I have been experiencing GAS for a while now, so I started thinking about getting myself a new guitar!

Specs:
- Alder or mahogany body with arched (or plain) maple top, I'm also fine with carved-top (or plain-top) ash. Lighter weight is a huge plus, slightly larger-than-usual dimensions are nice too
- Maple or mahogany through- or set-neck, prefer ebony fretboards, 22 or 24 frets. I like round-shaped necks, my current guitars' 60s Slim Taper is almost perfect, it would surely be the neck of my dreams if it was thicker by a mil or two
- Superstrat or LP DC or similar doublecut, would be really excited to see something more unusual than your typical Jackson/Ibanez shape
- 24,75" scale.
- both Floyd Rose (high-quality and reliable hardware is a must) and fixed bridge are fine by me, however I'm leaning towards a double-locking trem this time
- Preferably HSS configuration with 1V 1T and 3-way switch, HH is okay but HSS is better. Passive electronics.
- Made in Japan or Korea, USA-built might be out of budget
- Budget is 700-1250 USD
- I prefer new, used is fine as long as the guitar is in a great shape, keep in mind however that I live in Moscow, so the used market is not as large as in the US

The closest guitar I could find is a long-discontinued and rare Charvel 750XL. ESP Horizons are close to the spec-list, too, but these are 25,5" scale and I don't dig ESP necks, they are too small for my hands.

Thanks in advance!
The Kramer SM-1 Seymour Duncan is pretty much exactly what you are describing, only it's 25.5" scale. The neck is comparable to the '60s slim taper. Otherwise its got everything you're looking for, HSS, Mahogany carved top body, Mahogany neck thru, 24 frets, Ebony fretboard, 1v 1t 5 way blade switch and 3 way mini toggle, FR -1000 (Korean OFR), Passive Seymour Duncan's (Alt 8 & 2 Cool Rails), $919.99 USD. It's the closest guitar I can think of that's still in production that fits your specs and is in your budget.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Apr 2, 2014,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
The Kramer SM-1 Seymour Duncan is pretty much exactly what you are describing, only it's 25.5" scale. The neck is comparable to the '60s slim taper. Otherwise its got everything you're looking for, HSS, Mahogany carved top body, Mahogany neck thru, 24 frets, Ebony fretboard, 1v 1t 5 way blade switch and 3 way mini toggle, FR -1000 (Korean OFR), Passive Seymour Duncan's (Alt 8 & 2 Hot Rails), $919.99 USD. It's the closest guitar I can think of that's still in production that fits your specs and is in your budget.

Thanks a lot, that's a REALLY nice suggestion. Shame it has longer scale length, but I'll get over it if I purchase it. Otherwise it is as good as it can get for me!
Hows abouts prs SE custom 24 floyd. Its a 25" scale so not much longer. I love esp necks and found the SE necks a bit fat so.you might love em. It does have a rosewood fret board tho
Different? Consider these Reverends:

www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/bayonet-fm/

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/reeves-gabrels-ii/

www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-ra-fm/

While all are HH, their bass contour allows them to get some near-SC tones. Korina is tonally similar to mahogany, but lighter. Trems are Wilkinsons.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 1, 2014,
Schecter C-1 Custom

Mahogany body, carved top.
Maple neck, set with a carved heel
Ebony fretboard
24 frets
24.75" scale
Schecter necks aren't thick but aren't as thin as Ibanez/Jackson necks
Made in Korea

... but it only comes with a fixed bridge and HH pickups. The regular version can be bought with a Floyd Rose, but that has a rosewood fretboard, not ebony.

ESP do a EC (Les Paul) guitar with a Floyd, but a rosewood fretboard; they make a Viper (SG) with an ebony fretboard, but a fixed bridge. ESP necks are a little flatter than Schecter necks, but still not quite as thin as Ibanez/Jackson necks.

PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 is, again, only HH, and the scale length is .25" longer at 25" and it has a rosewood fretboard, but it otherwise does everything else you asked.

You could look around for some second hand Epiphones. Epiphone have made a few models with Floyds which were made in Korea and had most of the features you want. They're all pretty rare now, though.

I don't think you'll find everything you want because guitars with Floyds and ebony fretboards tend to be 25.5" scale and are often HH if they're a set or through-neck and the HSS ones are almost always bolt-ons. Bear in mind, too, that many cheap Floyds are not made well and could need replacing. Unless you're really set on having a Floyd I'd stick to having a fixed bridge. It's easier to get something good-quality with a fixed bridge in your price range than with a Floyd.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for your suggestions.

The PRS is nice, I haven't tried any SEs yet though, and their neck heels disgust me, but I think it's still worth giving them a shot, considering the fact that the reviews on these are pretty great.

The Reverends look cool, and are well-built (I know because I had a chance to play one), but I am still not sure if I like them. Korina bodies and necks are a huge plus, though, so they are worth considering, too.

MrFlibble, frankly speaking, I was almost dead-set on the Kramer the minute I saw it, but that Schecter made me feel doubtful. I can't say I like the looks as much, and the HH configuration puts me off slightly, but the fact that it has 24,75" scale and I can try it before I buy is great.

By the way, what's wrong with Floyds that are installed on the PRS and the Kramer? I had that same Korean model on my Charvel and it felt really solid and stayed in tune.
If you get the Korean ones then yeah, they're fine. Any unit with a steel baseplate is going to be okay.

However, a lot of Floyd units now are being produced in Indonesia and with zinc baseplates. Even guitars which are made in Korea have started to use Indonesian-made Floyds.

The key is to get a guitar with a '1000' or '2000' Floyd. Those are stilling being made in Korea. The 'Special' Floyd Rose used to be made in Korea with a steel baseplate but is now coming from Indonesia with a zinc baseplate. Without seeing the guitar in person you won't be able to tell which you're getting.

I believe PRS do insist on using the Korean unit. Kramer may not, though. Certainly, Epiphones (same company) with Floyds are now using the Indonesian units and most Kramers are made in China and Indonesia; the SM-1 is the only Korean-made guitar in their range at the moment. It could have a Korean-made, steel baseplate Floyd, but it may not. I recall somebody on here bought one about a year and a half ago that did have a Korean Floyd, but production changes quickly. This is, unfortunately, the problem with buying things online. I would hope that the SM-1s still have the Korean Floyd, but it's not something I would guarantee.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you get the Korean ones then yeah, they're fine. Any unit with a steel baseplate is going to be okay.

However, a lot of Floyd units now are being produced in Indonesia and with zinc baseplates. Even guitars which are made in Korea have started to use Indonesian-made Floyds.

The key is to get a guitar with a '1000' or '2000' Floyd. Those are stilling being made in Korea. The 'Special' Floyd Rose used to be made in Korea with a steel baseplate but is now coming from Indonesia with a zinc baseplate. Without seeing the guitar in person you won't be able to tell which you're getting.

I believe PRS do insist on using the Korean unit. Kramer may not, though. Certainly, Epiphones (same company) with Floyds are now using the Indonesian units and most Kramers are made in China and Indonesia; the SM-1 is the only Korean-made guitar in their range at the moment. It could have a Korean-made, steel baseplate Floyd, but it may not. I recall somebody on here bought one about a year and a half ago that did have a Korean Floyd, but production changes quickly. This is, unfortunately, the problem with buying things online. I would hope that the SM-1s still have the Korean Floyd, but it's not something I would guarantee.

Anything Kramer is selling over $600 is guaranteed to have a Korean made FR x000. That's nothing to worry about. They don't use any FR Specials on any of their guitars. They only use their own branded Floyd's on the lower end ones and Korean FR x000 on the mid-higher end ones. All the mid-higher end Kramer's (Pacer Vintage, The '84, Assault 220 Plus and SM-1) are all made in South Korea.