So despite playing guitar for over 10 years, I've survived with only a crappy 15-watt VOX practice amp, and it's definitely time for an upgrade. Looking at modeling amps due to their versatility - I don't have the money to spend on tons of pedals, but I like having access to a lot of options.

I'm playing an Ibanez S-Series that I run into my Vox VTX15 (which is on its deathbed). I've been using a Boss Power Stack pedal for distortion, but I'm not super-happy with the tone and will probably neglect the hell out of it once I get a new amp.

Genre-wise, I play progressive rock, hard rock, pop-punk, and metal. I'd really like my go-to rhythm tone to hit somewhere between Coheed and Cambria and Protest the Hero (basically a meaty hard rock sound, I guess). But as I said, I'm really looking for something versatile - I'd love to be able to play metal and jazzy stuff as well. Cleans are a must, and I need to be able to customize things like delay time to a T.

I'm hoping to use this for both practice and small gigs (bars and such), so at the very least it needs to be loud enough to hear over drums. I do a fair bit of recording as well.

As far as budget goes, I'm probably gonna say somewhere around $600 is my max, though I'm a bit flexible. I realize I'm not going to get the World's Best Tone(TM) for that kind of money, but as I said, I'm going for versatility, not perfection. Probably sticking with new instead of used - I want this sucker to last a while.

Oh, and I live in Louisville. There's a Guitar Center and plenty of small music shops nearby.

The three amps I've been looking closest at are the Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Spider, and Fender Mustang. Most likely, I'd be purchasing the accompanying footswitch/controller for gigs and so I can have access to wah/looping/etc. I've tried them all out in person and didn't notice many huge differences between them, but if it's not clear by now, I'm not exactly an expert. The other thing is that if I do go for one of those three, which version should I get? (VIP 3 or Pro? 30 or 75 watt?)

Anyways, that's my wall of text. Hope y'all can help me out! Thanks in advance.
Look into a Vypyr Tube 60. I'm not sure if it will get the delay you're looking for though.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Look into a Vypyr Tube 60. I'm not sure if it will get the delay you're looking for though.

I can second this. I don't hold a very high opinion of modeling amps but my guitarist had a vyyper 100 I think and it sounds great.

If I were you I'd look into getting the pedalboard that comes with it too.
Decepticons everywhere, decepticons everywhere.
+1. You described a Vyper Tube 60 to me.

Also, theres some pretty versatile amps out there. Egnater Rebel, Fender Super Sonic, Marshall jcm2000 to name a few. Are you sure you want a modeling amp? (Not that theres anything wrong with the vyper).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Mar 30, 2014,
peavey ultra (or +, i don't remember which) are great all around and they can be found really cheap even in a 1x12".

honestly i am not sure which i would take if i were looking what you were looking for.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Alright, I'll definitely look into the Vypyr Tube 60! Seems pretty popular.

Quote by lucky1978
Are you sure you want a modeling amp?

Yeah, that's the way I've been leaning. The stuff I play and write tends to have a lot of different effects. Being able to switch between several different settings on the fly (and have access to delay, wah, etc.) would be a godsend.

To put it another way: if money weren't an issue, I'd get an Axe-FX II.
I picked up a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 Mk1 for $125. Love the thing. You just need a good floorboard or something to control it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
have you entertain the idea of a mfx processor and tube amp?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Stick a Pod in front of an RM100.

Or if you want simpler/cheaper, a Pod HD500 and a nice powered wedge (say JBL or Yamaha).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
a Pod HD500 and a nice powered wedge (say JBL or Yamaha).

If you want to go full Monty modeling, this is a pretty good setup. I have used a Vox Tonelab LE into a JBL Eon15 with good results. Tommy Emanuel and Larry Carlton were using a similar setup a while back and they both sounded great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
f you like effects and they are high priority for you, get a pod or something. The new pods are amazing, much better than the Vypyr. A wedge and you could do anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm gonna be different here and bring up the Randall rm100. It's a a modular amp, tube. And u can buy all different types of moduals for whatever sound you can think of. May be better than a modeler
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
I'm gonna be different here and bring up the Randall rm100. It's a a modular amp, tube. And u can buy all different types of moduals for whatever sound you can think of. May be better than a modeler

Great idea, was looking into them a few months ago. Sadly discontinued but big 2nd hand used community.
Quote by diabolical
Great idea, was looking into them a few months ago. Sadly discontinued but big 2nd hand used community.

My thoughts exactly

Waffling waffle this should last you the next 10 years instead of modeling different amps why not have the real thing. And you can have a different modual for each channel I.e. you could have fender cleans, boogie crunch, and 6505 lead. Or you could have a marshal crunch and a soldano lead. Any combination you could want. And its tube so it'll sound much better. Really something you should consider
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 1, 2014,