So, I was at a guy's house selling a Dean to him the other night (Poor sod

And he claimed to me that Gibson outsource some of their guitars to Cort and make them in China and stick made in the U.S.A on it.

Has anyone heard this before? I haven't but I was just curious to see if this had any truth to it.

As far as I was aware Cort were made in the same factories as Ibanez and Epiphone (I think?) and that was that, anyone know anything?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by zl1288
Was he wearing a tinfoil hat?

He said he saw a video on it. So I've got no idea.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
What paint thinners was he sniffing when he thought of that?
Quote by Fisheth24

Has anyone heard this before?

Yes. From jealous people.
As far as I was aware Cort were made in the same factories as Ibanez and Epiphone (I think?) and that was that, anyone know anything?

This is partly true for Ibanez, and it used to be for Epiphone. But Epiphone has their own dedicated factory these days.
Quote by Fisheth24
He said he saw a video on it. So I've got no idea.

Videos say a lot of things.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 1, 2014,
I think i remember reading something about Gibson having a bunch of parts manufactured overseas, which then are shipped to the USA for assembly, and they still would brand them as MIA. I might be remembering wrong, though.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I think i remember reading something about Gibson having a bunch of parts manufactured overseas, which then are shipped to the USA for assembly, and they still would brand them as MIA. I might be remembering wrong, though.

Virtually all guitars produced in large quantities have at least some parts in their assembly come from overseas, so it's a moot point.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Virtually all guitars produced in large quantities have at least some parts in their assembly come from overseas, so it's a moot point.

IIRC, the issue was about the bodies being almost completed, fretboards fitted to the necks... Some of the most important manufacturing steps were supposedly being done in overseas factories, and the Gibson employees at USA factories merely had to put everything together. And they were still being sold as MIA guitars.
To be completely honest and correct, they would have to be sold as "Assembled in the USA".

But as i said, i may be remembering incorrectly, and i don't remember to which specific series of Gibson guitars this situation supposedly applied.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Some of the factory tour videos I've seen attest to quite the opposite.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Some of the factory tour videos I've seen attest to quite the opposite.

Yeah, I've actually toured the shop floor in Memphis. They make the hollowbody stuff there. Start to finish is in the shop. Some of the parts might not be, but bodies are CNC'ed there, necks are constructed there, and of course, final assembly and finishing is there.
They even had a rack of the limited edition bright green "Lucille" models going to Musicians Friend all ready to go.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Linkerman
IIRC, the issue was about the bodies being almost completed, fretboards fitted to the necks... Some of the most important manufacturing steps were supposedly being done in overseas factories, and the Gibson employees at USA factories merely had to put everything together. And they were still being sold as MIA guitars.
To be completely honest and correct, they would have to be sold as "Assembled in the USA".

But as i said, i may be remembering incorrectly, and i don't remember to which specific series of Gibson guitars this situation supposedly applied.

It applies to none of Gibson branded guitars. Once again proof of what kind of crap can spring out of a few mis-informed statements & there are plenty on this forum.
Gibson buys raw wood stock and it's processed from that in the US and made into guitars in one of their 3 USA facilities.
Bridges, tuners, Hardware (but not Pickups) are bought already made from other sources.
The fingerboards are rough shaped/sized blanks from India to comply with local regulations but Gibson still has to machine them, slot them, install frets and inlays and fit them to necks.
Moving on.....
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What paint thinners was he sniffing when he thought of that?

This pretty much.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Indeed. Given that Gibson allow the public to tour their factories—not to mention the fact that trading standards would have picked up on this years ago—you can rest assured that this guy is talking utter bollocks.

There are fake, knock-off Gibson guitars made in China. They have nothing to do with the actual Gibson company and, in most countries, it is illegal to sell them and can be illegal to purchase them. They are forgeries and should be ignored.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Indeed. Given that Gibson allow the public to tour their factories—not to mention the fact that trading standards would have picked up on this years ago—you can rest assured that this guy is talking utter bollocks.

There are fake, knock-off Gibson guitars made in China. They have nothing to do with the actual Gibson company and, in most countries, it is illegal to sell them and can be illegal to purchase them. They are forgeries and should be ignored.

Thought as much!

Thanks everyone for the help here. I was really confused when he told me this, I was like... What have you been smoking? I want some.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Did you get any stuff to smoke?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by cheesefries
This has to be a poor April fools attempt.

I actually forgot it was april fools day today, but I swear it's not.

He was genuinely convinced that Gibson and various other companies out sourced their guitars to Asian factories to Cort and Cruiser and all those kind of companies.

He was also saying how modelling software sounded better than a tube amp, but he never played through a tube amp and had only used Youtube to compare.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

He was genuinely convinced that Gibson and various other companies out sourced their guitars to Asian factories to Cort and Cruiser and all those kind of companies.

He was also saying how modelling software sounded better than a tube amp, but he never played through a tube amp and had only used Youtube to compare.

The only thing he really proved was his jealousy towards Gibson owners.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Fisheth24

ahh ok. You should have invited him to UG! He'd fit right in
Erm.... I don't think I've seen one person here say that modelling shit is better than tubes. This isn't the FA forums.

I don't see anybody here saying that Gibbies are imports either, maybe in the Other LP sections on MLP.

Basically what I'm trying to say is your joke would be funnier if you said that everybody recommends a 6505 even when you play blues and rock and 1 user is constantly trying to shill reverend guitars in every which guitar thread, even when the OP is set on a certain style of guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KenG
It applies to none of Gibson branded guitars. Once again proof of what kind of crap can spring out of a few mis-informed statements & there are plenty on this forum.
Gibson buys raw wood stock and it's processed from that in the US and made into guitars in one of their 3 USA facilities.
Bridges, tuners, Hardware (but not Pickups) are bought already made from other sources.
The fingerboards are rough shaped/sized blanks from India to comply with local regulations but Gibson still has to machine them, slot them, install frets and inlays and fit them to necks.

Again, just to be perfectly clear, i wasn't stating anything. I specifically said that i seem to recall reading that somewhere, and that i'm not even sure.
Since it was related to the thread in question, it was an opportunity to see if someone more knowledgeable would check the facts. Thanks for the info.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
(...) everybody recommends a 6505 even when you play blues and rock and 1 user is constantly trying to shill reverend guitars in every which guitar thread, even when the OP is set on a certain style of guitar.

Brilliant. You just nailed EG and GG&A in one sentence.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
When you've been around here long enough, you notice a few things
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Basically what I'm trying to say is your joke would be funnier if you said that everybody recommends a 6505 even when you play blues and rock and 1 user is constantly trying to shill reverend guitars in every which guitar thread, even when the OP is set on a certain style of guitar.

And Fernandez

And Line 6 Variax

And LTD EC-1000

And Agile

And Carvin

And Schecter

And Ibanez RG1550

I've pretty much summed up every single EG recommendation there ever has been.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
And Fernandez

And Line 6 Variax

And LTD EC-1000

Forgot about that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I even forgot some too before the edit:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I feel like were gonna get a few angry PMs in a bit
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't care if I get angry PM's, I'm inevitably going to be eliminated when my name appears in the elimination thread.

I have nothing to lose
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thankfully I'm under the radar enough to avoid that.

Hopefully.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm pretty sure someone would get recommended an Agile and a Jet City if they were looking for a new acoustic on some days

I'm not getting between you and Danny when he sees you dogged his Reverends
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I'm pretty sure someone would get recommended an Agile and a Jet City if they were looking for a new acoustic on some days

I'm not getting between you and Danny when he sees you dogged his Reverends

Dannyalcatraz likes Reverends?

News to me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Kemper, Axe FX can sound, and do sound as good as the amps they profile/model.

You just can't tell them part!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
Kemper, Axe FX can sound, and do sound as good as the amps they profile/model.

You just can't tell them part!

In a mix or in the room?

I bet you couldn't in the mix.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by classicrocker01
I'm pretty sure someone would get recommended... a Jet City if they were looking for a new acoustic on some days

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
In a mix or in the room?

I bet you couldn't in the mix.

Both. I'm telling you, your mind would be blown. If you play through a cab it sounds exactly the same, if you play through a FRFR solution iit sounds more like a micced amp, it's got so much clarity it's like you're listening through the clearest headphones.

I'm selling my Rockerverb setup within the next couple of weeks because it's so good. I'm gonna get a decent backup like a Super 60 or Laney VC50 but I have no need for the Rockerverb, as I never use it.

That's how good it is. But your opinion may differ.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Both. I'm telling you, your mind would be blown. If you play through a cab it sounds exactly the same, if you play through a FRFR solution iit sounds more like a micced amp, it's got so much clarity it's like you're listening through the clearest headphones.

I'm selling my Rockerverb setup within the next couple of weeks because it's so good. I'm gonna get a decent backup like a Super 60 or Laney VC50 but I have no need for the Rockerverb, as I never use it.

That's how good it is. But your opinion may differ.

Oh I agree with you, I thought you meant the opposite.

I'd get an Axe-FX but that's too much kit for me right now. I still like to be old school, plug my LP into my Fender and blast it up. But man, if I was a gigging like a madman, all my amps would be gone in a flash.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
But saying that, there's something about amps. I mean, they look so cool. My Kemper looks like a toaster!

But yea, it's great to have a hundred amps at your disposal. The difference with the Kemper is it profiles the amps, it doesn't model them.

Even though I have all those amps at my disposal I generally only use the Bassman! Go figure!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
But saying that, there's something about amps. I mean, they look so cool. My Kemper looks like a toaster!

But yea, it's great to have a hundred amps at your disposal. The difference with the Kemper is it profiles the amps, it doesn't model them.

Even though I have all those amps at my disposal I generally only use the Bassman! Go figure!

It's the mojo man. Kempers don't have mojo cause they lack a soul. It's like Robert Johnson.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Linkerman
Again, just to be perfectly clear, i wasn't stating anything. I specifically said that i seem to recall reading that somewhere, and that i'm not even sure.
Since it was related to the thread in question, it was an opportunity to see if someone more knowledgeable would check the facts. Thanks for the info.

Brilliant. You just nailed EG and GG&A in one sentence.

No problem, my comment was more about the fact that crap was out there for you to hear to begin with & not about your asking about it! It never hurts to ask, it's much netter than taking sh* t as gospel and passing it on.

Cheers
Ken
Moving on.....