Poll: do you see it as a failure?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you see it as a failure?
yes, i would be ashamed to see someone when i stay in a psychiatric hospital
16 26%
no, i'd see it as a necessary evil to recover and pick up my life
45 74%
Voters: 61.
when you have to undergo a psychiatric treatment or have to be treated for an alcohol/drug addiction?

edit: to make things clear, i don't have an opinion about psychiatric patients in general. and i surely don't think it's a fail! those who seek help (forced or not) are indeed strong people. but i want to know how other people think about this question
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Last edited by lt mittens at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by stratkat
Seeking help or getting on the road to recovery isn't a fail.

This.

First step is knowing you have a problem.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
yeah but i'm working in a psychiatric hospital and the problem is that most people don't see they have a problem. they overestimate their own possibilities and feel frustration because they're locked away

and alot of people that are forced to be treated, making it extra hard for them to know there's a problem
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
No, it'd be a failure if I needed to undergo a psychiatric treatment or have to be treated for an alcohol/drug addiction and didn't do anything about it.

Quote by lt mittens
yeah but i'm working in a psychiatric hospital and the problem is that most people don't see they have a problem. they overestimate their own possibilities and feel frustration because they're locked away

and alot of people that are forced to be treated, making it extra hard for them to know there's a problem

So obviously the lesson here is that it's your job to make people who have a problem see that they have a problem.

Nobody said it was ever going to be an easy job, but remember, the hardest jobs are the most rewarding when you do them successfuly.
Quote by stratkat

Obviously seeking help or admitting you have a problem isn't a failure, but I doubt that actually having a problem in the first place would exactly feel like a victory.
indeed slackerbabbath it's our job to guide these people over one of the hardest parts in their life. but that's not the question i was asking

and i agree with the awnsers you guys have given.
not really.. I'm not too keen on going through stuff like that again tho.

Quote by lt mittens

Amen.
(It's kind of weird to be aware of it and yet somehow know that you yourself are probably going to make the same mistake again sometime)
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Isn't water wet?
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Quote by lt mittens
indeed slackerbabbath it's our job to guide these people over one of the hardest parts in their life. but that's not the question i was asking

True, your question was actualy "Would you see it as a failure when you have to undergo a psychiatric treatment or have to be treated for an alcohol/drug addiction?" to which everyone's pretty much agreed upon the answer of 'seeking help isn't a failure'.

To which you replied, "yeah but i'm working in a psychiatric hospital and the problem is that most people don't see they have a problem. they overestimate their own possibilities and feel frustration because they're locked away" hence my point about it being your job to make them see they have a problem, that it's not an easy job but it can be a rewarding job.

See?

Quote by rolandroi
Isn't water wet?

Depends upon how small you are.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 31, 2014,
thats retarded

shut up ts
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
No I think it takes a strong person to want to change and to actually do something about it. A lot people talk about wanting to change and never do anything to change.
The real failure is (not being able to get/not attempting to get) to a position where that stumble is in your past and not constantly a part of your day to day life.

Perfection is not viable nor should it be the ideal. I'd more readily respect the individual who accepts they have a drinking problem and seeks help, compared to another individual who thinks drinking a 6 pack after work on a daily basis is normal.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I'd be ashamed that I fell into that easily avoidable trap to begin with.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's all understood that the commonly accepted notion is that it isn't a failure and "shouldn't" be seen as one. That said, in all honesty, I would personally see it as a failure if it happened to me and no words or rational insight would alleviate that feeling as long as I felt I was going to be dependant on others for psychological support.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Yes. The reason that seeking help for issues like drugs and alcohol are talked about as a positive step is to encourage people to seek help and lessen the stigma that may stop some from getting help they need.

This doesn't change the fact that, if I had to seek treatment, I was a drug addict or alcoholic because I failed to make healthy choices in my life.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Rationally, I want to say no. But honestly, I know I would.

To me, it would mean that I hadn't dealt with some other issue in my life, and sought out an immature reprieve. And along with that, all the risks associated with irresponsible substance abuse. But, that's really a personal viewpoint; I don't think a person should feel like a failure for getting the help they need to overcome obstacles in their life.
Well the alternative would be dying, potentially.

Asking for help does make you feel low, but sometimes it's necessary.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
No, anyone who tells you that getting help with a psychiatric disorder or dealing with an addiction is a "fail"...I don't even...

That kind of mentality is just stupid. If one has a psychiatric disorder or addiction, it's more of a success thing to get help. It would be a failure, if they never got help. The biggest issue with either of those problems is that people who need help don't always come forward and get help.
No, but on the other hand I tend to feel shame, isolate myself and not seek out help and support when dealing with issues myself
no. but if you don't use the opportunity/choice/whatever to help yourself, maybe. after all, shit's expensive. i've been a psychiatric hospital, that was like $1000 per day. my mother was also in rehab for like 4-5 days (alcohol) and it costed about the same.

so considering that, it's important to know that no one can help you if you don't want to help yourself. cheesy, cliché? yes. true? also yes.
Last edited by Dregen at Mar 31, 2014,
Does getting addicted to heroin look bad? Yes. That means you obviously made some shitty choices in your life.

Beer? Not so much. You average person can drink and not become addicted, but you never know if it will have that impact on you when you choose to do it.

Mental issues? No. That stuff really isn't in your control at all, so why be ashamed of it?
No, sometimes people make bad decisions - which is fine if you learn from it - and sometimes shit happens due to bad life luck/randomness. The kind of things that you don't wanna bother your friends or family with - because it's heavy for them and they probably can't relate to it nor help you much. That's when you see a therapist as they're not gonna get affected by the ****ed up stories you're telling and you save your friends the drama.

Drugs make chemical imbalance and can **** your head up really bad to the point you literally go insane - you won't see it coming - and that sort of thing requires treatment because you might start killing people or yourself or chop off your arm because the weatherman on TV told you to. Getting therapy for milder stuff is fine too.
Quote by stratkat

+1

I've had problems with 2/3

I'm a failure, but not because i'm a junkie and a psycho.
As someone who has consciously made an effort to not drink or do drugs because i fear i have an addictive personality and have only managed to get my weight under control for the first time in 20 years i think it would be the biggest failing i could make other than murdering someone.