I'm starting a new pedalboard build on a Pedaltrain PT-Pro, upgrading from an old system I built into the lid of a flightcase, bulky and noisy..

Anyway this new build needs to be quite space conscious, so I'm trying to chose what jack plugs to buy for making the patch leads. I was initially planning to use Neutrik NP2RX, but they do seem unnecessarily bulky.

Can anyone suggest something a bit more compact, that doesn't compromise quality? Where possibly I don't want to spend too much as I need about 40 of the things, the Neutrik ones come in at about £3/$4.60, I don't want to exceed that by much!

Any suggestions would be awesome!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Last edited by makutoid at Mar 30, 2014,
I think aside from Neutrik, Switchcraft makes excellent plugs. You could look into their 1/4'' angled plugs. I'm not sure if they're any more compact since I don't have a proper comparison point, but their quality should be great. This is not my field of expertise, so just flame me if I'm talking out of my ass.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I think aside from Neutrik, Switchcraft makes excellent plugs

So I've heard, for some reason the name totally slipped out of my mind while I've been looking into this! I'll have a look now, if I can find a schematic or something I'll compare the chassis sizes on here.

Thanks for your input!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

SwitchCraft look like they're about the same size, with the exception of one model they produce that's slimmer from the side but a much larger "pancake" style edge that would sit against the edge of the pedal.

I'm looking to use a lot of these on an 8 channel true bypass looper, which has sockets too close together to use the pancake style plugs.

Maybe I'll stick with Neutrik! Unless there are any other suggestions?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Lava and Evidence have tiny solderless ones, and their latest models are pretty reliable. When I was using a MIDI looper, I used Switchcraft 380s at the loop in/out and the 228 pancake style plugs at the pedal in/out. Don't use the Neutrik ones. They're ****ing huge.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Don't use the Neutrik ones. They're ****ing huge.

Noted!

I'm not sure I have enough depth to accommodate the 380s behind my looper, hence why I was looking at right angles before. I like the design of the 228, they look like good plugs, but f***, they're twice the price! I can't justify that kind of money of jacks, I'll have to look at an alternative..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Where are you buying from? I get them for less than $3.50 from guitar-cable.com.

http://btpa.com/Phone-Plugs/

The 380s are super short too. Like 1", plus whatever distance your cables need to turn without kinking/breaking.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Mar 30, 2014,
George L's are good, solder less length adjustment and a very low profile. I think I have an image of my PT nano on here somewhere. Not had any problems, saves alot of space compared to neutrik.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by mmolteratx
Where are you buying from? I get them for less than $3.50 from guitar-cable.com.

I'm in the UK, everywhere I can find is very expensive for some reason :/
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by mmolteratx
Lava and Evidence have tiny solderless ones, and their latest models are pretty reliable. When I was using a MIDI looper, I used Switchcraft 380s at the loop in/out and the 228 pancake style plugs at the pedal in/out. Don't use the Neutrik ones. They're ****ing huge.

don't those pancake ones have quite a high capacitance? that's what i've heard anyway, dunno if it's true or not. never tried them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't those pancake ones have quite a high capacitance? that's what i've heard anyway, dunno if it's true or not. never tried them

Not really. Like adding 6" of your average cable over the regular right angle plugs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

ah ok, thanks
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't suppose anyone has tried any of the plugs by "Hicon" that are on Thomann? Very cheap, switchcraft style but with a plastic cap on them, wondering if they're any good...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hicon_flunderklinkenstecker_winkel.htm?sid=6340210becd1891f2e17ae5ca799fb94
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by cheesefries
Everything else > Hosa Jacks

I've only got 1 Hosa cable but I've never had an issue with it. What don't you like about them?
I'm a big fan of Amphenol. I have (3) 8 channel snake cables using their TRS and XLR connectors that are every bit as good as the top end Neutrik, at like 1/3 the price. I just ordered 4 of their ACPM-RB-AU connectors from RedCo to build the last two patch cables I need for my pedalboard and they cost less than half the price of the Neutrik connector you're looking at.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm a big fan of Amphenol. I have (3) 8 channel snake cables using their TRS and XLR connectors that are every bit as good as the top end Neutrik, at like 1/3 the price. I just ordered 4 of their ACPM-RB-AU connectors from RedCo to build the last two patch cables I need for my pedalboard and they cost less than half the price of the Neutrik connector you're looking at.

Just looked at those and they look alright, and I'll take your recommendation over Neutrik for the majority of the plugs I want. However I do need some "pancake" slimline ones for a number of pedal as well...

Anyone tried these Hicon plugs?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart