Page 1 of 3
Hi, I 'm writing a paper for my wood chops class about guitar building, and I'm writing a part where I describe the sound differences depending on what wood you use for the guitar. Like, I know some woods make the guitar sound more bassy and some give better sustain etc. I can't really find a site that gives me this info.

Tell me at least a little bit about the correlations between guitar wood and sound?

Thank you
Last edited by TerriThrash at Apr 2, 2014,
I can't really find a site that gives me this info.

Warmoth->Guitar Bodies->Body Woods
Warmoth->Guitar Necks->Neck Wood
The tones of different woods is a complicated subject. If you're not already clued up on it then I suggest you don't base your paper on it. It takes years of comparing guitars to pick up on what wood does what, when and why.

As a general rule, denser woods = brighter tone. Different ways of constructing a guitar, different hardware and different eelctroncis will all alter how much the wood matters, or parts of the wood in some cases. For example, a neck-through guitar gets most of its tone from the neck/center block, and the body 'wings' are almost irrelevant to the sound, no matter the wood.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The actual wood makes very little difference to an electric guitar's tone.

#ThereISaidIt
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
The actual wood makes very little difference to an electric guitar's tone.

#ThereISaidIt

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
God. Please, not this again!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
God. Please, not this again!

I guess it's been maybe a whole five days since the last one popped up, so I guess we were about due for another...
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I want those cats.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Rob Chapman has a great video. He has 2 identical guitars in every way except for the body wood used. He used a mahogany body and the other swamp Ashe, same pups strings. Both guitars into the same amp so that was identical as well and him and Lee even used the same plectrum. Its worth looking at and it kills the myth that tone wood makes no difference. Good place to look for idea for what your doing.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Rob Chapman has a great video.
Sorry, I couldn't read any further, my sides are in too much pain.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've warmed to the guy a bit more recently.

Recently he posted a video of a busker and he made £80 from it, so he went and gave the guy the money, then he bought him a camera, helped him set up a YouTube account so that he could post videos of his songs and sell them.

Pretty cool move. I do find some of his videos a bit annoying still.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
I've warmed to the guy a bit more recently.

Recently he posted a video of a busker and he made £80 from it, so he went and gave the guy the money, then he bought him a camera, helped him set up a YouTube account so that he could post videos of his songs and sell them.

Pretty cool move. I do find some of his videos a bit annoying still.

That's pretty cool!

Dave_Mc, his #1 fan here, can probably confirm that story, too.
Here's that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnIu1hd4q0

The guy's name is Andrew Neil. He has a channel now. It's really great to see a musician helping out a fellow musician who is going through a tough time. The guy has actually done a lot. And people like Rob Chapman are making money off of him and he wasn't seeing a cent of it until Rob came along.
This question would be much better asked in the acoustic guitar forums. Not that its a bad question but its less likely to provoke name calling over there
The thing is, with so many variables of different woods, surely someone must have proven/disproven by now.

Seriously, what I tried out four schecters (Two of them were the same model, same everything) I could hear a difference in tone based upon which one was heavier/lighter.

Maybe that's just my personal experience (Hence not proof) but can different types of finishes change the tone?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Nope- near as I can tell, all of the studies claiming to be definitive have been shown to have flaws.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm not sure what we can say definitively about woods when we have perfectly viable guitars made of steel, aluminum, plexiglass, carbon fiber, etc., all of which sound pretty much like the guitars we're used to.

I'm not sure what we can say definitively about woods when we have perfectly viable guitars made of steel, aluminum, plexiglass, carbon fiber, etc., all of which sound pretty much like the guitars we're used to.

We can say that those materials may resonate similarly to certain woods.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
We can say that those materials may resonate similarly to certain woods.

Resonance is an interesting term to use where electric guitars are concerned. What's essential to an electric guitar is how much string energy the rest of the guitar *removes* from the vibration of the string.

What makes an acoustic guitar is the amount of transfer of string energy to vibrating bits that transfer those vibrations to the air. Thus you get a lot of attack and a lot of decay, and "resonance" is what makes the sound that we hear.

With an electric guitar, pretty much the opposite is true. The louder the guitar unplugged, the more string energy is being lost to the guitar bits that move in air and the less you'll hear through the pickups.There's no "reinforcement" of certain frequencies going on (otherwise we'd finally have the perpetual motion machine).

This includes anything from loose frets to lightweight bridges to soft woods that soak up sound or tops that are set to vibrating. A guitar with glued frets, a heavy bridge mounted on a piece of brass set into a small, thick, dense body with medium output pickups will have a different sound from a guitar with loose (or dead-sounding) frets, a lightweight bridge, a thin (or chambered or hollow) body, lightweight woods, etc.

In that respect, sometimes the odd construction choices can have a greater influence on sound than the choice of woods.
Argghhhhh!

That is all.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by dspellman

Id play it.
Quote by Ippon
That's pretty cool!

Dave_Mc, his #1 fan here, can probably confirm that story, too.

I don't think i'm that hard on him (despite my sig). And IIRC he did get banned from here for hawking his vids.

But yeah as far as i'm aware, that happened (the giving money to the busker thing). someone posted the vid on the fretboard forum. credit where credit's due and all that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was walking behind Chappers once. He was talking to some dude with crazy-huge hair about some guitar spec. I didn't pay much attention, I just thought "huh, that's that guy who shills for Andertons" then carried on past him.

Dude walks slow.

Yeah, that's all I've got.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When I build my Les Paul I reckon its going to be the first full weighted LP ever to have neck dive. I'll be using a chunk of 120 year old Iron bark for the neck that used to be a floor joist in an old 'Queenslander' style house that had some timbers replaced up in Townsville QLD a few years ago.
Nah, the Vixen and Goddess LPs already have noticable neck dive as it is.
Its when you are wearing a guitar on a strap while standing up, and the guitar wants to drop the headstock to the ground because generally the neck and body are out of balance. There are ways to stop it like using a thicker strap or moving the strap button on the neck side to a better position.
Quote by dazza027
Its when you are wearing a guitar on a strap while standing up, and the guitar wants to drop the headstock to the ground because generally the neck and body are out of balance. There are ways to stop it like using a thicker strap or moving the strap button on the neck side to a better position.

Thank you.
Whenever someone tries to validate how tone woods effect electric guitars, they'll use the same cables, pick, amp settings, strings, etc. There is always one problem that people have when comparing two guitars, and that is the electronics on the guitar.

What many people don't know is that electronics have tolerance levels. Even though both guitars would have 250k pots (assuing we're comparing identical Fender Strats with the only difference being body wood), the actual rating can be within a 5-10% tolerance range. So, that makes each pot potentially being anywhere from 225k to 275k in a 10% tolerance level. The same thing will also apply to pickups and them being ever so slightly different. Height level will also effect the pickup's sound.

I believe that if a person is going to compare tonewoods in an electric guitar, they should use the same exact electronics in both guitars. What I mean is basically testing one guitar (an alder strat), and than taking the loaded pickguard and placing it onto another strat (let's say basswood).

That's just my personal belief on testing the effects an electric guitar's sound. I mean, the material obviously makes a difference in an acoustic or unplugged guitar, but I'm really skeptical on how it works on a plugged in electric.
Skip the username, call me Billy
ya know there would be a somewhat easy way to do a better "wood review" that i've never seen anyone try before.

Just take a loaded pickguard, a strat neck, and use the same trem.

ONLY swap the bodies to different woods. We all know pickups of the same model can sound drastically different so it only makes sense to use the same pickups as well.

Until I see one of those demos I don't believe any of the wood reviews.

------------------------

S**T I pretty much said exactly what ^^^^^ that guy said before my post.
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 4, 2014,
I literally have no idea on this subject. I've watched and read so much about it all and I'm still undecided.

It just annoys me now. All stahp.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 4, 2014,
I'm still on the fence on this subject,I've seen quite convincing vids which claim to prove it both ways.I mean even with those metal or carbon guitars,Who's to say that the wood in the neck is or is'nt making some impact on the tone?
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Apr 4, 2014,
Page 1 of 3