Hey Everyone,
in advance, I apologize for any typing mistakes, my phone sucks and auto correct just makes things worse.
I've narrowed my amp search down to three mesa models. I've had bad experiences buying things used, but as a college student i cannot afford to buy a new amp with the exception of the one below. I dont know anything about the reliability of used mesa amps, all three of the below listed amps are at an authorized mesa retailer. Would I be better off buying one of these, or one of the same models at GC for the peace of mind of a 30 day return policy and probably an extended warranty which i would pay extra for? the authorized mesa dealer only has a 7day return policy.

Mesa roadster:used, roughly 1400 with tax
mesa stiletto deuce: used,1100 with tax
mesa single rec 50w: brand new, comes with 5 year manufacturer warranty, same price as used roadster

I love the roadster for it's versatility, but all three sounded really great. I play pop punk mostly but i like to play heavier stuff and clean stuff alot too. Having 4 different sounds at only a footswitch click away wouldbe ideal. Iprefer the single rec for the warranty but I just cant decide.
I'd like to hear any thoughts any of you may have.
thank you in advance!
i am very pleased with my Trem-o-Verb. very versatile. IMO that or roadster. the tremoverb has a blues setting which is nice, its a dual rec, but it sounds IMO better than a dual rec. i am sure somebody could list specs but i cant.

i have it set up for a chunky low thud on the top channel and more top end on the second channel for lead.

i think i paid $750. has brand new tubes. with like a receipt with them dating the purchase of the tubes like two days prior. all JJ even.

mesas are pretty much bulletproof. i wouldn't be overly concerned used.

i played a roadster and liked it. just gotta play what you can play all you can.

good luck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Out of those, definitely the Roadster, unless you're looking for a more hotrodded Marshall sound (Stiletto). The Roadster is one of the few super versatile amps that actually excels in many areas, rather than being just okay at all ranges.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If the roadster checks out in person I'd go for that.

I thought the last single rec I played was pretty blah...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Alright so i'll aim for the roadster probably. Is there anything I should look/listen for that'll tell me if it has any sort of issues? I'm scared i'll have it past the 7 days and then some thing major will happen to it. Is there any sort of thing that goes horribly wrong with roadsters ever or is it normal tube related things? I sorry if I seem paranoid but I won't be able to get another amp if something goes wrong with this one, I need it to last for quite a while
I love the Roadster, one of my favorite amps out there. The other two are fantastic as well, but sounds like a Roadster is what you need.

The only thing really with tube amps is tubes sometimes die. There's not really a set life on them. If it's overly noisy you probably have a microphonic tube. Not a hard or expensive thing to replace, but it could happen.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by Ippon
+311 I'd try to ask a bit off for that Roadster, though.

Yeah good point. IIRC they go for 1200 on the market. The gen II's go for more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Love my roadster. One on GC now for 1100 I believe. As said, I can do anything I want with it. I mean four channels with 3 modes on each, 50/100w switch on each channel, bold or spongy option, tube or diode tracking option on each channel, footswitchable tube reverb on each channel with different levels for each channel plus solo boost. Can't even describe the versatility. So my absolutely biased opinion is roadster. Would say go to a Lowes or Home depot and buy one of those 20 dollar collapsible dolleys makes it much easier to move around my combo or the halfstack if you go that way.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
and if you order from GC used you get a 30 day warranty and I purchased the extra year just because.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Want a quality Mesa on a student budget? No need to spend $1100. Find a good used 50Cal, Studio 22, F-30, F-50 for less than $600 and pay $100 for an amp tech to go through it. Then you still have money left for that used USA Strat you have been jonesing over.

An unmolested Mesa is built like a Sherman Tank. Just avoid the tinkerers who modded the amp thinking they will make it better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 1, 2014,
Though the mesa f series is pretty good, the roadster just destroys it IMO. The versatility it offers is hard to pass up as well.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Though the mesa f series is pretty good, the roadster just destroys it IMO.

Well I certainly hope so since it sells for the price of a good used car.

Seriously though, I didn't realize people bought guitar amps to destroy stuff. I thought they bought amps to play music in rock bands. Most of us tend to buy too much amp cause we never ever want to get drowned out by that other guy across the stage. As a result we tend to spend too much. Amps are just tools for making music. Get the right tool for the job. Don't bring a 10lb sledge when a carpenters hammer will do.

After playing maybe 1000 gigs all over the southwestern US, I can honestly say I never once needed the sheer face-melting volume on tap with my 64 Fender Super Reverb. 40watts/4x10. I bought that amp used in 1970 and played in some very loud rock bands for a very long time. These days the big boy stays home and the Mesa F-30 is exactly the right tool for the job while I still have some hearing left. It will run with any drummer and then some. If they mic the kit, they mic the amp.

Face-melting destruction is fun but highly overrated if you are a starving student eating cup-o-noodles for dinner some nights. There are better ways to spend your $$ IMO. As always, this is just one guitarists opinion and others will surely disagree. Most will ignore this advice and continue to buy too much amp because that is simply what boys do.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Some of us would rather have a full toolbox than just a screwdriver. Though I'm sure your screwdriver does its job.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Cajundaddy
Well I certainly hope so since it sells for the price of a good used car.

I've yet to see a good used car for that amount of money, but to each their own
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by bluestratplayer
Some of us would rather have a full toolbox than just a screwdriver. Though I'm sure your screwdriver does its job.

This. The F-30 is a great amp, but the Roadster does more sounds better. It's not a question of face melting volume, but of versatility. For heavy stuff, it's no contest. Everything else is very much on par, maybe just a tad better on the Roadster. Thats just IMHO of course
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by bluestratplayer

+1

I rather like my 100 watt Marshall into an over sized 4x12, sow me a 1x12 combo that can sound like that and I'm in. I do practice with a 20 watt Krank 1980 into a 2x12 and that is fine, but I like to put on a show and nice props can help out a lot.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
:I like to put on a show and nice props can help out a lot.

This is what boys do. If you need props to fill out your schtick, I get it. Might as well go all the way. It's still a free country so buy the hype if you must.

Seriously, can anything sound as amazing as a pegged Marshall full stack? Ya, The Zep I album. That was a 12 watt no-name Valco amp that Page used. Great guitar tone is mostly in the fingers.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
This is what boys do. If you need props to fill out your schtick, might as well go all the way. It's still a free country so buy the hype if you must.

Seriously, can anything sound as amazing as a pegged Marshall full stack? Ya, The Zep I album. That was a 12 watt no-name Valco amp that Page used. Great guitar tone is mostly in the fingers.

Tone is not in the fingers. Technique is. And the roadster isn't a prop, just makes the f30 look like a toy. No hype here, it really is that good. Not sure what you're trying to get at in your posts. You think everyone one with a half stack is a boy wasting money and the lower tier mesa's are the only thing anyone could ever need?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Tone is not in the fingers. Technique is. And the roadster isn't a prop, just makes the f30 look like a toy. No hype here, it really is that good. Not sure what you're trying to get at in your posts. You think everyone one with a half stack is a boy wasting money and the lower tier mesa's are the only thing anyone could ever need?

this.

Plus people who claim that tone's in the fingers are usually terrible guitar players anyway.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
We are all tone chasers to some degree. The goal is to get those tones in our head to come out of the amp on demand. If only we had just the right gear... If only it were that simple.

We do indeed live in a gear-centric world. It is what it is and I suppose it is good for the economy at least. No reason to turn this into a F-30 vs Roadster knockdown thread jack. Both amps do what they do well. I'm not going to pretend that any amp is the golden fleece that will turn you into a rock music God. It just doesn't work that way. You gotta do that on your own. In the OP we have a college student with limited $$ and he is looking for a gig quality amp, specifically Mesa. I'm simply suggesting that there are a bunch of good choices for a lot less than a grand.

I'll leave you with a few quotes to ponder:

“Tone is in your fingers, effects just do the coloring.”
- Joe Satriani

“I don’t understand why some people will only accept a guitar if it has an instantly recognizable guitar sound. Finding ways to use the same guitar people have been using for 50 years to make sounds that no one has heard before is truly what gets me off.”
- Jeff Beck

"The most common misconception about tone is that its primary source is hardware. Tone comes from the heart of the musician. These tools exist to communicate the the emotion of the musician, so what counts is what is in his heart, his intent and his artistic perspective. A musician has something to say."
- Blackie Pagano

"I don't think that the actual gear is all that important as a player. I think if you've got good equipment, it's really about your personality, because that's what they are going to hear. I was always searching for the Holy Grail tone through the years, but it just doesn't exist."
-Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden

“A good player can make any guitar sound good.”
Michael Bloomfield

Quote by Cajundaddy
This is what boys do. If you need props to fill out your schtick, I get it. Might as well go all the way. It's still a free country so buy the hype if you must.

well you have obviously left showmanship out of your music journey

An old Valco will never sound like a cranked marshall ever, with out studio magic.

besides you've missed the target by a mile, good luck playing stuff

Did I mention how good a cranked marshall sounds, maybe you should try one some time your F30 could take some tips and learn something
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
words

Why have you made it one of those threads? This was just a thread about a guy looking at a few mesas, and you're intent on doing this for the 15898532846x time.

TS, listen to all the other great advice in here, and especially if you want the versatility, roadster.
Quote by ProgFolk12
Why have you made it one of those threads? This was just a thread about a guy looking at a few mesas, and you're intent on doing this for the 15898532846x time.

TS, listen to all the other great advice in here, and especially if you want the versatility, roadster.

+1 I don't understand why people feel the need to do that. Roadsters are good amps, buy what you like. Thats what i have always done.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I bought the Roadster. I know it probably would've been wiser financially to choose another amp, and I probably could have found something that worked for me, but this amp is amazing and I don't regret buying it. Thank you all for your advice.
it only gets better. The roadster just does so much I really think its more than worth the price. Enjoy it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by DefiantMethod
I bought the Roadster. I know it probably would've been wiser financially to choose another amp, and I probably could have found something that worked for me, but this amp is amazing and I don't regret buying it. Thank you all for your advice.

you made a good decsion. nice amp. i would love to hear some clips when you get her. also IMO read the manual a bit. it made navigating my mkIV MUCH easier

or print it off and be ready for the brown truck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Congrats on the roadster. highly capable amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by DefiantMethod

Awesome! Easy with the gain on channels 3 and 4.