Bands like A day to remember, asking alexandria, sleeping with sirens, bring me the horizon.

I took a break from guitar for two years and I'm trying to get my skills back, so I'm not as quick on the pick as I used to be. I notice when I play their riffs along with them (even with my tuning still up in standard with a lowered E string) it has that "hardcore" sound. I try to improv or write something with just me playing and all I hear is a major, and frankly kinda boring, riff.
Those bands are not hardcore and are a disgrace to actual hardcore. In order to get that sound drop tune as low as you can and chug like your depressed uncle. Hardcore is a subgenre of punk and honestly these bands are not hardcore at all they are the pusscore
Decepticons everywhere, decepticons everywhere.
yeah shit bands mate, that aside tune low and palm mute really. Honestly i don't know how your writing could be off if its major boring riff since that is what those bands you name do.
Nice, guys, really welcoming. Please remember: we are not in this forum to judge, we are only here to help; if you can't help then shut the hell up.

TS: Those bands aren't hardcore. I'm not judging but if you search for hardcore music looking for help you won't find what you're looking for.

I'm entirely unfamiliar with the music you're talking about but really what you need to do is look really closely at what they do and identify exactly what it is about the sound that's so characteristic to you. Don't just limit yourself to guitar either, it could very well be that the riffs you're writing sound really underwhelming without the rest of the band.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Those bands all play around Drop A or so first off. Also what guitar and more importantly amp are you using? You won't get a sound like there's if you're using a shitty practice amp with an awful low end.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nice, guys, really welcoming. Please remember: we are not in this forum to judge, we are only here to help; if you can't help then shut the hell up.

TS: Those bands aren't hardcore. I'm not judging but if you search for hardcore music looking for help you won't find what you're looking for.

I'm entirely unfamiliar with the music you're talking about but really what you need to do is look really closely at what they do and identify exactly what it is about the sound that's so characteristic to you. Don't just limit yourself to guitar either, it could very well be that the riffs you're writing sound really underwhelming without the rest of the band.

You're right. That was mean of me, but as a fan of hardcore/post-hardcore it gets really annoying when people put these newer "pop-core" bands into the same vein. Not that genre's really matter but it's just that both styles have entirely different ideals and to call them the same is ignorant. Also, I was mainly joking to him.

And honestly if you want to play like that go with the aforementioned drop A and maybe experiment with writing in weird time signatures, also learn some blues scales and polish up your pinch harmonics. That's all I gots. To me the most obvious way to emulate is to learn albums back to back and decipher what's going on musically as you play it. Although emulation should never be the goal, I'm not sure how many people would go to see a Bring Me the Horizon cover band....
Quote by YuckFoo
And honestly if you want to play like that go with the aforementioned drop A and maybe experiment with writing in weird time signatures, also learn some blues scales and polish up your pinch harmonics. That's all I gots. To me the most obvious way to emulate is to learn albums back to back and decipher what's going on musically as you play it.

I can't think of one instance where any of those bands use weird time signatures. They rarely ever stray outside of 4/4. I don't listen to any of them anymore but i used to listen to a ****load of BmtH back in 2006/7 and that was during their most technical era, and pretty positive everything was in 4/4.
The rest i can agree with however.
Quote by vayne92
I can't think of one instance where any of those bands use weird time signatures. They rarely ever stray outside of 4/4. I don't listen to any of them anymore but i used to listen to a ****load of BmtH back in 2006/7 and that was during their most technical era, and pretty positive everything was in 4/4.
The rest i can agree with however.

I honestly was just guessing, I've never even dabbled in that music. I play mostly post-hardcore/noise rock. But learning weird time signatures would still benefit you if your into that kind of music. There's a whole bunch of metal based around pretty much just that.
Quote by YuckFoo
I honestly was just guessing, I've never even dabbled in that music. I play mostly post-hardcore/noise rock. But learning weird time signatures would still benefit you if your into that kind of music. There's a whole bunch of metal based around pretty much just that.

Sure learning about time signatures in general is good for any guitarist, but it's not gonna be of much use in that genre of music really. I should know, it's all i played for like my first 3 years.
Progressive metal sure you definitely need to know your time signatures if you want to keep time. I've played a lot of progressive metal in this last year and i can think of many instances (even yesterday) where I've had to closely analyze and listen carefully to the time signature's to keep in time. That being said those bands aren't very similar to progressive metal bands (thinking Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater etc). Until the day he starts listening to progressive metal he doesn't really need to know much outside 4/4.