Ok, so I've got this little thing coming up in about 5 days where I've gotta play Constant Motion by Dream Theater (solo included). While I'm pretty strong with all the fast riffs and sweeps there is one section that kills me. It goes something like this

|E|-15-12----------------------12-15-12-------------|
|B|-------14-11----------11-14----------14-11------|
|G|-------------12-11-12----------------------12-11-|
|D|-----------------------------------------------------|
|A|-----------------------------------------------------|
|E|-----------------------------------------------------|

This is in 4/4, they're all 16th notes, thus making it one bar. Problem is its at 170 bpm or so and I can only get it at 115 before it goes sloppy. How can I possibly pick this fast between strings?
BigBoned: Hello Hung Daddy.

Hung Daddy: Hi. I'm eight and a half inches.

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
Long term answer: hitting 170 with a mostly 2 nps lick is really hard. Your picking technique has to be rock solid. Small movements, staying relaxed, and moving your hand a little as you go from string to string so that you don't have to cover all the distance with your wrist. And you have to have the lick down well enough that your brain has compiled all of this into a single fluid compound motion.

Short term answer: that's could easily be a couple of years of work with regular practice going from topping out around 115. At the absolute minimum, months, and that would be some exceptional progress for that amount of time. If you've got to play this in 5 days, then the only way I can see to pull it off is to cheat a little, and play the lick legato. That might be a stretch too, but I think that's a little more in the realms of possible. The next fallback if playing it with hammers and pulls is too much is to come up with an alt version of that bar that captures the spirit of the original as well as possible, but has less notes.

How sophisticated is your audience? The less sophisticated, the more you can cheat...
They'll know if I mess up but they're not gonna know exactly how the solo goes. If it really will take me that long I think I'll just improvise. Pretty sure he's using an augmented scale. Whatever, I've been playing 2 and a half years, they shouldn't be too upset if there's a bad note here and there. Thanks for the advice though!

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
Quote by thedyslexialove
They'll know if I mess up but they're not gonna know exactly how the solo goes. If it really will take me that long I think I'll just improvise. Pretty sure he's using an augmented scale. Whatever, I've been playing 2 and a half years, they shouldn't be too upset if there's a bad note here and there. Thanks for the advice though!

That exact lick is all whole-half diminished (assuming the key is E), not augmented.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Oh shit, right my bad. My teacher showed me the shape. I forgot the name

Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'd recommend playing it legato if you can or just doing a different lick, it's unlikely the audience will know the solo note for note anyway.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah create your own lick to replace that. You can just use the same notes, but less of em. Let's face it, there's no shortcut that would let you learn that in 5 days.