Way cool.
5 10%
If it sounds good, who cares?
17 33%
Fake and gay.
30 58%
Voters: 52.
Page 1 of 2
Whatcha think about reliced instruments? Meaning intruments deliberately given an aged look, not legitimately old instruments.

(If this isn't off topic enough, I shall **** off promptly.)
I wouldn't sand down a new $700 guitar just to make it look old, but on a cheapie that doesn't get much use anymore, why not.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
id rather just get a new guitar and treat it like shit

its more personal that way
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I kind of like aging the colors to give it a vintage sort of look, but purposefully giving it spots where the finish has "worn off" is pretty dumb.
Who gives a shit? Music is about sound -- not looks. If the instrument sounds good, how does it matter that it looks "bad"?
Why would I pay anyone to beat up my guitar when I can do it for free?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Who gives a shit? Music is about sound -- not looks. If the instrument sounds good, how does it matter that it looks "bad"?

Because a guitar that looks good motivates you to play it.

A lot of the music industry is undeniably about looking good just as it is sounding good.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

That may be true for some people. Not for me. And, not for a lot of other musicians.

A lot of the music industry is undeniably about looking good just as it is sounding good.

Yes. But my personality just doesn't allow me to give a fuck about "industry".
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That may be true for some people. Not for me. And, not for a lot of other musicians.

I think you're more likely in a minority here. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but most people do give a shit. And I don't see what is wrong with that either.

What the music industry produces is in fact a part of the industry. So yes, you do give a fuck.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I like the relic'd look.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think you're more likely in a minority here. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but most people do give a shit. And I don't see what is wrong with that either.

Nothing wrong with any of that.

What the music industry produces is in fact a part of the industry. So yes, you do give a fuck.

Meh. Sort of. Kind of.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

you're such an independent and free thinker
my telecaster is already road worn enough from me dropping it on cement like a dozen times. it doesnt even have knobs anymore

i love it
Quote by Burgery
id rather just get a new guitar and treat it like shit

its more personal that way

Agre

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by sashki
They look alright if done properly but I don't see the point in making a new guitar look old. What are you trying to achieve?

The look of an old guitar maybe?

Don't quote me on that though
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have a factory relic'ed tele but I'm pretty indifferent to the relic-ness of it. I have gotten quite a few compliments on it but I just bought it cause it felt good, sounded good (still does) and was well made. I could careless about the "weathered look". I have an old lp special thats relic'ing naturally that I'm much more proud of the fact. The factory relic of the tele is lightly embarrassing I admit, in certain company.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

The look of an old guitar maybe?

Don't quote me on that though

WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW??
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 1, 2014,
Aesthetic is a huge part of music. There's something disingenuous about aged guitars though.
Quote by captainsnazz
Yeh m8 I use logic pro 9 and skinned it to look like logic 5 LMAO

I didn't really

You mean you took your Macbook Pro and made it to look like a PC, amirite?
The thing is, it still looks like a relic. They very rarely look convincing. It doesn't look like an old guitar. It looks like a new one that's been left in the rain and passed around a classroom of kids with hammers and learning difficulties.

The factory relic'd jobs are even worse. I can kind of, tenuously get the appeal of a one-off job done by an individual, but the ones done by machines are just silly. Looking at a row of telecasters in a shop and every single one has the same patch of rubbed off paint in the same place. I just don't understand the appeal.

They're often nice guitars, but they'd still be nice guitars and cost less if you didn't have to hand over more money to have had it beaten up beforehand.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
It's funny with guitars and relicing though. It's not like you go to the store and buy a relic'd tv or a relic'd car or anything.

"Yeah I'd like to buy a '73 240z but make sure you leave ALL the rust on the quarter-panels and leave the sperm and blood marks on the seats please! Oh, and here's an extra 200 bucks for the mojo"

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
think of cars like vaginas. if you're gonna be inside it, you don't want it to be gross and filled with blood and (other people's) sperm.

but with a guitar, you're not getting inside of it.
Thats like buying already ripped jeans.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by progdude93
think of cars like vaginas. if you're gonna be inside it, you don't want it to be gross and filled with blood and (other people's) sperm.

but with a guitar, you're not getting inside of it.

No, but if you have 20 years of dried up stranger sperm locked in that fingerboard, you're going to be rubbing it out with your hands when you play with it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No, but if you have 20 years of dried up stranger sperm locked in that fingerboard, you're going to be rubbing it out with your hands when you play with it.

why do you think people REALLY scallop fretboards?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

The Wangcaster was a one off!
Quote by Malchius
The Wangcaster was a one off!

Hey man... If you're looking for one, I've got one you can play with.

Quote by progdude93
why do you think people REALLY scallop fretboards?

Aerodynamics. Duh.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
We like to pretend that the word poser dies when we grow up, but deep down in our matured hearts still no one wants to be a poser.

So I'mma just go head and say and I don't think any would deny that road worn guitars are for posers.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

99% of people that claim to not care how a band looks wouldn't be pleased if their favorite band came out in skinny jeans, v-necks, and scene-kid hair, and 2-stepped around the stage. Fact

OT: Relic'd instruments are tryhard
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Apr 2, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Anyone else find the humour in a guy preaching to people about aesthetics while having Comic Sans in his signature?

No? Just me? Okay.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Page 1 of 2