I have my choice between a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 or a Fender Squier Strat (Not Affinity Series). I've never played a Les Paul, but I would love to have one because I play Marilyn Manson and Slayer a lot so the humbuckers would be nice. I've played a lot of Strats and like them. Which should I buy?
They are very close in quality, it comes down to taste. You seem to like some hum-bucker goodness though so I'd pull the trigger on the epi.
Thanks Starcounter! I've decided to spend 10 bucks more and get the Les Paul. Been listening to the guitar parts on Manson stuff a lot more lately (I'm a bassist) and noticed the humbuckers would be better. I used to have a strat and it barely made enough of an aggressive tone to cover any Manson without turning my distortion pedal all the way up along with another distortion pedal
Quote by Starcounter1
They are very close in quality (...)

I don't agree. Epi Specials always feel like toys to me, and i've played a bunch of different ones since they're very popular among beginners around here.
They look cheap, play cheap... Overall, i don't like them since there are better options on the same price range.

That said, a Strat with single coils wouldn't be an option either, since TS definitely needs a guitar with humbuckers (or at least one humbucker on the bridge).

TS, if you give us this information we can probably help you find a better guitar to suit your needs:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Epiphones & Squiers have a different feeling. I find Epiphones to be horrible extremely cheap feeling guitars most of the time, and I prefer Gibson over Fender. Squiers obviously aren't great guitars but they feel more playable to me and their tone whilst crap isn't complete mud like an Epiphone. I would recommend a Squier fat strat.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 31, 2014,
I'd agree that a Squire would definitely be the the wrong choice for you. However I really don't like the lower Epiphone Models, as said above they look and play cheap and that is not because I'm a Gibson snob, I play an Epiphone myself.
I think you'd be better of looking at smaller but equally good brands, my suggestions being Jackson and Ibanez.

Here's a Jackson that would suit your music tastes pretty well: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13070813133832

Hope this helps.
I play an Epi Thunderbird bass and there is like no difference between the pickups and the only differences are a little weight, neck through, and I think that's about it. Played a few other Epi stuff and I enjoyed them. And trust me, I'm experienced enough to tell the difference between a shitty guitar and a good one. I'll just have to test it out and let you guys know what I think