Page 1 of 8
Hey guys!

Just a small exercise! What are those things which your non-musician friends always assume about your instruments and playing? Sometimes, the stuff just gets silly.

I'll start off with a simple one. Some poeple assume that distortion results from using the electric guitar.

It's so funny when people see me playing clean and are confused about why the guitar is sounding like that.

Any similar stories?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Before I played guitar, i thought the switch to change pick-ups switched between clean and distortion.

I had someone ask me how a guitar made that sound in the middle of a solo - it was a lightly distorted guitar letting two notes ring out on different strings. I'd imagine those kind of things are interesting to non-musicians. Either that or they don't care at all
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
"I can do that heavy metal stuff, it's just banging away on the strings and making a lot of noise, isn't it?"
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Upon seeing my electric guitar, a girl asked if it was "a guitar that was electric." ASKED.

Also the accordion raises so very, very, many questions. Anyone with a shred of musical theory gets it though.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I'm gonna get so chided for saying this but:

Many people think that people playing odd time signatures other than 3/4 can't play music properly.
(Yeah, I went there.....Again)

I just shudder when I see people react to Rational Gaze. But it's actually funny to see people attempting to listen to Dance Of Eternity.

Also, Jazz musicians apparently can't play in tune.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Last edited by shawnkenneth at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by shawnkenneth
Also, Jazz musicians apparently can't play in tune.

But that is not an assumption, it's the truth!
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by shawnkenneth
I'll start off with a simple one. Some poeple assume that distortion results from using the electric guitar.

I used to think this before picking up an electric guitar. I thought you needed an effects pedal to make it sound clean.

People often assume that playing guitar also gives you an ability to sing well.
People seem to assume that because you play an instrument you automatically know how to play every song ever written upon request.
My dad always played guitar, so I wasn't too ignorant about that kind of stuff.

I did use to think easy shit on guitar was pretty damn impressive. Easy tapping and powerchords seem to be enough to impress a lot of people when I was a teenager.

In person no one's every seemed sincerely impressed by my electronic/DAW compositions and recordings. I know it's not everyone's taste but some think it's just computers playing.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by DardySon
People seem to assume that because you play an instrument you automatically know how to play every song ever written upon request.

Lol +1

People believe that The Dillinger Escape Plan just randomly beat their instruments without any structure or skill at all when it is literally the opposite
The only one I can think of is not knowing what the tuning pegs are for.

And asking you if you play acoustic or electric but that's just fun because I can say both and impress them even further.

Quote by -Mantra-

Hot. Damn.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Mar 31, 2014,
When I first started playing guitar, I thought that the sound of a pick scrape was produced by a slide, and that a slide was called a capo. The music store clerks I inquired with were very confused.
My roommate in college tried playing my bass once. Instead of actually playing, he just pressed the strings down without releasing them, and then wondered why there was no sound ..
Everything is screamo
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Oyface
My roommate in college tried playing my bass once. Instead of actually playing, he just pressed the strings down without releasing them, and then wondered why there was no sound ..

This reminds me... My schoolmate bought a bass when I just started playing guitar and brought it to school because he had practice right after class. During recess I asked him if he could show it to me and we went to the lockers to get it.

Upon demonstrating his mad skills to me some younger kids came buy and of course stopped to watch when they saw us. We told them to fuck off right away because it wasn't a goddamn street performance.

Anyhoo, they just ignore us and stand there for a few minutes. I'm not sure what they expected but they started saying stuff along the lines of 'Omg, he's faking it', 'Wow, you're not even playing it, there's no sound' etc. We tried to explain to them how electric instruments and sound amplification work but they just got pissed and started yelling. Some teacher nearby heard this and came to check. She ended up blaming us because we were 'disturbing the peace' or something along those lines.

I think they expected some kind of public performance or something which is weird since the lockers were in a fairly secluded are that didn't get a lot of people except in the morning and afternoon when kids were coming to / leaving school.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
according to my dad, grunting is simply "burping in the microphone"
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by shawnkenneth
Many people think that people playing odd time signatures other than 3/4 can't play music properly.
(Yeah, I went there.....Again)

3/4 isn't an "odd time signature" at all. It's extremely common. You know, hundreds of years of waltzes. Same thing with 6/8, 9/8, and 12/8 with jigs and all that and 2/4 and polkas and stuff.

That aside... Has anyone that isn't a musician actually ever said that to you? Because otherwise you're just making it up that people think that.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
lol, I've caught people thinking that playing with a capo means you must be good, and playing with more than one capo makes you amazing, as well as thinking that singers are the best guitarists, and finger-picking chords is the epitome of fancy guitar playing
"He plays guitar in his room and considers himself a musician?"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by theogonia777
3/4 isn't an "odd time signature" at all. It's extremely common. You know, hundreds of years of waltzes. Same thing with 6/8, 9/8, and 12/8 with jigs and all that and 2/4 and polkas and stuff.

That aside... Has anyone that isn't a musician actually ever said that to you? Because otherwise you're just making it up that people think that.

Sheesh.

'Odd' Time signature doesn't always mean 'Uncommon' or 'Complex' time signatures.

From the Wikipedia link (Yes, I do use it now):

Signatures that do not fit the usual duple or triple categories are called complex, asymmetric, irregular, unusual, or odd—though these are broad terms, and usually a more specific description is appropriate.[citation needed] The term odd meter, however, sometimes describes time signatures in which the upper number is simply odd rather than even, including 3/4 and 9/8.[9]

This is what I meant. And if you'll draw your attention back to my comment you'll notice that I did make it a point to mention that 3/4 is one odd time sig which they do enjoy. And yeah, the ones you mentioned like 2/4, 6/8, 9/8 etc. are quite common and quite accessible but the fact remains that they are still 'odd'.

And yes, many non-musicians have said that to me. If they can't follow a piece of music which includes odd time signatures.

But again, clarification is required. They are not musicians, and they do not know what time signatures mean. And if you're used to listening to 4/4 and 3/4, anything else will seem difficult to follow. The point is that, we as musicians will give credit to such bands and songs and not write them off as mistakes because we're aware of the fact that odd time sigs exist and that they're supposed to sound like that. This is independent to whether you enjoy the song or not.

And when they point out the error they simply say 'There's a mistake'. I wanted to mention this because long back I remember you saying that I was wrong since these people who don't know what odd time signatures are shouldn't find any difference between different time signatures (Or you said something similar. I don't quite remember).

Now this does depend on the song in question. I mean, if the song is badly written or has some jarring transitions, which you can't follow like how you'd follow a normal simple 4/4 song, then you're bound to notice them explicitly.

Master of Puppets is a good example. So is Time. They both have odd time sigs but you don't think twice about them. They're just so well written.

What's weird is that before I knew what 11/16 was I'd not even try to follow the part. I'd give up as soon as I heard it and write it off as a mistake. Once I realized that it is 11/16 I'd start counting the notes and now I've found that there's a way to enjoy it. For some pieces, if I'm aware of the time signature, I can somehow follow it, no matter how jarring it might be. This is unique to me.

I would think that this is common sense to anyone. But some people are better at it and can follow some very tough

In the interest of full disclosure, if you still find some error in what I'm trying to say, then please do ask me. Let's clear this up once and for all.

EDIT: Yeah, that's right. When I prove my point you have nothing to say do you? Lol.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by ChucklesMginty
If only they knew that proper guitar playing is doing sick ass 7 string sweeps in your bedroom with too much distortion.

apparently I struck..... a chord ba-dum-ch
Never really had anyone say anything aside from the usual "can you play __" or "oh cool what's the name of your band?!". But I also don't go around telling everyone I play.
Quote by sickman411
You do think twice about Master of Puppets. It sounds really forced. And when you say Time, presumably you mean Money?

Oops, I do. Sorry, my mistake. I always mix them up mainly because I listened to Money for years without knowing the name of the song. Parents used to play it at home

But I don't agree with Master of Puppets. It was jarring the first two times. After that, It felt pseudo-natural(to me).
Quote by slapsymcdougal

-That playing with distortion takes skill and is for advanced players
-That "extreme metal" is just mashing random notes and rhythms
-That electric is way harder than classical
-That capos are skill related
-That a riff is a technique
-That pickups is just decoration
-That tapping is extremely advanced and for pros only
Quote by fanapathy
-That playing with distortion takes skill and is for advanced players
-That "extreme metal" is just mashing random notes and rhythms
-That electric is way harder than classical
-That capos are skill related
-That a riff is a technique
-That pickups is just decoration
-That tapping is extremely advanced and for pros only

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here! That tapping one comes useful sometimes. Especially when you want to impress people within a few seconds.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by captainsnazz
My non musician friends always assume that dubstep is a combination of dub music and step music.

You know what, it's time to stop acting like a prick.

Please enlighten me. If Dubstep isn't derived from Dub and 2-Step Garage, please do tell me what it's roots are. I'm curious to know.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by shawnkenneth

Please enlighten me. If Dubstep isn't derived from Dub and 2-Step Garage, please do tell me what it's roots are. I'm curious to know.

Dubstep has become an umbrella term for anything with wobble/lfo modulation.
Quote by shawnkenneth

It's never time to stop acting like a prick

For real though I'm feeling nice today so I'll say this: it's nothing personal. If you can't learn to laugh along with funny things you said then you're gonna have a pretty tough time in life.

Quote by stratkat

Nice try but this isn't gonna work
Quote by captainsnazz
It's never time to stop acting like a prick

For real though I'm feeling nice today so I'll say this: it's nothing personal. If you can't learn to laugh along with funny things you said then you're gonna have a pretty tough time in life.

I did laugh along with it. It was funny. But the part where you refer to me as a non-musician was not. And I really am curious as to your definition of Dubstep (Seriously, not in a piseed-off way)

Quote by stratkat

Not amongst the *GASP* Dubstep elititsts like Will or that snazz-whatever guy.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by shawnkenneth
I did laugh along with it. It was funny. But the part where you refer to me as a non-musician was not. And I really am curious as to your definition of Dubstep (Seriously, not in a piseed-off way)

nah I was just making it fit the thread

I'm not really interested in taxonomy but you're basically right that it's derived from garage. Empty, shuffled percussion, emphasis on sub content, midrange stuff used sparingly.
Quote by captainsnazz
nah I was just making it fit the thread

Well, it definitely worked. I did laugh for a second before I got pissed . Nice one.

Quote by captainsnazz
I'm not really interested in taxonomy but you're basically right that it's derived from garage. Empty, shuffled percussion, emphasis on sub content, midrange stuff used sparingly.

I think my mistake was referring to 2-Step Garage simply as Step. That's waayyy off. I think that there's no sub-genre called 'Step' anyway . But you never know.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Why I have guitars in different tunings. They never grasp that concept.

When I explain it to them, they then don't understand why I can't just standard tune it and drop it down to Drop B when I need to... they'd have some slinky strings.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
A few I've heard:

"Well, you learned how to do it." (Yeah, took me 11 years to get to this point in my playing, dumbass!)

"I should learn how to play drums/bass/guitar so I can play with you." (GREAT! Please do! But don't show up after 2 weeks of frustration and expect to keep up with me. I've been playing for 11 years. )

"We should jam sometime." (Then, the guy doesn't even bring his guitar and spends the whole time hogging my guitar. So much for jamming...)