Page 1 of 2

The show how I met your mother came to a conclusion tonight after nine seasons. And while the last few seasons have been weak tonight's finale was a strong finish with a surprising twist.

Interesting fact, while Ted Mosby is portrayed as this hopeless romantic character, it was posted on their site today that he slept with 39 women over the course of the show. This however does not compare to the amount the promiscuous Barney has, who had a list of over 200 women he had slept with, and that was about half way through the series
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Mar 31, 2014,
show dragged on for too long tbh

Quote by soundgarden1986
why would you watch how i met your mother when you can just watch king of the hill

caus im not a redneck
Quote by Night
Quote by Wiegenlied
The show how I met your mother came to a conclusion tonight after nine seasons. And while the last few seasons have been weak tonight's finale was a strong finish with a surprising twist.

Spoil it for me please. I don't even watch it, but I'm curious.
I honestly thought the show stayed a complete 5/5 until the ending. It would have been my favorite show of all time, but I needed this show to have a happy ending for everyone. This isn't a drama. This is a sitcom that happens to be more emotional than most, with an ongoing plot. This is one show that I needed to end with everything turning out okay for everyone.

This would have been my favorite show of all time if not for the very ending. Breaking Bad is now the only show I've ever watched without a bad episode, and thus has no competition.

Also, Ted met the mother a season ago.
I haven't liked this last season at all (with a few exceptions, mostly the episodes with the Mother), but I thought the ending was really good. The execution was pretty disjointed and rushed, but the concept was perfect and was really the only way to end the show decently. I loved how they took things full circle with the blue French horn.

But then again, I thought the big "twist" was pretty much a foregone conclusion ever since this scene in season 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YTGtK5ExPY
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Mar 31, 2014,
I spent 4 or 5 seasons disappointed that we knew for sure that Robin wasn't the mother and eventually through character development I no longer wanted that for the rest of the show. I especially didn't want them to throw away all of Barney and Robin's development (specifically Barney, since to be fair, Robin didn't bring up in recent seasons that maybe she should have ended up with Ted.) from the last couple seasons. Like... really, you're going to make a whole season be about this wedding and then show us the divorce at the end of it? And then to try to convince us that you didn't throw away all of Barney's development into a better person you just give him a kid at the last moment?
What was the twist? I gave up on that show years ago, I'm just curious. Put it in spoilers.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by seventh_angel

mother dies, thats why he is telling the story

well not actually, she dies and he is telling the story because he wants his kids to give him permission to **** robin

im not even shitting you
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
i am not shitting you

incredibly pathetic writing
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Is there really a point in spoiler tags in this thread? You don't open a thread about a series finale and expect it to not be full of spoilers.
lol really

so he just sat there for like 40 hours and told his kids about all of the girls he ****ed in honor of their mother's death? yeah ok

so HIMYM pulled a "Lost"? Good call.

Quote by Macabre_Turtle

This would have been my favorite show of all time if not for the very ending. Breaking Bad is now the only show I've ever watched without a bad episode, and thus has no competition.

Did you really just suggest this show was one episode away from reaching BrBa caliber?
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Like... really, you're going to make a whole season be about this wedding and then show us the divorce at the end of it? And then to try to convince us that you didn't throw away all of Barney's development into a better person you just give him a kid at the last moment?

Yeah, I really disliked the format of this season and that might be why I liked the ending. I hated Robin and Barney as a couple, the scene with Barney taking credit for finding the locket cemented that for me. As far as I'm concerned, Barney got the perfect resolution to his character arc by having a daughter and finally finding the one woman he could love unconditionally. Making him into the perfect husband would have been pretty ridiculous.

And just to make it clear, I thought the pacing was terrible. There was so much rushed content in this episode that should have replaced the drawn-out wedding filler.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by AeroRocker
lol really

so he just sat there for like 40 hours and told his kids about all of the girls he ****ed in honor of their mother's death? yeah ok

so HIMYM pulled a "Lost"? Good call.

Did you really just suggest this show was one episode away from reaching BrBa caliber?

I considered pretty much every episode of the show to be perfect. Frankly, it's news to me that people haven't liked the last few seasons. So, from my perspective, if it had managed to end well, it would have been a show with a flawless streak of 208 episodes. I know that's just my perspective, but I think it would have been quite the accomplishment.

Yeah, it can't really do things as awesome as Breaking Bad on the grounds of it being a totally different type of show (sitcom vs drama), and I would never dare compare the two shows on any serious level. I'm just saying Breaking Bad is the only show I've seen with nothing but perfect episodes, and How I Met Your Mother almost accomplished that for me.
Quote by voncameron
So I'm rewatching Frasier. Man, good stuff.

Frasier = good show.

That other one is not . Thank god that stupid vehicle for dumb catch phrases is over.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by iro-bot31
Yeah, I really disliked the format of this season and that might be why I liked the ending. I hated Robin and Barney as a couple, the scene with Barney taking credit for finding the locket cemented that for me. As far as I'm concerned, Barney got the perfect resolution to his character arc by having a daughter and finally finding the one woman he could love unconditionally. Making him into the perfect husband would have been pretty ridiculous.

Barney vowing to be completely honest and then admitting without being pushed in any way to do so that he didn't find it had sold me that they were going to go on as a great happy couple. Throwing that away to put her back with Ted just doesn't rub me right.
I'm crying right now and I've only seen maybe 5 episodes of this show.

Damn
Quote by seventh_angel

TunerAddict's description is really bleak and angry lol but yeah

basically out of the 9 seasons, Ted doesn't mention the mother til a few episodes in the last season. as the story unfolds in the last episode he mentions how the mother got sick. When he finishes the kids say point out how little of the story actually focused on the mother and was more about Robin. They say its been 6 years since the mother passed away and that he should call her, whom he hasn't spoken to in years. In the last season she married his friend Barney, but even asked him to run away from the wedding with her but he turned her down, and told everyone he was moving to Chicago to forget about her. In the last episode they got divorced three years into it, after robin's job required travelling all over the world and the two seemed incompatible, which would be decades before the final scene takes place. Ted meets the actual mother of the kids at Robin and Barney's wedding, she was in the band.

I enjoyed the ending, because it provides what it promises, ted meets the mother but at the end of the story he ends up with the chick he wanted all along.
Quote by Night
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Apr 1, 2014,
Yeah, but when does he turn into Bob Saget?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Ok I just watched the ending and I guess it was alright

Quote by AeroRocker
lol really

Apparently it had been six years since their mother's death. The episode ended with the kids telling Ted that the mother had never been the focal point of the story and that it really been about Robin all along. Not the best ending but could've been far worse
Also the mother kinda reminded me of a younger Regina Spektor somewhat
Meh, it's kinda lazy because I've seen scattered episodes of the series and it's so clear in the first couple of seasons that they were doing it do put Ted and Robin together. However, since HIMYM because a star show, they had to drag it until it became what it was so far. Bringing him back to Robin seems like one of those things where they were like "yeah, we don't even know how to end this thing by now so let's try and go back to plan #1"

Even with your explanation it sounds really off.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I considered pretty much every episode of the show to be perfect. Frankly, it's news to me that people haven't liked the last few seasons. So, from my perspective, if it had managed to end well, it would have been a show with a flawless streak of 208 episodes. I know that's just my perspective, but I think it would have been quite the accomplishment.

Yeah, it can't really do things as awesome as Breaking Bad on the grounds of it being a totally different type of show (sitcom vs drama), and I would never dare compare the two shows on any serious level. I'm just saying Breaking Bad is the only show I've seen with nothing but perfect episodes, and How I Met Your Mother almost accomplished that for me.

I love the show personally. My girlfriend got me into it and its a perfect show to watch together, a great mix of humour, life lessons and romance. Barney and Ted's characters in particular are great, and season 1-4 were my favourites.

I started watching all the episodes from the beginning recently (I hadn't seen a lot of them) and I had to stop when it got about half way threw season 7 I think. With Marshall's dad dying, and then that episode where Barney and Robin **** while he's dating Nora and she's dating Kumar (forget his name is the show). and they agree to break up with them and be together, and Barney does but she doesn't and they meet up at the bar and Robin's got Kumar with him and just shakes her head no to Barney. I was like

Too much without enough comedic relief
Quote by Night
Quote by seventh_angel
Meh, it's kinda lazy because I've seen scattered episodes of the series and it's so clear in the first couple of seasons that they were doing it do put Ted and Robin together. However, since HIMYM because a star show, they had to drag it until it became what it was so far. Bringing him back to Robin seems like one of those things where they were like "yeah, we don't even know how to end this thing by now so let's try and go back to plan #1"

Even with your explanation it sounds really off.

It was the plan all all along, the scenes used in tonight episode were filmed in beginning of the series because the kids would have aged (big difference from aging 15-24 over 9 years, then the main characters aging 25-34).

Its hard to explain 9 seasons in a paragraph but thats what it is. It was obvious with Robin from those episodes probably yeah, but he also dated 6 other chicks long term, and was even getting married to a chick Stella who left before the wedding. So we've been close to believing it was someone else before too. And with Robin getting married to Barney with one episode to go I don't think anyone actually thought this would happen at this point.

And like I said he does actually marry the mother, its just well after hand in the current day that he's telling the story that he ends up meeting up with Robin again
Quote by Night
Quote by Wiegenlied
I love the show personally. My girlfriend got me into it and its a perfect show to watch together, a great mix of humour, life lessons and romance. Barney and Ted's characters in particular are great, and season 1-4 were my favourites.

I started watching all the episodes from the beginning recently (I hadn't seen a lot of them) and I had to stop when it got about half way threw season 7 I think. With Marshall's dad dying, and then that episode where Barney and Robin **** while he's dating Nora and she's dating Kumar (forget his name is the show). and they agree to break up with them and be together, and Barney does but she doesn't and they meet up at the bar and Robin's got Kumar with him and just shakes her head no to Barney. I was like

Too much without enough comedic relief

It is incredibly emotionally heavy for a sitcom and absolutely loaded with great character moments, and the sense of humor of these characters is identical to the sense of humor of all of my friends and I. I can't specifically say that this character reminds me of this friend, and of course our antics in real life never get as extreme as they can on the show, but the whole vibe of their collective friendship just feels so much like my friends in real life. I feel like I could easily be bros with any of these characters.
Quote by Wiegenlied
It was the plan all all along, the scenes used in tonight episode were filmed in beginning of the series because the kids would have aged (big difference from aging 15-24 over 9 years, then the main characters aging 25-34).

Its hard to explain 9 seasons in a paragraph but thats what it is. It was obvious with Robin from those episodes probably yeah, but he also dated 6 other chicks long term, and was even getting married to a chick Stella who left before the wedding. So we've been close to believing it was someone else before too. And with Robin getting married to Barney with one episode to go I don't think anyone actually thought this would happen at this point.

And like I said he does actually marry the mother, its just well after hand in the current day that he's telling the story that he ends up meeting up with Robin again

Yeah but that's the thing.

They were going for Plan A.

Success made them scratch A due to bigger show.

Show dragged.

Show needed an ending.

No satisfying ending found.

Back to Plan A.

That's honestly what that sounds to me. They needed to shoot an ending for Plan A in case the show had to end / got cancelled / wasn't renewed. It doesn't sound like it was the plan all along. It sounds like they used the backup.
Quote by seventh_angel
Yeah but that's the thing.

They were going for Plan A.

Success made them scratch A due to bigger show.

Show dragged.

Show needed an ending.

No satisfying ending found.

Back to Plan A.

That's honestly what that sounds to me. They needed to shoot an ending for Plan A in case the show had to end / got cancelled / wasn't renewed. It doesn't sound like it was the plan all along. It sounds like they used the backup.

Think it's the opposite - they had a satisfying ending just sitting there but instead stuck to a plan that maybe made sense a decade ago. IDK.

Maybe Ted-Robin could have been made to work, but not about 90minutes of TV-time after the series made a big deal out of him letting go of her. Like, I was a fan of the weird pacing this season, and thought it was a really cool way to go out, but that was because I thought they were going to give it a nice, simple, happy ending. To spend 7 hours going through all these carefully constructed character arcs, leaving literally everyone in a good position to live happily ever after, then reverse most of that development within half an hour? Baffling.

Like, seriously, after such a slowly-paced season, they went from "the mother is dead" to "blue horn" in a few minutes?

Super disappointing.
It was one of those shows that if I flipped through my basic tv channel listings, and happened to stumble upon it, i'd watch it, but only if there was nothing else to watch.

Sure it was funny, but the show always gave me weird vibes.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by gabcd86
Think it's the opposite - they had a satisfying ending just sitting there but instead stuck to a plan that maybe made sense a decade ago. IDK.

Maybe Ted-Robin could have been made to work, but not about 90minutes of TV-time after the series made a big deal out of him letting go of her. Like, I was a fan of the weird pacing this season, and thought it was a really cool way to go out, but that was because I thought they were going to give it a nice, simple, happy ending. To spend 7 hours going through all these carefully constructed character arcs, leaving literally everyone in a good position to live happily ever after, then reverse most of that development within half an hour? Baffling.

Like, seriously, after such a slowly-paced season, they went from "the mother is dead" to "blue horn" in a few minutes?

Super disappointing.

This. I couldn't have put it any better.
the writing was never spectacular

i mean, i knew every punchline in this episode before it hit
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

i thought the show was pretty shit after the first few season, tbh

recycled jokes
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Yeah, only the first few seasons were any good. I stopped watching after that (and even then I was never that into it.)

My parents still continued to watch it so I still caught bits and pieces every now and then, and I saw the last thirty minutes of tonight's episode.

I agree that it was rushed and poorly written. I found Barney's reversed development to be especially disappointing (and not believable). The episode was really just kind of depressing.
Page 1 of 2