So my band and I are currently in disagreement on this...

This is what our rhythm guitarist is playing. He's tuned to drop D.

-------------3---0--------|--------3--3-3-3s-5----5--5-5-|-------------3---0--------|--------3--3-3-3s-5----5--5-5-|
--1----0-1----------1-----|--------3--3-3-3s-5----5--5-5-|--1----0-1----------1-----|--------3--3-3-3s-5----5--5-5-|
--2--------2-----------2--|--------5--5-5-5s-7----7--7-7-|--2--------2-----------2--|--------5--5-5-5s-7----7--7-7-|
--2-----------------------|--------5--5-5-5s-7-7--7--7-7-|--2-----------------------|--------5--5-5-5s-7-7--7--7-7-|
--0-----------------------|-----3---------3s-5-5--5--5-5-|--0-----------------------|-----3---------3s-5-5--5--5-5-|
--------------------------|--3------------3s-5-5--5--5-5-|--------------------------|--3------------3s-5-5--5--5-5-|

The Am is obvious but the new two chords is where the problem is. To me they sound like Csus2/F & Dsus2/G the bassist however is treating them like F & G chords - which would be sus2add13 I believe? When played by itself the rhythm guitar sounds pretty good, but I find as a whole band it just sounds a little off.

Personally I think it would be a lot stronger if we simplified the progression to either Am Csus2 Dsus2 or Am F G. Am I wrong? Is there another solution, or is the whole thing a lot less weird that I think it is?
Those sure don't look like F & G chords to me. And I'd bet they don't function as the VI & VII chords either.
Quote by icronic
To me they sound like Csus2/F & Dsus2/G the bassist however is treating them like F & G chords - which would be sus2add13 I believe?

what?

i mean, i'm not even going to address that ridiculous chord name. just what?

you hear the chords as having an F and a G in the bass respectively, but you get upset when the bassist plays the F and the G?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
what?

i mean, i'm not even going to address that ridiculous chord name. just what?

you hear the chords as having an F and a G in the bass respectively, but you get upset when the bassist plays the F and the G?

I'm not upset by what anyone is playing. To my ears it sounds off. Not bad, just off. They don't seem to notice the problem as much as I do. Which is why I asked in the first place. Either I'm wrong and it's fine the way it is, or I'm not and change would be beneficial to the song. In which case what would be the best thing to change? The bass? The Rhythm guitar? Both?

As for the ridiculous chord names... Well what would you name a chord that sounds like Csus2 but has F in the bass? What would you name it if it were an F chord? I mean it's Root, 2, 5, 6?
Last edited by icronic at Apr 1, 2014,
Quote by icronic
I'm not upset by what anyone is playing. To my ears it sounds off. Not bad, just off. They don't seem to notice the problem as much as I do. Which is why I asked in the first place. Either I'm wrong and it's fine the way it is, or I'm not and change would be beneficial to the song. In which case what would be the best thing to change? The bass? The Rhythm guitar? Both?

As for the ridiculous chord names... Well what would you name a chord that sounds like Csus2 but has F in the bass? What would you name it if it were an F chord? I mean it's Root, 2, 5, 6?

you're talking about how you hear the F and G in the bass but you don't like it when the bassist plays the F and the G. that seems rather ridiculous to me. change whichever you feel provides the song its better effect.

in the case of what you've provided i'd consider them incomplete 6/9 chords.
Quote by icronic

Change nothing. You're not wrong, in the sense that the chords are Csus2/F and Dsus2/G. But all that means is that you have F and G (respectively) in the bass of the chords. The bass player SHOULD be playing F & G over those chords.

Csus2/F. If your bass player doesn't get the concept of slash chords, then he needs to study.

For that matter, if you think the bass player should be playing C & D over those chords, you need to study. Start with inversions:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/42
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/47

Then connect the dots and realize that a slash chord is just another way people notate inversions.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 1, 2014,
If you don't like it when your bassist plays F and G over them, try different bass notes.

They will not be named Csus2/F and Dsus2/G if your bassist doesn't play F and G over them. The bass is what determines the X in Csus2/X.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
They will not be named Csus2/F and Dsus2/G if your bassist doesn't play F and G over them. The bass is what determines the X in Csus2/X.

just so we're clear, OP, this was the logic i used in my first post.
Quote by icronic
So my band and I are currently in disagreement on this...

The Am is obvious but the new two chords is where the problem is. To me they sound like Csus2/F & Dsus2/G the bassist however is treating them like F & G chords - which would be sus2add13 I believe? When played by itself the rhythm guitar sounds pretty good, but I find as a whole band it just sounds a little off.

Personally I think it would be a lot stronger if we simplified the progression to either Am Csus2 Dsus2 or Am F G. Am I wrong? Is there another solution, or is the whole thing a lot less weird that I think it is?
Someone has been eating a little too much spaghetti...

I agree with you, either change the progression to Am-F-G or have it as Am-Csus2-Dsus2 with the bass player playing either the roots or 5ths of the C and D chords, but F and G as bass notes under the C and D chords sounds more than a little off to me too!

Good luck!