I have a cheaper Ibanez rg321mh.

I restrung it not long ago and set the action and intonation.

It is not a guitar I really play very much anymore so I really can't recall what the sustain was like before....it really has been over a year since I played this instrument. The G string however, especially around the 12th fret and higher up dies out really quick. I moved the action way up to see if there was some unwanted contact, but that did nothing. Compared to the D and B string, the G probably dies out about a 3rd of the time that the others are still ringing. The only thing I can think of other than a crappy string would be something at the nut.

Pickup height is pretty much from the factory, it has a set of beefy slinky 11-52 and the G string is unwound.

Are there any other things that could be wrong? Could it be an issue with the saddle?
Probably a worn fret or dented/damaged string. The nut has nothing to do with a fretted note way up there.

Inspect the area closely, check for debris on the bridge saddle of that string

Last edited by Tempoe at Apr 1, 2014,
I moved the saddle all over the place and it doesn't seem to do much. I am looking at the frets now....Another thing I forgot to mention: If I turn on a lot of gain and play on one string, the rest of the strings stay pretty quiet...If I don't mute them, there is a little bit of noise but nothing crazy. When I play the same notes on the G string, there is a lot of noise/vibration coming through the other strings. Seems like a bridge related issue...Maybe a lot of vibration coming through that saddle and causing other adjacent string noise.
It's normal. The G string's tension is weird and will always be twitchier to tune and won't ring out as long or as clearly. It's always most noticable at the 12th fret and around there. Just the nature of the string and how it's tuned relative to the other strings. It does tend to also generate more buzz at the bridge as a result, which is also going to sap a little resonance as everything is looser.

It is especially bad with guitars where the truss rod is very close to the fretboard, I have noticed. Something about how the neck resonates. It's not surprising you've noticed it with your Ibanez, given how thin those necks are and so how much of the neck is taken up bu the truss rod. I do find that guitars with much thicker necks don't have quite as much of a problem.

But yeah, it's normal. The only guitar I've ever played that didn't have it was a '56 Les Paul replica with a one-piece wraparound bridge and a neck like a tree trunk.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'm still thinking that something is wrong....compared to the sustain on my Stratocaster, it is very different.
Like I said, it varies with woods/construction/hardware. I see on your profile that your Strat is an American Standard; it really shouldn't be a surprise that such an instrument doens't show up the problems of the G string as much as a 321MH does. Thicker neck, the truss rod is set further from the fretboard, the body is made of fewer pieces of wood and it's higher quality wood, too.

If your Strat had as much of a problem as the 321MH, that would be a problem. THe 321MH having more of an issue than the Strat is totally normal.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble I have same problem on my American Standard Stratocaster, G string sustain is much shorter than on other strings. And it has relatively thick neck.