Good day all!

I am just asking for recommendations on players that use more of a lead approach to chord and rhythm playing, since i recently got a new student that is very keen on diving deeper into that style, and i realized that i only know a handful of players that do that style regularly. Namely Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson, John Mayer and Richie Kotzen.

Without asking too much, what are some other players/bands that use this style of playing a lot?

I am speaking of playing in the style of Jimi Hendrix "Little Wing", Andy Timmons "Electric Gypsy", Eric Johnson "SRV" and "Manhattan", Richie Kotzen "Rust" "Ready" and "The Bitter End".

I asked this question in the "suggest me a song thread", but made a similar post here since sticked threads don't draw as much attention. I apologize if this was wrong of me to do, i don't normally post these kinds of posts.

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
John Frusciante. Best guitarist in my opinion. Of Red Hot Chili Peppers fame.
Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, and a ton of jazz players. Chord-melody solos were all the rage with archtop jazz players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40eVSr6eUI
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, and a ton of jazz players. Chord-melody solos were all the rage with archtop jazz players.

I am very well aware of the jazz field of players, being one myself. For clarification, i am not asking about chord-melody stuff in that vein of jazz and fusion music, but more like in the examples i gave which have more of a pop/rock kind of vibe.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
John Squire
Johnny Marr
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Or Brian May for that matter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Riginols:
Mark Knopfler: Brothers In Arms, Sultans Of Swing
The Edge (U2): Where The Streets Have No Name
Jimmy Page: You Shook Me
Ted Nugent: Stranglehold

Kuvvas:
Jeff Healey: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George Harrison)
Angus Young (ACDC): Baby Please Don't Go (Van Morrison & Them)
Alvin Lee (RIP) Ten Years After: I'm Going Home (Helicopter)
Roy Buchanan: Hey Joe (Billy Roberts & Grits)

Mabes:
Steve Stevens & Billy Idol: White Wedding
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top): Legs, Gimme All Your Lovin'
Keith Richards (Stones): Start Me Up?
Nile Rogers (David Bowie): Lets Dance

I know they're not in the style of... but they were/still are POPular and ROCK
I dunno, I was trying to be random??
Unfortunately very few guitarists seem to focus on that style... I'm actually obsessed with that style, so I have a few recommendations for you:

Check out Eric Gales, his rhythm work is excellent ( he's like a blend of Hendrix and Eric Johnson) - he has some material that fits that style, when he's not ripping up the fretboard. Wings of Rock and Roll and Freedom from my Demons from "Eric Gales Live" are good examples - they're on itunes.

Bill Frisell's recent material has a great blend of rthythm and lead. Check out his John Lennon covers project ( there's a concert on you tube I believe) for a more pop centered performance. He 's really amazing at blending chords and single note lines in a rhythm/lead context. If you're interested in expanding your talent level, he's a great player to study, he uses sustained notes in a way that is really unique. If you want to learn something new that isn't merely a fairly straight copy of Hendrix's style, like John Mayer for instance, this is a good place to look.
Plini (e.g. Opening)
Sithu Aye (e.g. Double Helix)
Misha Mansoor (e.g. All New Materials)

None of those three use that style a lot but those songs are better examples of them using it.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Though not a large portion of their work Man of the World by Fleetwood Mac is a good song to look at for melodies within chords, though it may not be what you're looking for.
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I'll take a shot. Robin Trower is great, not to mention his tone in general. Check out the Living Out of Time Live dvd (I'm pretty sure the whole thing is on youtube)
Really only Half-Omniscient
Thomas erak's (fall of troy) style is pretty much the very definition of mixing rhythm and lead. you should check out some other progressive post-hardcore bands since that style seems to be pretty popular with them. Dance gavin dance is a good example. same with bands like "chon", "hail the sun", and "circa survive"
Last edited by pAWNlol at Apr 2, 2014,