Hey I've been out of the gear buying game for a while and am probably behind so I need some advice. I'm moving out from my house and spending a few months working in the prairies and I am not bringing all my gear. I decided I'm going to buy a small tube amp to take out there with me. My budget is up to $400-500 used and I want a quality combo piece less than 30watts. I want something that mainly has a smooth bluesy sound but can turn up to classic rock when necessary. I also have a mesa v-twin preamp pedal I'll take with me to help out with that. I can't think of too many things less than 30w so please send some suggestions.
Quote by Necronomicon
My budget is up to $400-500 used and I want a quality combo piece less than 30watts.

So a lunchbox stack is out of the question? Only looking at combos? Because for $250 brand new you can get the orange micro terror mini half stack (lunchbox head and 1x8 cab) and don't be fooled by the money, the head kills it. Beautiful clean, great versatile tones and with the gain up can get nice classic rock tones. It honestly blew me away when I tried it. For being a tiny (20w) little thing it can get LOUD and put an OD out front and you could even get some classic metal tones as well (metallica maiden that sorta stuff). It would take up about as much if not maybe a little less than a normal combo.
Also has a headphone jack and auxiliary port if that's what floats your boat

head reviews: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/orange-amplifiers-micro-terror-mt20-20w-hybrid-guitar-amp-head

Both review: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroTerrorBun?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=m&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COzUo-OPu70CFYdFMgodCEoAIQ

For sale: http://ebay.com/itm/231191442264?nav=VI
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Mar 30, 2014,
Vox AC4 sounds like your best bet here, it's in your price range, it's tiny and it will go gt you the classic vox edge of breakup sound which is great for blues and it takes pedals really well so you're sorted if you need a bit more gain for classic rock
AC30 C2 with greenbacks

Fender JA-90 Telecaster
Fender Mexican classic series 60's Telecaster

MXR Noise Clamp
Dunlop Crybaby
Pro-co Rat 2
Fulltone Plimsoul
Electro Harmonix Big Muff W/ Tone Wicker
Mooer Orange 90
Vox Delay Lab
Both of the suggestions look toys to me.
An 8" cab for playing guitar isn't really ideal unless you particularly like the thing.
The thing in question is lacking bass, and you may not wanna lack in bass for playing classic rock.
The AC is even smaller IIRC, so the same applies.

I'd have a look at the egnater tweaker and the rebel the jet city twenty w combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Both of the suggestions look toys to me.
An 8" cab for playing guitar isn't really ideal unless you particularly like the thing.
The thing in question is lacking bass, and you may not wanna lack in bass for playing classic rock.
The AC is even smaller IIRC, so the same applies.

I'd have a look at the egnater tweaker and the rebel the jet city twenty w combo.

^i did not think of that. I tried the micro terror through a 212, may not sound the same through a 1x8. Really is a killer head though. Egnator makes good stuff should check that out
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Cool let us know what you decide upon, best of luck
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
The Class 5 isn't a bad choice but I gotta throw my hat in the ring with the Eganater suggestions.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Fender Super Champ XD. A really solid grab-n-go amp with just enough to run with a drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6PiHd-H2U
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Regardless of what that guy says in that vid, it isn't a tube amp, it's a hybrid. The preamp has a single triode buffer at the end of a purely SS preamp section. The other half of that tube is a cathodyne phase inverter. It's hybrid, end of story. Not a bad hybrid, but a hybrid nonetheless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Regardless of what that guy says in that vid, it isn't a tube amp, it's a hybrid. The preamp has a single triode buffer at the end of a purely SS preamp section. The other half of that tube is a cathodyne phase inverter. It's hybrid, end of story. Not a bad hybrid, but a hybrid nonetheless.

True true. A hybrid amp with modeling front end and tube output to round off the corners. It is surprisingly good tone for a small grab-n-go but I would not trade it for my Mesa. As a practice amp with some huevos... yes!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

It's a pretty good amp for a hybrid. I just wanted the TS to know what it was in case it mattered to him. I think the Super Champ is a great little practice amp, I'd own one. But I'd still take an Egnater any day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it seams as i am always recommending but haven't owned for years and didn't have one long, but a Peavey Classic 30 is a nice little all-a-round blues, classic rock type amp. if i saw one on craigslist myself for $250-300 (that may be a little low), they are nice to gig with. i just got a different combo and have always used heads cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Good call. Classic 30 is a great amp.

Yeah, **** the Egnater (unless you find one for a stoopid price). Classic 30 is the go.

Edit: And stick a Scumback in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Good call. Classic 30 is a great amp.

Yeah, **** the Egnater (unless you find one for a stoopid price). Classic 30 is the go.

Edit: And stick a Scumback in it.

+1

the only thing i would buy ever again from egnater is a Rebel 20/30. i owned one tweaker one renegade. i had a rebel 20 and Rebel 30 and 30 and i returned each rebel.

the renegade wasn't bad though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I do like the classic 30 - I play through a Laney LC30 right now which is pretty similar but I'm leaving that one at home and going for the smaller one out west. I Love the fact that the 30watts get pretty loud when you crank them but I'm going to be living close quarters for a little while so I want something with a little less firepower too. Going to search Kijiji tmw and see what I can find from this list.
Last edited by Necronomicon at Mar 31, 2014,
It's just a 1x12 combo, it's not that big. Anything smaller than a 12" speaker will be bollocks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's just a 1x12 combo, it's not that big. Anything smaller than a 12" speaker will be bollocks.

+3.1415 they aren't huge amps either even being a combo.

i have a 1x12" combo, that per manual weighs 92 lbs. thats heavier than my 2x12" music man. big difference. but the Classic 30 is smaller and lighter than a lot of 1x12"s i don't know what else to really recommend. orange tiny terror? orange dual terror (i have one and love it). head is in a fitted soft case whenever you go a 1x12" cab would be easy to carry around to put it on two, but the cab kind of makes that null. IMO
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 31, 2014,
The Classic 30 is only 40 lb and it's a pretty small box. It's a baby.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Anything smaller than a 12" speaker will be bollocks.

I'd say if you want huge tone in a small amp, a 12" speaker is totally unnecessary. Sound check these tracks and see if you agree:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-huge-sounds-recorded-521.aspx

A slightly different approach to massive guitar tone:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul08/articles/guitartech_0708.htm

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 31, 2014,
a 10" speaker on a vintage champ if made a combo would be€ the same dimension. as Cath built one. less control less features. i have built a 1974X (again cath built one as well) but i added a PPIMV but its stil loud as all hell even with the master.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As you have the V Twin pedal, how about a Laney Cub12? 12" speaker, 15watts. Dunno about price in North America, but could be worth a look
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
The Bad Cat Cougar 5 might be worth checking out, i've seen a couple of used ones in your price range.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Come on this is an exaggerated generalization, the 4x10 tweed bassman has the second best cleans ever.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
He aint looking at 4x10's, he's looking at single speaker setups.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification