So,On and off i've been playing electric for 19 years,I've just picked it up again after a break for a couple of years.I remember before i stopped i was kind of in the legato trap,My style was starting to bore me,i could improvise and run up and down scales and play various licks and link them etc fairly quick etc,but i was kind of stuck in a rut.Since i've just picked up the guitar again,I've promised myself to ditch my old ways and everytime i play,to try and pick every note to try and reinvent my style,I always have my old stuff there to add into the mix if i need but i'm trying to avoid it.So,How can i get my picking fluent and up to speed?What are some good excersises for this that work for getting my right hand working in harmony with my left to eventually make this style second nature?
Cheers guitar guys
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Apr 2, 2014,
People will probably tell you to do any number of different exercises but really you can play almost anything, the important thing is how you do it.

You really just need to play anything with lots of picking in it and concentrate on making sure you're doing it right: relaxed, small motions; hands synchronized as much as possible. That's the really important part, beyond that it's more a question of making sure what you're doing is musical because that way you have something to play as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I started many years ago Alternate picking I was actually alternate picking without actually knowing what it was back then it just felt natural to me , now i know what alternate picking is i worked on improving my speed basically I alt pick everything scales - licks - improvising -
If you really want to shred you need to choice your style first and then work on it you can use a metronome and work with a scale of notes . Personally I think alternate picking gives you more range in the long run .
Quote by dazzzer30
Personally I think alternate picking gives you more range in the long run.

It doesn't particularly, they're more or less even aside from the sound.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've heard a few guitar players try playing lead with only downstokes. It doesn't seem to work.
Cheers guys.I do alt pick,Taught myself to do that early after seeing how limited Noel Gallagher was back then with his slow down stroke style.It's just i've always used it in conjuction with legato so my right hand never got as good as it could be.I wanna try and make my right hand as good as my left and get them moving in conjuction,Then up to speed.I found one excercise by Guthrie Govan but it seems a long way off to be able to pick that accurately and quickly.I see guys like Paul Gilbert,Malmsteen even Randy Rhodes,Steve Morse and alot 80's guys running up the neck at unbelievable speeds whilst hitting every note.I know the likes of Kirk Hammett,Satriani,Vai all made a career out of a legato style but i'm after that hard hitting shred sound that sounds so impressive.
Vai's picking skills are quite formidable; he's known for his legato and phrasing, sure, but don't underestimate his picking.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Picking is what separates one guitarist from any other. We can all play the left hand part, eventually.

Work on rhythms.
Yes, pick every note. Unless the piece calls for a slur, you play everything as written.
Quote by AngryHatter
Picking is what separates one guitarist from any other. We can all play the left hand part, eventually.

That's such an ignorant thing to say...