I'm interested in your experiences with what is the most and the least comfortable guitars to play while seated.

A couple months ago, I bought the gear in my sig line so my son and I could get started learning guitar.

He's a month into his lessons and mine begin next week.

The Squier Strat is his, the EC-330 is mine.

I wanted to get different styles so we could expose him to a variety and let his preferences develop from there.

He is really happy with the Strat.

The T-O-M bridge on the EC is really much more to my liking. I really like this set up and would like to stick with it. The lower action and neck feel really nice on this EC. This feel is what drew me into it....that and it looks really nice, too.

The problem is that the EC's LP body style just is not comfortable for me to play when seated. Part of it is my proclivity towards fine beers and too many steaks but the thing just doesn't work for me. I'd rather it rest on my right leg, but my left arm is reaching across at an unnatural position. The cable jack's location is bad for me, too, if I try to rest it on my left leg. Constantly bumping it....even though I'm using a 90 degree plug. Snap, crackle and pop.

I guess it may help if I give my stats: right handed, 6'5", beer gut (getting gradually smaller through time in the gym ). Types of music I want to play: AC/DC, Rush, Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Label Society, Led Zeppelin, Slash and other classic rock and light metal.

Unfortunately we don't have a single local music store that carries many brands.....but we do have 3 different local shops that carry the brands that I'd be looking at...each shop sort of specializing in what they carry.

I'm thinking of keeping my EC-330 for my son to use and getting something in the $500 range for me......or......upping the budget to $750-$1,000 and selling/trading my EC-330 and getting a nicer guitar for me to settle down with for a while.

I"d always thought that a sweet LP would be my dream guitar one day......until I started playing. Now I'm seeing that this just isn't the most comfortable to me.

I'd like to get a feel for the 2014 Gibson SG models but the local guys don't have them in stock.

Anyway.....sorry for being so long-winded, but I need to get this resolved....hopefully before my lessons begin next week. My son tells me to just practice like he does.....standing.

I'm proud of him for learning in this way, but the reality is that when I get home from work....13-15 hour days most times.....I'm beat and just want to relax and unwind. It'd be fine time to get a few minutes of practice with him....but I want to sit.

Your suggestions are helpful here....as they may point me in the direction of which local shop to go check out first: the shop that carries PRS, the Gibson / Fender shop or the Schecter-Ibanez and others. I want to get a few different ones in my hands today.

I'm interested in what you found were the most & least comfortable....even though I understand it's relative to each individual.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I have a Gibson SG Special and it's a very comfortable guitar to play sitting down, probably the most out of any I've played ctually. LP style guitars feel quite small compared to it sitting whereas the SG just sits perfectly on your leg and is quite high to so you can rest it really well against your body. For that kind of music a SG is perfect. Although I don't have a beer gut :P

Funny thing is when I was looking to get a guitar I was initially quite interested in the LTD EC series also. I went to a shop where I'd played them a couple of times before but when I went back they didn't stock ESP/LTD guitars anymore but they suggested the SG Special and fell in love with it straight away.

Least comfortable sitting down I've tried would have to be a Flying V followed by an Explorer. Flying Vs just don't really work sitting down and I find Explorers to be quite awkward.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 31, 2014,
Most comfortable guitar: Flying V. Holding the guitar in the classical position is something I got used to very quickly and now it feels very intuitive.

Least comfortable: any spiky BC Rich
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I wouldn't be able to stand (no pun intended) playing a Flying V like that the whole time.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Yep, It gets really comfortable to play like that (the v). I think your best bet for sitting is going to be a super strat or strat shape. Although if my memory servers me Explorers aren't too bad sitting down either.

I got used to sitting with the les paul shape (as you can see), it really used to bother me. I started practicing standing more and more so I'd be in good shape at shows, now I almost always play standing and it feels weird to sit..go figure.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I would second the explorer shape. The upper bout is very small, with the guitar on your knee, there's almost nothing there. This comes from a guy who also likes beer and steak a little too much.
If the traditional explorer is too large, they also make smaller versions. Dean makes a Baby-Z that is a few inches shorter over all.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/dean-z-chicago-standard-electric-guitar
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
My prs is probs my least comfortable to sit down with because it slides off my leg a bit but i tend to play stadning up/walking around so its on a strap most of the time.

Strats/super strats ive always found the most comfortable to sit down with. I sit slightly twisted to the right, like legs pointed to the left and body to the right. All my other guitars apart from the PRS sit firmly in my lap.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Thanks for all your replies.

Most of the local shops are open for the day right now....time to grab a shower and go fool around with some axes.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
For me, the only guitars I find comfortable sat down are Les Pauls and Jazzmasters. Telecasters and PRS Customs are 'okay'.

You really won't know what is most comfortable for you until you go to a shop and try some.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
V is a pain in the arse to play sitting down. Sure, its great for soloing, but for playing chords the lower frets are basically touching the ceiling
Sitting with Les Pauls is uncomfortable for me, SGs are the most comfortable.
Least Comfy:

Gibby Style Vs. I play it in the classical position and it still pinches my leg. LPs too, they start making my legs numb after a bit

Most Comfy:

Prolly a stratocaster or an SG.

Quote by 757ian123
V is a pain in the arse to play sitting down. Sure, its great for soloing, but for playing chords the lower frets are basically touching the ceiling

I don't know what kind of V you're playing but none of my Vs have high action like that at all. That sounds like a set up issue, not a V issue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 31, 2014,
That's not what they mean. They are referring to the angle of the guitar and the fact the neck reaches up so far away from you when you have it in that position.

Reason #38482 why I can't stand classical position.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
most comfy - anything under 8.5 lbs.

sorta comfy - 8.5 to 9.5 lbs.

not comfy - everything over 9.5 lbs.

shape means very little to me, i do find that sitting with an SG is impossible. V's are the most comfy to sit with.

that said i stand when i play usually - except acoustic i both sit and stand.
don't like classical position.

as such, vs and RRs are the worst by some margin.

not fussed on LPs either, they're kind of heavy in the wrong place that makes it want to fall off your leg
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One thing worth mentioning is that rock really isn't sitting down music. Most people play better in the long run if they learn to play standing. Of course, back problems etc. may make that infeasible, but given a choice it's generally better to stand.

That said, in terms of comfort SGs and strats are probably the best since they're rounded and (should be) light.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Thanks everyone.

Interesting and insightful posts in here.

Well......I my search is over. I found that there is one local shop that is a full fledged Gibson dealer. It seems that the other shops don't carry Gibson due to the volume of guitars that they would be contractually obligated to order or some such deal.

As luck would have it, though, this shop is really nice. High quality gear and prices seemed on point. Their selection of acoustics was highly impressive. For instance, they carried a number of nice mid priced offerings but then there were a few $6,000 Martins.

I'll be looking at acoustics later on. Much later.

I played around with two 2014 Gibsons....LP Studio and an SG Special. The LP did exactly what my EC-330 does in terms of fit. Not interested in that at this time.

The SG Special felt really good on my knee or standing. Nice and light, too.

The neck really felt good in hand for the entire length. The cutaway allowed a bit more generous access to the 21st fret. I could have sat there all day bending notes and grinning. I loved the feel of that guitar.

I really like the pickups. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Coil tapping feature really does give a wide range of tones.

The only downside was that I wasn't overly smitten with the color on that particular model.

Long story shortened.....I ordered one in the color I wanted.

It's going to be a long, long week or two while I wait for it to arrive.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
A strat is comfortable sitting or standing. I don't like the way a SG feels seated or standing. Standing it has neck dive seated, the body curve is too far back in relation to the neck.

Any large bodied guitar (jazz box, dreadnaught, jumbo...) is uncomfortable to play seated... just too much mass to wrap your arm around. That's why I sold my jazz box and got an OM sized acoustic.
Crap !!!!!!!!!

Just went to the Gibson website to order some gear from their store.......looks like it's closed until April 7th.

I really hope that doesn't mean my SG will be delayed from shipping an additional week.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Les Pauls are horrible to play sitting on your knee.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I generally sit with the guitar resting on my right thigh... i was told by a teacher i did a trial with that i was wrong and should have it on my left leg. So obviously i felt stupid and tried it on that leg only to find out that i might as well be playing it left handed since i have always rested the guitar on my right leg when i play. So yeah. i play it "wrong" when seated... but i don't have any trouble playing while standing.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
OP have you tried adjusting your strap so it's the same length as when you stand, when you sit? I do this with all my guitars and they all feel pretty much the same. My most comfy guitar is my SG followed by my tele. SG just has a great light body that sits well in the nook between my legs (I play classically due to wrist problems). Tele is a bit more weighty but a shorter scale length makes it very manageable sitting.

Good luck
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
OP have you tried adjusting your strap so it's the same length as when you stand, when you sit? I do this with all my guitars and they all feel pretty much the same. My most comfy guitar is my SG followed by my tele. SG just has a great light body that sits well in the nook between my legs (I play classically due to wrist problems). Tele is a bit more weighty but a shorter scale length makes it very manageable sitting.

Good luck

I've played around some with a couple of different straps.

Currently I have a 3.5" Levy's padded leather using Dunlop strap locks.

I really should have given more thought to it before I bought the guitar....but I was actually standing in the shop when I tried it out and bought it. Beginner's error, I suppose. The neck feel and that t-o-m really are something I want to carry forward in future guitars.

I'm really looking forward to the lighter SG and it's contours. I feel like it's a great compromise for me....I'll be able to get the tones I'm wanting as well as the comfort I need for those sessions after a long day at work.

Even if I don't play but just 15 mins.....it's 15 mins of relaxation before grabbing a shower and getting some sleep.

On my days off, the lighter SG will be a bonus, too....as I'm hitting the gym on my mornings off.

Maybe after a year of lessons and a year spent in the gym and eating a better choice of meals will have me ready to give a LP a try.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Mar 31, 2014,
I find my SG very comfortable to play sitting down. It doesn't have the neck-dive issue at all. It seems like only certain ones do that.

Something about playing the SG standing up I'm not crazy about. I think it has to do with the shape or width of the neck. It starts to hurt my hand after a while.
Quote by 757ian123
I find my SG very comfortable to play sitting down. It doesn't have the neck-dive issue at all. It seems like only certain ones do that.
Something about playing the SG standing up I'm not crazy about. I think it has to do with the shape or width of the neck. It starts to hurt my hand after a while.

Cool.

I'm really stoked about gettting my hands on my new SG. I called the shop this afternoon and they said the order went through just fine the other day and they were expecting it sometime next week.

I'm looking forward to getting it set up and playing.

One thing is for certain.....no matter how many other guitars I go on to add to the stable over the years....there will always be a desire for this one.....love the pickups, controls, neck style and amazing light weight ( assuming, of course, that mine is similar to the one I tried in the store).
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020
most comfy - anything under 8.5 lbs.

sorta comfy - 8.5 to 9.5 lbs.

not comfy - everything over 9.5 lbs.

shape means very little to me, i do find that sitting with an SG is impossible. V's are the most comfy to sit with.

that said i stand when i play usually - except acoustic i both sit and stand.

Stop playing it behind your head.