This has been a problem for a long time and I want to know if there's a solution. I play in a lot of weird tunings, the G string for example can be anywhere from G down to E. With this however, no matter what high end (cleartone, elixer) or low end brand (standard Fender strings) of strings I buy, the G string always breaks after a few weeks while tuning back up. Being that I don't have a job and my parents don't like always having to buy strings, it's frustrating. What doesn't make sense to me though is how it's only the G string, and I'm very careful with the G string when tuning, whereas all my other strings I tune quite quickly and they never break. My high E string for example, I can tune from Bb up to E in a few seconds with 3 month old strings without a problem.

It always breaks at the tuning post, and though I've heard I should check for dirt or any rough edges, I haven't the faintest clue what I'm looking at, doesn't help that tuning posts are quite small, and I don't know what they should or shouldn't look like. This Doesn't happen on my electric either. Any advice?
yeah, either the nut or the saddle. Can you figure out where the string breaks? if its at the nut... new nut/graphite rub or it could be the saddle... file it...or buy a new one.
You can check if there's any rough edges on the post and sand it down with some 500 or 1000 grit sandpaper. You could always try swapping the posts altogether too.

The most expensive option, obviously, is get another guitar for each tuning, but that's not viable I imagine :P
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by mark.bark
Can you figure out where the string breaks?

As I said in the OP, the string breaks at the tuning peg. Chances are it's just plain old metal fatigue being enhanced by my frequent retuning, but it just always struck me as odd that it happens so quick and only the one string.
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Apr 2, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
You can check if there's any rough edges on the post and sand it down with some 500 or 1000 grit sandpaper. You could always try swapping the posts altogether too.

The most expensive option, obviously, is get another guitar for each tuning, but that's not viable I imagine :P

That's the thing, I don't know what a rough edge really looks like on a tuning post. I've been contemplating getting this checked out by a tech, is this a good idea?

As for separate guitars, sometime in the future I will be buying a new guitar, and chances are I'll keep my current one for lower tunings, and the new one for higher tunings, which would control this issue to some extent, but I don't know when I'll be able to buy a new guitar.
Quote by mark.bark
Can you figure out where the string breaks?

TS specifically said that it breaks at the tuning post.

Maybe there's a little burr, imperfection, or sharp edge on that tuning post's hole?
Try to feel it with your pinky, or check it with a magnifying lens.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Jimjambanx
That's the thing, I don't know what a rough edge really looks like on a tuning post. I've been contemplating getting this checked out by a tech, is this a good idea?

As for separate guitars, sometime in the future I will be buying a new guitar, and chances are I'll keep my current one for lower tunings, and the new one for higher tunings, which would control this issue to some extent, but I don't know when I'll be able to buy a new guitar.

You can more than likely just feel it if you rub the tuning peg with your thumb or index (no jokes please lol). Even a small burr will be noticeable. You could sand it down. If you don't feel anything, try it anyway.

Otherwise, new tuning pegs would be like $30. Or you could try higher gauge strings.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
You can more than likely just feel it if you rub the tuning peg with your thumb or index (no jokes please lol). Even a small burr will be noticeable. You could sand it down. If you don't feel anything, try it anyway.

Otherwise, new tuning pegs would be like $30. Or you could try higher gauge strings.

That could work, how do you sand it? Just go over the edges with some fine grain sand paper?
Do you guys know of any strings that aren't that affected by metal fatigue? Like strings that can go a long time without breaking? That would be helpful too.
Yeah REALLY fine. Start with at least 400 or 500, then go to 1000 or 2000. Do the whole area where the string touches. And try to use a wooden dowel as a sanding block so the sanding is even. But if you have to use your fingers that will probably be fine.

EDIT: Stainless steel strings are ridiculously strong, but will wear your frets. And they are stupid expensive. A set of 10s from D'Addario's new NYXL line is like $11.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 2, 2014,
Post a pic of how your strings are wound. You may be doing it wrong. It's hard for me to picture a burr on a tuning post. They are pretty smooth, and if you wind the strings right I can't see a burr on the tuner affecting a string like a burr on the bridge.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Briefs will solve your problems.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
you should probably stop fingering minors.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheStig1214
Stainless steel strings are ridiculously strong, but will wear your frets. And they are stupid expensive. A set of 10s from D'Addario's new NYXL line is like $11.

Know of any good acoustic guitar stainless steel strings?
Quote by fly135
Post a pic of how your strings are wound. You may be doing it wrong. It's hard for me to picture a burr on a tuning post. They are pretty smooth, and if you wind the strings right I can't see a burr on the tuner affecting a string like a burr on the bridge.

I can't really get a good quality photo at the moment, but I know I'm stringing them right. The string is wrapped smoothly on the tuning post going down without any bends or wrapping over itself, and each string has about 3 wraps. Could doing more wraps on the G string work for longer string life?(LOLOLOLLOL G string hahahah, there, now no one can make the joke) I also hear a lot of tings and clicks when tuning, so maybe I should put more graphite in the nut slot, or make it bigger.
Quote by Jimjambanx
Know of any good acoustic guitar stainless steel strings?

Oh, damn this is an acoustic? Didn't realize. Yeah you don't wanna put steels on an acoustic. They will chew the thing to bits. The bronze strings used for acoustics are even softer than nickel ones electrics use. The closest you can get are silver wound steel strings like these: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=12
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9