Looking to get a second guitar. Used to have a Epi LP-100 & LTD MH-53 but have sold both of them a while ago and now have a Gibson SG faded. Looking for something that can get a hard rock/alt metal/thrashy i.e. AiC,Tool,Soundgarden,Metallica etc kind of sound. Don't really want to spend more than about $650 I think so for that price I'll probably go used. Could probably spend more but seems that I could probably get a good price used guitar for about that much rather than new and lesser quality. Amp is a Bugera 333XL212 but probably will replace it with a Marshall DSL/JVM if I need to.

Also need something that stays in tune well, so probably nothing of lower quality and would prefer it to have a slimmer neck than my SG.

So far I'm looking at:
-LTD M-1000 (used, but not sure if I want a guitar with a FR again)
-G&L Rampage (new, have no experience with kahler though and I hear the trems on these particular guitars have issues)
-I've tried a Gibson LPJ but didn't really like it much
-Maybe a PRS SE, don't know what the quality on these are like
-Also tried a Gibson LP future tribute but probably a bit too expensive
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 30, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2014,
All of them are ugly except for the dragon fly elite and Godin. But if you didn't notice I'm located in Australia and there don't seem to be many dealers for them here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 30, 2014,
Didn't notice you're in Australia. Still, even if the Fernandes online store doesn't ship there, Fernandes/Burny is a a fairly big Japanese guitar maker- you might try some of the Asian websites.

Godin usually has distribution with major retailers- I know Thomann carries Godin, for instance. MF does some international shipping, but I don't know if they do your region.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2014,
There doesn't seem to be any dealers for either of those brands in my state. Best if I stick to Gibson/LTD etc where I can actually try out the guitars.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
The prs se line is some really good stuff. Out of all the guitars you named, except maybe the g&l, I would say the prs is the best quality and most versatile of the bunch. I would suggest trying each guitar if possible. It comes down to how they feel in your hands.
I'm seriously considering the LTD M-1000. It's a 2005 guitar but looks to be in like 9/10 condition at least and a great guitar for $450-500. Only thing 'wrong' with it I can find is a few of the saddle screws have rusted. He said it used to go sharp a bit on big dimebag style 'pullups' but maybe it wasn't setup properly or he was just pushing the trem too hard.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the FR sound. I've had a guitar with one before (LTD MH-53 so a cheap one obviously) and they're not too much pain of a pain to setup properly but I wasn't a fan of the way it had a kind of resonant reverb to it.

Do all guitars with FRs have this or would the effect maybe be at least reduced with a proper floyd and active pickups?

And would I be able to put a D-Tuna or similar device on the FR?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 31, 2014,