Hello this is the first time i have ever been on a forum so please excuse me if i am in the wrong place.

I am no pro guitarist and i have only been playing guitar for a short while. I want to seriously get into playing and getting a nice tone. I bought a Gibson LPJ Pro from a local guitar center and i was blown away by what i thought was a nice clear crispy tone. This is my first electric guitar so i have no other basis of comparison.

anyway down to my question, it had intrigued me to replace the bridge pickup for a 498T pickup and i was wondering if this is a good upgrade. i am aiming to get a versatile tone from a warm jazzy/r&b to a rock.

what are some note-worthy mods to put into this LPJ Pro?
The LPJ already has a 498T bridge pickup.

There's no such thing as general, all-purpose modifications that will improve any given guitar. You just ahve to ask yourself whether there is anything about the guitar you're not entirely happy with. If there is, think about what it's like now and what aspects you would like to change. Once you've actually identified which bits you want to change (if there are any), then you can narrow down which modifications to make.

Electric guitar mods are very subjective. What one person thinks is an absolute necessity another person may think is a downgrade. So you need to spend some time with the guitar, think hard about what you might want to change, and be more specific.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The LPJ already has a 498T bridge pickup.

The LPJ Pro has some other pickup, either a "'61 Zebra" or a "490T Bridge" depending on year and if Guitar Center's website can be believed.

If you like the pickups that came with it, keep them. I personally don't like the 498T, but others love it.
The wiring configuration can change your tone a nice bit. If you're looking for a brighter tone go for 50's style wiring, there's loads of good wiring diagrams on Seymour Duncan's Website. However, I never did this to a guitar with a PCB so I'm not sure if the whole lot needs replacing or not. Experimenting with new pots and caps to your taste makes a nice difference too.
Quote by Preacher403
The LPJ Pro has some other pickup, either a "'61 Zebra" or a "490T Bridge" depending on year and if Guitar Center's website can be believed.

If you like the pickups that came with it, keep them. I personally don't like the 498T, but others love it.

Ah, fair enough, I missed the 'Pro' bit.

It'll be the 490T, because the '61 is in the 2014 model which still isn't in stores.

Even so, the 490T and 498T are very similar. The only difference is the 490T has an A2 magnet and the 498T has an A5 magnet. OP said "warm jazzy/r&b to a rock", which is going to make the A2-based 490T more appropriate, anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks guys! I will most likely try to switch out that PCB for a '50s type of wiring sometime in the next couple months.
50s wiring is simple and one of the best modifications you can do if you want a sweeter, more open tone. It makes the volume knob on the guitar much more useful as well.
Personally I wouldn't change a thing as the guitar sounds great stock and has major mojo. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY