I originally posted this in the Gear Building section but I didn't get any responses so I thought I'd try my luck over here...

I recently bought a new amp, a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36. Should be here in a few days and I can't wait! Anyway... I found an empty 4x12 Hughes & Kettner cab locally for cheap. I don't need a 4x12, but I'm a sucker for matching gear, and it was only $50 and in great shape so I picked it up.

BUT... now I need some advice on what type of speakers to get for it. The cab has two inputs in the back - one to run the cab as 8 ohms mono, or you can plug into both jacks and run the cab as 2 x 16 ohms stereo. My new amp only has one output so I don't need a stereo cab, but I'd like to wire the cab up to factory spec anyway in case I ever decide to sell it.

So what should the ohms rating be for each speaker? 8 ohms? 16 ohms? And how should I wire them so the cab works as either 8 ohms mono or 2x16 ohms stereo?

Thanks!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
where are you located?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You'll want 8 ohm speakers. What type of music do you play?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
8 ohm speakers, each set wired in series for the 16 ohm stereo, and both sets run in parallel for the 8 ohm mono.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
8 ohm speakers, each set wired in series for the 16 ohm stereo, and both sets run in parallel for the 8 ohm mono.

Cool, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Thanks!

To answer the other questions, I'm in the US and the style of music I play varies (clean stuff, blues, classic rock, some heavier stuff).
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Look at WGS speakers, great sounding Celestion/Jensen clones and really good prices, most are <$70 w/ free shipping from MF.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look at WGS speakers, great sounding Celestion/Jensen clones and really good prices, most are <$70 w/ free shipping from MF.

Cool, thanks. Now I just need to sell off some more gear so I can buy them...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2