Hello All

Looking at getting a new guitar and I really like the look of PRS guitars. They've been my dream guitar since I started playing but I've never been able to afford one until now. My current guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom which I love but have a few issues with. The PRS I would probably get would be the PRS SE Custom 24 Quilted Top Emerald Green. How tonally different would this be to the Les Paul? Would it be worth buying a PRS and keeping the Les Paul or would the PRS do everything the Les Paul could do and therefore I should sell it? A few things to consider:

Things I don't like about the Les Paul: Would the PRS be better for any of these?

Uncomfortable to play sitting down,
Weighs a bloody tonne!
Neck feels too thick, Uncomfortable to play for long periods of time,
because of where the neck join is it isn't easy or comfortable to play beyond the 15th fret
Not very good with lower tunings, Doesn't like Drop C very much and lower than that becomes unplayable

Styles of music I play: Would a PRS do these well?

Pop Punk (Blink 182, Greenday, The Offspring)
Pop Rock (Nickleback(though I think a PRS will be fine here as he plays one))
Classic Rock (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Blue Oyster Cult, Guns 'n' Roses)
Heavier Rock (A7X, A Day To Remember

How I play:

Generally Rhythm because I find it easier but would like to get into more lead stuff but a thinner neck and easy access to higher frets would be essential to that
I prefer to play anything rhythm between the 3rd and 8th frets, Lead 12th-15th
Struggle with bends so needs to nice/easy to bend
love two hand tapping
Like it nice and easy to barre as I'm not amazing at that

MAX BUDGET OF £700. NO MORE

Main Questions:

Should I buy a PRS to REPLACE my Les Paul
OR
Buy a PRS to COMPLIMENT my Les Paul
OR
Keep my Les Paul and buy a different guitar (Probably Schecter,Ibanez,Jackson or Gibson SGJ)

Sorry for such a long post but thought details would help me get more accurate answers to my questions.

Thank you in advance
A PRS is not a Les Paul substitute, so keep both guitars if you can.

There is really nothing you've listed in terms of bands that a good Les Paul cannot do well.

Les Pauls are darker sounding, due partly to their pickups, but also in part to the construction of the guitar itself. PRS guitars generally sound like a halfway house between a Strat and a Les Paul, which makes sense because they tend to share elements with both guitars.
Not very good with lower tunings, Doesn't like Drop C very much and lower than that becomes unplayable

Getting a heavier set of strings appropriate for the tuning you're using will fix this problem. You cannot tune down as low as C standard from something like E Standard and expect a playable guitar.

The scale length of PRS SE guitars are generally only 1/4" longer than a Les Pauls, so the difference in string tension relative to tuning and gauge is going to be insignificant compared to what you already have.
Generally Rhythm because I find it easier but would like to get into more lead stuff but a thinner neck and easy access to higher frets would be essential to that

They're not essential for that sort of style of playing, but I appreciate if you'd rather have something different.

PRS guitars from my understanding tend to have very wide necks. Whether or not you'll like that is up to you and you only, so I cannot comment. The neck joint on a lot of PRS guitars also tends to be blocky as well, so getting a PRS SE might not solve the problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 30, 2014,
Okay thanks that's been a big help, going to go guitar shopping as soon as I can so I'll try some guitars with thinner necks but I've never been able to find a 'metal' guitar (Schecter, Ibanez, BC Rich, Jackson) that feels and sounds right. I can't explain it, I'll probably end up building myself a guitar haha.
I fidn the neck of my SE similar to the LTD's and the Fender Tele i have. Its in between the 3. Not too chunky but not as thin as an ibanez neck.
Currently set up in drop C# and it holds that well with the trem on it. #

sound wise its gonna sound similar, but slightly different, probs a bit brighter? Different pickups and woods give different sound, but most of my lot are high out put passives each give their own little bit of difference played through my amp.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
i may have missed this, but are are talking about SE? CE? CU?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd get the PRS SE Custom 24 and keep the Les Paul as well.

Not only they're two very different guitars, so it's nice to have the variety, but it also allows you to have the guitars set up for different tunings (for example, PRS for drop-C and Les Paul for standard/drop-D).

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i may have missed this, but are are talking about SE? CE? CU?

SE, it's right on the first paragraph of the first post.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Thanks guys it's interesting to hear your opinions, on a slightly different topic anyone know about ASG guitars? What are they like compared to a LesPaul?
Generic MIC guitars with a basic print finish. They're like your Epi LP, but worse.

edit: My mistake, the basic parts are MIK and they are finished off in California. They're still generic, mass-produced bodies with crap wood, hardware and electronics
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 31, 2014,
Best thing to do here is go out and try a few guitars.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Best thing to do here is go out and try a few guitars.

This.

Then buy my LTD

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by JustGuitar98
How much and where are you?

Might have just sold it (pending payment/collection yet)
But £300 and Wolves, Location is also on my profile

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals