Hello all. Long-time reader, first time poster! I just got a new (to me) Traynor YBA-1. Serial number indicates that it's a late 60's amp, the number says probably '69, seller said '68, either way, "late '60s". Sounded incredible upon my first play through. I jammed for two hours with no problem besides maybe a bit of hissing at times. Then, it suddenly stopped. There was a quiet, but present sound in the cab and the cab was checked with other heads and was fine. The power tubes looked fine and lit up nicely, but I'm an idiot and didn't know the preamp tube covers came off so easily so I never checked them. The fuse on the back was not blown. Now, the last owner said he put new power tubes in a year ago and seldom played it in the meantime. Knowing what we know, is it most likely that I need to replace the preamp tubes? Should I just do it anyway knowing that the preamp tubes haven't been changed in years? I've been playing for almost 10 years but never until lately wanted to learn about amps haha.
Some music stores have a tube tester. Shop around and get your bottles checked first. Replace only the bad ones as preamp tubes often last a long time. Make certain your cords and input jacks are ok.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The YBA-1 is the 45watt version, right?

If you're comfortable doing so, pull the chassis out from the head cab, and take a look to see if any of the caps have blown, or are leaking.

I almost bought a YBA-1A head about a year ago, but the only ones I could find locally hadn't been recapped, and the guys wanted top dollar. Great amps tho, and I plan to own one someday!

The studio I'm recording in has one that I can use, so maybe it'll make an appearance on my bands new EP
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by red.guitar
The YBA-1 is the 45watt version, right?

If you're comfortable doing so, pull the chassis out from the head cab, and take a look to see if any of the caps have blown, or are leaking.

I almost bought a YBA-1A head about a year ago, but the only ones I could find locally hadn't been recapped, and the guys wanted top dollar. Great amps tho, and I plan to own one someday!

The studio I'm recording in has one that I can use, so maybe it'll make an appearance on my bands new EP

Yeah, it's a 45 Watt head. Sounded amazing until it died about two hours in haha. The caps, is this a costly fix?
Last edited by LakeTahoeSC at Mar 31, 2014,
A simple re-cap is pretty inexpensive or even DIY if you are handy with a soldering iron. If they blow they will often take out other pieces of your circuit so you may need a seasoned tech.

Remember: Power capacitors hold their charge with the amp unplugged and will kill you quick if you touch the wrong thing inside the chassis. Proceed with gloves and caution.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
A simple re-cap is pretty inexpensive or even DIY if you are handy with a soldering iron. If they blow they will often take out other pieces of your circuit so you may need a seasoned tech.

Remember: Power capacitors hold their charge with the amp unplugged and will kill you quick if you touch the wrong thing inside the chassis. Proceed with gloves and caution.

I'm going to swap the preamp tubes first I think. The ones in it are ancient. If that fails it is officially beyond my capacity and I will take it to someone else who knows how to not lose their hands.
Yeah you should be able to get a recap done for somewhere around $120.

If you're not confident in doing it yourself, then leave it to a tech.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
So, I played with and tested the preamp tubes, they were fine. After trying to get it working the fuses blew, everything went dead, and now I'm terrified. Taking it to a tech. I'm just hoping it isn't a transformer, I loved the sound of it. Anyone have any other ideas? I see this recap idea. The scary thing is I discovered a loose wire on my speaker cabinet, so instead of the recommended 4 or 8 ohms for this head it may have been getting 16 ohm from a cab I believed to be 8 ohm. Prior to this amp I used a solid state one so such a thing would maybe go unnoticed in terms of the amp you know, dying. This sucks.
By your username, I assume you are in the Tahoe area?
If so, I would recommend going to Big E's Motor City Music in Sparks.
They guy that runs it really knows his shit.
Quote by CodeMonk
By your username, I assume you are in the Tahoe area?
If so, I would recommend going to Big E's Motor City Music in Sparks.
They guy that runs it really knows his shit.

I am actually from Montreal, Quebec haha
I wouldn't worry too much about accidentally running it into a 16ohm load. Those things were built like tanks. The transformers are huge. They can take it no problem.

Let us know how it goes with the tech!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I wouldn't worry too much about accidentally running it into a 16ohm load. Those things were built like tanks. The transformers are huge. They can take it no problem.

Let us know how it goes with the tech!

Thanks! Hopefully this thing still works. It sounded incredible. Also, my first real tube amp. It would be a shame if this got me off them forever haha. I also feel the same way, I had one guy at my music store say it could be the transformer but everybody else has been pretty adamant that it is unlikely. Either way, going to fix that issue with my cab and get this thing looked at.