It was this one, except it was a hard tail. No Floyd, which is a good thing for me.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/blackjack-sls/blackjack-sls-solo-6-fr-p-hell-s-gate-detail

I was not really a Schecter fan, but I have always heard that then can be some respectable instruments. I am in the process of looking for a new guitar, and the one I played fit my list of needs. Saw it in a local shop and spent about 30 minutes with it and a Marshall stack, and I was really impressed.

Lightweight and very comfortable for me to play. The best thing is that the it was well balanced. In my past experience a light guitar can be very neck-heavy and take a dive on you. This Schecter was not like that at all.

Has what seems like a weird set of SD pups, but they actually work well. Full Shred in the bridge, Jazz in the neck. However, they do blend well together. This axe is amazingly versatile. Sounds very rich and full, can hammer down really well, but get some smooth tones as well.

Fretboard is ebony. Not too flat. Really fast and smooth. I loved the fretboard, but I am an ebony fan-boy.

Only issue is I think the neck is too small for me. I believe I am better off with a chunky neck. That said, I am still considering buying it. Hard to believe it was only $799. If it wasn't for the neck I would have bought it on the spot.

Anyway, I now have a lot more respect for Schecter than what I once did. This seemed to me to be a really good quality guitar that is a deal for the price. I really like LTD EC-1000's with the SD pups (even with the skinny neck). They also had it in the shop as well and I was able to A / B them. I think this Schecter is better than the EC-1000, at least for me. Like I said, I am a fan of ebony fret boards, so that made a big difference to me.

This is making my guitar shopping hard. I want a higher end used Les Paul and a high gain amp. But I think I am going to have a hard time justifying the purchase of one considering how much I liked the Schecter. Only issue is that damn skinny neck....

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience with it.

Edit: Looks like website says a 59 in the neck. Could have sworn it was a Jazz... oh well it still rocked out and had a great full and smooth sound.
Ibanez SR1200E
Last edited by pachap at Mar 31, 2014,
I bought a Schecter a couple of weeks ago, same boat as you. Couldn't believe how good it feels.

Got it for £400 as it was on a clearance. Really surprised it hadn't gone!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Standard Schecter necks are a fatter profile similar to a 70s Les Paul. Only the SLS models have the skinny neck. Spend some time sifting around through used stuff and you’ll find a ton of options—Schecter overhauls the Blackjack lineup annually.
As far as the neck, here's the question you need to ask:

"Will it impede your playing?"

Personally, I don't know that a thinner neck would cause any issues if you're used to a thicker neck. If you feel like you can still play all the things you want to play, there shouldn't be an issue. You'll just have to get over that short adjustment time.
Had a Schecter for about 15 minutes, wasn't a fan (Hell Raiser). If you're looking for a versatile instrument, you had it right when you said Les Paul. I've had a Studio for a long time and it's a beast both in terms of sound and endurance, as well as a Custom for about 8 years; ironically the Custom isn't as versatile as the studio. But, because you're not looking for anything with a Floyd, you truley can't go wrong with a good Les Paul (and you will have to look hard for a "good" one) and a solid state Marshall like JCM 2000 DSL 50 Watt.
I've been very surprised by the run of Korean Schecters the last couple of years. Really solid guitars. I've found myself recommending them over PRS SE series in a lot of cases. Happy new guitar day!

The other guitarist in my band has a Schecter Stargazer that's pretty darn cool, and feels pretty good. I've been eyeing up a PT Fastback for quite a while, but haven't been able to get my hands on one. I really dig the G&L Tribute ASAT HB, but I want a thinner, faster maple neck on it. The PT Fastback sounds like just the one.

EDIT: Holy cool, batman. A real B50, not a licensed one.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/pt-fastback-ii-b-detail
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by weaseldog43
Had a Schecter for about 15 minutes, wasn't a fan (Hell Raiser). If you're looking for a versatile instrument, you had it right when you said Les Paul. I've had a Studio for a long time and it's a beast both in terms of sound and endurance, as well as a Custom for about 8 years; ironically the Custom isn't as versatile as the studio. But, because you're not looking for anything with a Floyd, you truley can't go wrong with a good Les Paul (and you will have to look hard for a "good" one) and a solid state Marshall like JCM 2000 DSL 50 Watt.

Wat?

On topic: Yeah I've really found Schecter's to be very consistent, but like anything it takes time to get one you really like (I went through four V's and two of the other models before I found the one I liked)
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Schecter is now the only brand of guitars I will buy. To me they feel the best and sound incredibly good for the price. The look bad ass too, so there's that
Quote by weaseldog43

You played a Schecter for all of 15 minutes, and you're already an authority on whether LP are more versatile than Schecters?
My experience with Schecter is as follows:

I bought a 7 string omen exteme for around £350 for a kind of low to mid range 7 string, tone wasn't bad and it played quite nicely...

However the pickups were 'microphonic' ie I could plug the guitar into an amp and shout through the p'ups and it would come through the amp. Also, the guitar was not earthed properly at all and as a result of both of these things there would be a long and shrill ring after I stopped playing through the amp, and I use two noise gates with my setup.

I tested my other guitars on the same settings and there was no problem so I narrowed out my equipment as the issue before anyone asks that.

So I took it to two guitar shops who were both shocked by the awful quality, they told me to send it back and so I did, TWICE.
Schecter UK couldn't even sort out the problems it was that bad and as a result I will never buy another Schecter guitar in my lifetime. Fortunately I got a full refund for it and then saved a little more and bought a PRS SE custom 24.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As far as the neck, here's the question you need to ask:

"Will it impede your playing?"

Personally, I don't know that a thinner neck would cause any issues if you're used to a thicker neck. If you feel like you can still play all the things you want to play, there shouldn't be an issue. You'll just have to get over that short adjustment time.

Yes, it will impede my playing.

Had a bout of rhabdo last fall that I am still not over, and have also recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am very sore in my lower back, legs, and arms all the time. Had to sell my motorcycle because I can't really ride it comfortably anymore and get a different position at my work place. Thicker necks are helping me out because I feel like I can hang on to the neck more.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by JustRooster
I've been very surprised by the run of Korean Schecters the last couple of years. Really solid guitars. I've found myself recommending them over PRS SE series in a lot of cases. Happy new guitar day!

There's a £125 price difference between Schecters and PRS SE's, in Europe at least. To me there is no question about it, the Schecter Hellraiser/Blackjack-lines are superior.

I own both a Blackjack ATX V-1 and a PRS SE Custom 24.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
No, not literally 15 minutes. I had it for a month. It felt and sounded thin. Can't say whether it would have endured the abuse of a lot of playing. I wanted something with a Floyd and I wasn't happy with the Schecter. The body had binding, but the neck didn't which added to the flimsy feel. I ended up getting an ESP Horizon II, which I really like.
Soooo, no I'm not an expert on Les Pauls or anything else for that matter. But when you're used to weighty instrument with some neck substance, I didn't find the Schecter sufficient. And, the sound was unacceptable when compared to the Les Pauls.
Quote by jpnyc
Standard Schecter necks are a fatter profile similar to a 70s Les Paul. Only the SLS models have the skinny neck.
I don't know where the hell you got this idea from.
Schecter's standard neck is thinner than the current standard Fender neck. It's nowhere close to some of the necks of Les Pauls in the past. The SLS models have an extremely thin neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by pachap
Yes, it will impede my playing.

Had a bout of rhabdo last fall that I am still not over, and have also recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am very sore in my lower back, legs, and arms all the time. Had to sell my motorcycle because I can't really ride it comfortably anymore and get a different position at my work place. Thicker necks are helping me out because I feel like I can hang on to the neck more.

Well, that sucks.

But now you know, get a guitar with a thicker neck.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, that sucks.

But now you know, get a guitar with a thicker neck.

Yeah I would never have thought a thick neck like a 50's or 60's profile Gibson would be for me. But necessity can be a bitch. That said, I think I can adapt quickly. Also, being forced into giving up some other things I enjoy because of medical condition is really making me focus on guitar playing. In that sense, it isn't really a bad thing.
Ibanez SR1200E
And just to re-iterate this.... If you are on the fence about a Schecter purchase, I think the one I linked was amazing. If you are considering purchasing the EC 1000 with the SD JB and 59 set, give this Schecter a shot as well. It is a very good guitar. Too bad the neck is too small for me.
Ibanez SR1200E
The SLS necks are thinner than the rest of the Schecter lineup. Look into a Hellraiser, or the other Blackjacks. Pretty much everything else they make uses the same basic neck.
I've never liked any Schecter I've played however I only played them a few times around 2007 (I think).

They felt super bulky and the neck profile felt awkward.

If what you guys are saying is true I may need to have another look at Schecter... ON the market for a 7.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I've never seriously considered many Schecters - I'm too much of a Jackson fan boy really. But I would absolutely love a Loomis.