I would greatly appreciate any opinions or knowledge on this. I play standard tuning (440hz) through either EMG 81/85 or 81/60's. Have a 6505+ head, and am currently playing through a Marshall 1960AV (with V30's) and a JCM900 (with GT12-75's). Love the tightness of the V30's, and also love the looseness of the 12-75's.

But what I'm looking for is a flat face B cab to compliment the AV. Hope this makes sense, but somewhere between the tight "dry" sound of Metallica (MOP, JFA, Death Magnetic) and the fuller sound of Megadeth. I don't want something muddy on the low end, as I play rhythm.

I've ruled out Orange, as they seem to mimic the 12-75's I already have, and seem a bit "loose, at least on the Youtube videos I've seen.

I think I'm looking then at the Mesa Recto's, yet am unsure of whether the Traditional/Stilleto (smaller) or the Standarard/Oversized would be best. From what I've read/seen, the smaller "traditional" is tighter, but with my standard tuning, would that sterilize the sound too much?

I've also read that the Oversized is not a good match for the 6505+, yet am open to opinions.

Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated.
I think you have the wrong amp, dude. Because the cabs you have are already what I'd recommend for that sound. I think a mesa or orange cab would only further "modernize" your tone. I would try mixing your v30s and g12-75s in an X pattern before anything else.

As much of a fan as I am of 5150/6505s, they don't really recreate that old school thrash sound authentically. However, I play that genre with my 6505 as well and still think it sounds great - just different.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Mesa rectifier 4x12.
Though if you really want that thrash sound, as KaliM said you're better of with a new amp than with a new cab - some really highly boosted relatively old marshalls.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by pbrt45

I've ruled out Orange, as they seem to mimic the 12-75's I already have, and seem a bit loose

and considering Mesa which is also a birch cab with V30s?

ummm what?

The only opinion I can give you is to never form an opinion based off YouTube videos. Ever.
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 2, 2014,
Thanks, dudes! I appreciate all the input.

So based upon that, I'm leaning towards a traditional/"smaller" flat fronted Mesa Recto. I think the description of my target sound was confusing, though I appreciate the input.

I'm not trying to replicate the 80's thrash Marshall sound so much as bring it a bit more into the "modern" textured sound while retaining the crispness and clarity with the palm muted downstrokes. Not the overpowering downtuned bassiness.

Hope that makes more sense. Appreciate the opinions!
Quote by cheesefries
and considering Mesa which is also a birch cab with V30s?

ummm what?

The only opinion I can give you is to never form an opinion based off YouTube videos. Ever.

yeah, but the Mesa V30 s different than the V30 orange uses
Look for a used marshall MF 280 or MF400 B cab, they are oversized cabs "(similar to Mesa standards.

You might want to look for a Marshallish voiced amp for what you want to do, 5150/6505 are more modern sounding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pbrt45
Thanks, dudes! I appreciate all the input.

So based upon that, I'm leaning towards a traditional/"smaller" flat fronted Mesa Recto. I think the description of my target sound was confusing, though I appreciate the input.

I'm not trying to replicate the 80's thrash Marshall sound so much as bring it a bit more into the "modern" textured sound while retaining the crispness and clarity with the palm muted downstrokes. Not the overpowering downtuned bassiness.

Hope that makes more sense. Appreciate the opinions!

EVH 5150 III
marshall JCM900 SL-X
Splawn Nitro

would be some amps to look at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wouldn't that just come from studio micing? Reason I am asking is cause I had a guy walk in on a recording with exact amp you mention and a ragged 70s Marshall 1960 cab with greenbacks, and then with the proper overdrive and mic technique we got the modern sound that I think you describe. There wasn't much bassiness to it. Don't forget the sounds you hear on record are produced in a recording studio, i.e. what mic hears is not what you hear.

How about just a tad of compression and OD on that setup in the front. We used Voodolabs Sparkle Drive and Marshall Ed Compressor for this particular session.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 2, 2014,
Here is the Youtube clip I was referencing; probably should have started out with this, huh? While I understand it is Youtube, it does give a nice side by side comparison of the cabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iciye74KoFo

To me, the Marshall has a nice edge to it, though looser/fuller than the Mesa. The Mesa has awesome clarity, though a bit "restricted", if that makes sense. The Peavey is a bit muddy, though full.

While the Mesa in this is a Slant Standard (Oversized), I'm thinking the Traditional Straight will be the one to go with. I can put the Marshall AV on top of it, and figuring that should give me a nice mix.

In response to some of the comments:

Yup, very aware of the studio miking magic, although I do appreciate your sharing your experience with the 1960 cab and what you guys are using. Always learning!

While Orange is a similar configuration (V30's/birch), the lack of casters and the weight were a bit of a turnoff. The sound was awesome, yet I was afraid it would be like the Mesa Recto Oversized and lose clarity and precision.

OH HECK YEAH on the X pattern! That's actually why I have the JCM 900. Just about complete with the re-tolexing, and want to swap out two of the 12-75's with V30's. Petaining to that, feel free to let me know your opinion on this:

So the JCM 900 is an "A" cab (slant) that I bought on CL for $200. Removed the old tolex, sanded it down, just waiting for the weather to warm up for the adhesive so I can complete the corners and piping. Also purchased new casters, so stoked on completing this.

I have a line on a Line 6 (no pun intended) with the V30's in it (the Bogner designed one) for $200. It's also slant cab, so it won't work for what I need, BUT I was thinking of buying so as to do the X pattern in the JCM 900. Let me know what your opinions/experiences with that are.

Thanks again!
You need an X pattern of V30s and G12K100s. Not quite as tight as just V30s, but much tighter than the g12T75, and adds a lot of punch to the sound. I have a Mesa and a Marshall MF400 with that combo, and it's delicious. Where are you located? Your options could vary based on location.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Stick an MF400 under the 1960AV.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Or better yet, get a MF400, pull two speakers out of each it and the AV, and X pattern both cabs
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan