I have volume issues so Princeton seems natural. But I hear Princeton is inferior in terms of tone.
Advice?

(Budget is not an issue. Used is an option. I play janglepop/indie rock/post-rock/shoegaze. Current gear is Stratocaster and a bunch of pedals)
Last edited by Saesang at Apr 1, 2014,
I don't have much experience with either so I can't comment on their relative tones, but IIRC neither of them have master volumes so if you want overdrive from your amp, you're going to have to play them loud enough that the difference in wattage will be close to negligible.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Both amps have great Fender tone. They are a little different, both good though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by barden1069
I don't have much experience with either so I can't comment on their relative tones, but IIRC neither of them have master volumes so if you want overdrive from your amp, you're going to have to play them loud enough that the difference in wattage will be close to negligible.

Right. I know I'll have to use pedals for overdrive.
But, playing clean tones. Let's assume both are tested at a certain low volume, say.. x dB; Which of them will do it better?
80db- both sound great
100db- both sound great
110db- Princeton is all in
115db- DRRI is all in

Need heavy OD at really low volumes for apartment living? Neither amp will sound very good. They are at their best when turned up.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Saesang
Right. I know I'll have to use pedals for overdrive.
But, playing clean tones. Let's assume both are tested at a certain low volume, say.. x dB; Which of them will do it better?

Well they're both gonna have great cleans, but just a little different. "Best" is pretty subjective, I'd say find a Princeton and A/B it with your DRRI to see which one you like better at the volumes you'll be playing at.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I own a princeton reverb reissue.

it has great cleans at bedroom volumes. and takes pedals extremely well at bedroom volumes.

it sounds amazing at moderate stage volume, cleans on the edge of break up. takes pedals extremely well.

cranked.....Duh. sounds like a classic cranked tube amp.

i dont own a deluxe reverb, but from my experience with them, they arent a whole lot louder. (I mean we are talking 15 watts versus 22 watts) i do have a preference for the sound of the princeton though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
You really have to change the volume pot in the DRRI to a log version if you are wanting to use it at low volume, otherwise the difference between too quiet and too loud is too close on the dial. Do that and they're just fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 1, 2014,
i like the DRRI's a lot. that would be my pick. breaks up a bit at the right volume and sounds great clean or with a little dirt or pushed for a hard-driven blues/classic rock.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
You really have to change the volume pot in the DRRI to a log version if you are wanting to use it at low volume, otherwise the difference between too quiet and too loud is too close on the dial. Do that and they're just fine.

Where can I find it?
Last edited by Saesang at Apr 2, 2014,