Hello all!

I'm sure most of your advice will be either "don't do it" or "get an amp" but these two solutions are impossible for me at the moment.

So I play electric guitar in a rock band. My wife, the singer/rhythm guitar has always played acoustic guitar in the band. She's still going to be using the acoustic sound 95% of the time but she just got the Godin A6 Ultra with a piezo AND a humbucker:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godina6ultrap.htm

This guitar sounds great. When I get my interface back from the shop, I'll make a NGD thread about it.

The way we run it now is the two pickups into two different channels of the PA, the piezo with sparkling highs and the magnetic a beefy low end gives it a very nice and well rounded sound.

However, a few of our songs would benefit from a second distorted guitar. We've tried putting a distortion pedal in the magnetic pickup path right into the PA but the results are underwhelming.

Considering that it's for about 5% of our songs and the distortion level is very low (the acoustic sound is still dominant), we don't mind using that for now. Every time we jam we fiddle with the EQ on the board to make it a bit better but we have a gig next week and won't have too much time.

Basically so far we lower the highs and the very lows and we don't put a ton of gain on the pedal (always less than half)

So do any of you have any experience with running a distorted guitar through a PA?

If we do a gig and there's a second amp lying around, of course we'll use that but it might not always be the case.

Thanks!
It's what amp modellers are for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The best thing you could do is get a POD and run that into the PA
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Even a pocket pod would be preferable to what you are doing atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah... I was hoping there would be some sort of inexpensive workaround because the Godin sortof killed our budget for now and we're already saving up for a camera...

The pocket pod isn't footswitchable, right? Because it would need to be clean 95% of the time and switchable to dirt in the middle of a song
Nope.

If you want something footswitchable get a A/DA GCS-2.
Will sound good enough if it's only for 5% of the songs.
Or get a big graphic eq pedal or rack unit and mimic the frequency response chart of a guitar speaker of your choice, whatever is the cheapest.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
would the tech 21 blonde pedal work well in this case? I'd leave it on clean all the time and use my current distortion pedal for the dirt...

There's one for sale pretty cheap close by
On the super cheap but "acceptable in a pinch" you could get a pedal like a Bad Monkey that has a buffer AND more importantly an "emulated output" you can run straight to a mixer. Any other pedal that has the same features could be used the same way.

It works pretty well for a pedal you can snag for around 30 bucks. If it's just like you say 5% of your songs and use very little od... it might be an option! Below is a video some guy took running the emulated out straight to the computer.

http://youtu.be/Le5AZGpMQic

You would be using the output 2 (to mixer)

Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 1, 2014,
You could actually use a pocket pod or similar (Pandora, baby Zoom, etc) even though it isn't footswitchable. Run it as a clean amp and leave it on always, then kick in your distortion pedal when you need it. The pod will be filling out the amp and cab sim side of things and make both your clean and dirty sounds sound better. Basically, use it as a buffer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 1, 2014,
yeah, that makes sense! Since I would only use it for clean, would I be better off with the tech 21 I mentionned earlier? Also my wife is not too tech savvy, I think a stomp box would be easier to deal with than a unit like the line 6
Used pods go for like 60 bucks....
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.