded him. The guy has a degree in anthropology and did a ton of interviews with artists, producers, promoters, etc. So I would consider primary sources pretty good evidence.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

We can use TV episodes as a source; I might pick through a few to see if there were any good commentators, though I'm not holding my breath.
Quote by Skullivan
*VH1 Classic
And it wasn't really a VH1 production, they just funded him. The guy has a degree in anthropology and did a ton of interviews with artists, producers, promoters, etc. So I would consider primary sources pretty good evidence.

Was that the same guy who did A Headbangers Journey?
I don't get why people act so dismissive when it comes to this genre. Metal is an established genre of music with a surrounding culture and I see no reason for it to not be researched like any other genre that has made a significant impact in society. You lot can be so fucking retarded sometimes; it's unreal.
Check out my band Disturbed
So would you guys suggest using VH1?
Quote by StewieSwan
Metal is an established genre of music

Yeah, established genre of shit lmao
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
So would you guys suggest using VH1?

If it's a reputable documentary that cites its sources or uses primary sources like interviews then yeah you're fine.

Quote by darkcheef
Yeah, established genre of shit lmao

You will not upset me.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't get why people act so dismissive when it comes to this genre. Metal is an established genre of music with a surrounding culture and I see no reason for it to not be researched like any other genre that has made a significant impact in society. You lot can be so fucking retarded sometimes; it's unreal.

true say it's ability to bring in the most socially/mentally challenged people together deserves all the study it can get
Quote by StewieSwan

they be takin the piss
Quote by willT08
jesus wept

+1
Quote by willT08
OH My *******S GOD

+2

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you're above middle school level and get above a C on this I will be amazed
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I wouldn't do a serious paper on metal... maybe and I mean maybe if it was anthropology but that would be mostly field work.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by StewieSwan

lol
Quote by StewieSwan

hahahahahaha
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i'll be a source for you
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by StewieSwan

Yeah whys there no peer reviewed journals on metal u guys
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Seems like a huge topic. Explaining each "trend" is going to be very short lol. i would need 10 pages just to explain one.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by Maidenheadsteve

Why would you want to write an academic paper on Metal anyway? I love Metal, but pick a better topic. Damn.

Quote by StewieSwan

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 30, 2014,
Page 1 of 3