Hi everyone,

This may sound amateurish, and well, that's because it is.

I've been playing guitar for a bit now but I am a complete noob when it comes to what I class as 'Studio Knowledge'. I'm going to make this short, I'll give you my scenario, what I understand (Or rather how little I understand) and then leave you guys to help a poor uninformed soul out.

I am a bedroom guitar player. Play guitar into Dist pedal - Wah - into Blackstar HT-20. Emulated out into line in on computer. Use Cubase to record. Sound comes out through mediocre desktop speakers. Believe it or not, I get a pretty good tone but it lacks, obviously, VOLUME!

Okay, so I can turn it up to a relatively pleasing level but obviously if it's on clean, it'll distort eventually and when it's on distortion, it just turns into complete noise!

What sort of thing will help me achieve clarity with distortion, but also volume? I'm not looking for the volume of a wall of 4x12 cabs with 100 watt heads!!! Just something more reasonable.

Would studio speakers help?

Would an audio interface help at all?

If I were to get a speaker cab for my amp, as well as a suitable mic and audio interface to record the sound of the cab, would I still have the same problem with volume from desktop speakers?

Also, is there anyway to get reasonable volume and tone/clarity/sound when using earphones? / Headphones if needs be.

I really am a complete noob when it comes to understanding speakers and all I want to do, is to be able to play my guitar through Cubase, and not have to sacrifice volume entirely, while also using headphones if I so wish.

So what exactly am I looking at here? What gear/equipment do I need/what will help? Bear in mind I'm on a tight as budget as possible, but also willing to wait and buy the bits as I go along if the cheaper stuff is just no good at all.

Thanks in advance!
Does this problem happen with headphones plugged into the computer?

Could it be the computer speakers?
are you referring to the recorded sound isnt very loud?

if so, the reasons professional recordings are so loud is because they are heavily compressed at the mixing stage, and then heavily hard limited at the mastering stage. you should be able to add these in Cubase pretty easily.

also if you run the emulated line out into a nice sounding preamp then into a USB or Firewire inerface, and then into your computer, you will have more volume, it will remain clarity, and will actually just sound alot better over all.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
are you referring to the recorded sound isnt very loud?

I suppose I was referring to both recorded and 'live' sound.
well even for the live sound, using a USB or Firewire interface will improve volume, clarity, and fidelity.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by FrooFender
Okay, so I can turn it up to a relatively pleasing level but obviously if it's on clean, it'll distort eventually and when it's on distortion, it just turns into complete noise!
What volume are you turning on here?

And, next time you have an issue like this you're better off posting in the recording forum.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.