Short and sweet, rediscovered a guitar I haven't played in probably about five or six years.It looks great, and plays pretty well, but being as it's sat collecting dust under tension for over half a decade, it's in need of a setup, and the fretwire needs filing on the sides. Tone is good for the most part, and the neck pickup is fine for now, but the bridge pickup just feels undefined. It feels like a generic bridge humbucker. It's not a bad tone, but it's really not that compelling or pleasing.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. Preferably no more than $80-$90 USD. I want something that, compared to the generic stock humbucker has a tighter, less boomy low-end, more top-end clarity, and a more refined midrange. Basically, I want a humbucker that's more articulate and punchy. It'll be going into a set-neck all-mahogany double-cut with a maple cap and ebony fretboard, if wood(s) effects recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 30, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2014,
Unfortunately, those are all just out of my price range. I'll keep them in consideration, but preferably I'd like to find something just a little bit cheaper.

I thought your budget was for a single HB. Looking around, the Alumitone HB and HyperVintage can be bought for as little as $99 (see zZounds, StewMac, etc.). Over budget, yes, but not outrageously so.

And the Teslas are $78 for the VR-60 and $82 for the OPUS-1.

The Alumitones are the cleanest pickups I've ever heard, but may not have the character you're looking for. The others are also quite clean, but may be closer to the tone you're hearing in your head.

Another to consider would be the Golden Age humbuckers. I have a pair of those in a pretty pricey guitar, and it is a sweet-sounding axe.

http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping?actn=search&keyword=golden+age+pickup&x=24&y=12
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 31, 2014,
It is for a single, but I'm a college student, which means money is tight. Even $10 over is stretching it. How are the Alumitones with distortion? The stock bridge pickup is clear enough clean, but it's a really bland clean that needs more pop and a tighter low-end. It's the dirty sound that really needs the added clarity.

The Golden Ages have my attention, but what's the difference between alnico II and alnico V? I know about ceramic vs. alnico, but I don't know much about different types of alnico.

All Alumitones can be very clean, and can handle distortion just fine. But if you want one with a better distorted voice, you'd probably want the Deathbucker.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LACDEATH

But the way you described try our goal just then, I'd say RailHammer is the better bet because of the design. But instead of the HyperVintage, I'd go for the Chisel. Maybe the Anvil if you want a more metal type output.

And the Tesla VR-Extreme would be a better option than the other 2 Tesla pickups I suggested.

As for the magnets:

The 5s have a more bass and treble and usually sound brighter while the 2s are more mid orientated and warm and often used to round a very bright guitar.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 31, 2014,
Before you file the fret ends too much, re-hydrate the fingerboard with some bore oil or lemon oil, a couple of light applications over a week and leave another week.

With PUs you can get more definition with some by screwing the PU into the body away from the strings and then raising the pole piece screws under each string. The effect can be varied depending on the make of PU and the guitar.
paf pro, if you don't mind lowish output
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You described almost exactly how a Dimarzio Crunchlab sounds.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬