This is somewhat related to a thread I started earlier. But I like the light weight feel and comfortability of a hollow body guitar. However I realize that they are primarily made for a jazzier sound. So is there either a semi-hollow with a deep body that feels close to a hollow body, or perhaps even a hollow body guitar you can recommend that has a versatile sound for blues and rock?

thanks
As a matter of physics, I think most semihollows will be relatively shallow-bodied compared to a typical hollowbody. Designing them otherwise would mean a whole bunch of material, and thus, weight.

Right now, the three companies making my favorite hollowbodies & semihollows are Godin, Hagstrom and Reverend. While I also really like some of the Epiphones, Gretshes and the Ibanez Artcore series, I feel those other three have overtaken them IMHO.

Were I buying today (under $1000), I'd be looking at a Reverend Manta Ray or Club King, a Godin Kingpin II, and the Hagstrom Tremar Deuce-F.

Around $1200-1800, there's the Godin Montreal series and Reverend's Tricky Gomez and Pete Anderson hollowbody. However, at that price, you also get some of the better Gretsch guitars, plus beauties like the Carvin SH-550, as well as good options from some American luthiers, like Jon Kammerer, Rock Beach, or Rice customs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hollowbody guitars do rock and blues just fine. You just don’t see people do it often because they tend to feed back on stage. But there are ways to deal with that.
Quote by ddkk1
This is somewhat related to a thread I started earlier. But I like the light weight feel and comfortability of a hollow body guitar.

The wood needed to make it a semi-hollowbody would take away the "lightweight feel" of a deep-bodied hollow body.

There are options... I know of more than one person who's taken a guitar like the ES-175 and put a post from beneath the pickups to the back of the guitar internally to reduce feedback. But at that point, you're essentially defeating the purpose of the deep body, so you may just as well go back to the thinner bodied guitars.
Jon Kammerer has patented designs that reduce the amount of feedback his semihollows and hollowbody guitars suffer.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.kammerer.3

http://jonkammererguitars.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 31, 2014,