I'm picking up an empty 4x12 cab later today and I'll need some advice on speakers and wiring. If it helps, it's a Hughes & Kettner GL412 cab. Here is a pic of the back panel (it's small but it's the best I could find online):

As you can see it has the ability to run the cab as mono (8 ohms), or stereo (2 x 16 ohms). This is the first time I'm wiring up a cab myself so I want to make sure I buy the right type of speakers and wire it up so the cab works like it should. My amp only has one output (rated at 8-16 ohms), so I can't run it in stereo myself. But if I ever decide to sell it I want the cab in normal working order, if that makes any sense...

So what ohms should I be looking at for each of the speakers? And how should I wire them up so the cab works as 8 ohms mono or 2 x 16 ohms stereo?

Also, my amp head has a max output of 36 watts. Is there a guideline for what the wattage of each speaker should be? Or does it not matter as long as the total wattage of all the speakers together is higher than 36?

Thanks!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Mar 31, 2014,
BUMP... no answers yet?

I just picked up the cab. Looks like it's in great shape! As I mentioned before, the plate on the back is set up to run the cab either 8 ohms mono, or 2x16 ohms stereo.

Still trying to figure out how to wire it up and what the ohm / wattage rating of each speaker should be...

Thanks!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2