It is beautiful! ..but it has flaws..? I bought it new off of amazon, but it seems like a B stock guitar. There was no mention of B stock anywhere on the page. Should I be upset with these flaws? I mean, I did pay $700 for it.

I don't know if you can see it well because my phone doesn't take great photos, but there are clear blemishes all over the finish. These are very noticeable to me, and actually kind of bother me..

Maybe it wasn't captured the best in the pictures, but to me it honestly looks just fine (: and the "wear" spots will happen eventually anyways.

I wouldn't be worried/stressed man. Just have fun with it!
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
It looks fine to me and I have seen worse... believe 1300 dollar Jackson where I saw the headstock coming right off when I got out of the packaging. Have you taken off the protective paper (I don't know how to call it, white plastic thingy) from the back cavity on the picture 6?
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Okay, thanks. I'm sorry, I'm a noob and this is my first guitar. I want to make sure I keep it in nice shape too. I also have one last question for the moment. The guitar has EMG 81 in bridge and EMG 60 in the neck, but the 81 seems like it isn't in position correctly. It's extremely wobbly and slides around a lot if touched. Is this normal?
Quote by AtomicFire7
but the 81 seems like it isn't in position correctly. It's extremely wobbly and slides around a lot if touched. Is this normal?

It's normal don't worry
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by MatejSJ
It looks fine to me and I have seen worse... believe 1300 dollar Jackson where I saw the headstock coming right off when I got out of the packaging. Have you taken off the protective paper (I don't know how to call it, white plastic thingy) from the back cavity on the picture 6?

I don't think so. There is a plastic cover I'm supposed to take off? Are you talking about on the back of guitar behind the pickup selector?
Quote by AtomicFire7
I don't think so. There is a plastic cover I'm supposed to take off? Are you talking about on the back of guitar behind the pickup selector?

Yes behind the pickup selector. But usually guitars come with protective packaging cover on scratchy plastic surfaces. It looks to me that on the picture 6 you still have that cover, I might be wrong though.
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
The company that sold it to you on Amazon is probably a brick & mortar store too. The guitar is probably new but it may have been on their showroom floor and played by customers (which is extremely common). The few dings looked minimal in the picture and nothing I would be concerned with.
Quote by MatejSJ
Yes behind the pickup selector. But usually guitars come with protective packaging cover on scratchy plastic surfaces. It looks to me that on the picture 6 you still have that cover, I might be wrong though.

Well, it seems like there is, but there's nothing to actually peel away. It may be that the plastic part was accidentally heated by some means because it looks like the plastic bubbled up a big around it.

No, it actually says ships and sold by amazon.com, but I assume they must have acquired it from some guitar place. Almost every other guitar I saw for sale on their site were sold on their site by other guitar sites or brick and mortar stores.

One last thing, someone mentioned that when buying a guitar online, it's good to take it to a shop to get it all set up. Should I? And approximately how much do they charge for this?

Overall, thank you all for quelling my concerns. Now, it time to actually try it out!
yeah the plastic bits have protective clear plastic on them to protect them. take those clear plastic bits off and odds are those bits will be fine.

the dinks in the actual guitar's finish, it's up to you. if they annoy you enough you'd be within your rights to send it back, I imagine. if you don't care they're probably only cosmetic.

Quote by AtomicFire7
Well, it seems like there is, but there's nothing to actually peel away. It may be that the plastic part was accidentally heated by some means because it looks like the plastic bubbled up a big around it.

there is, i can see it from here in the pics. rub (gently) your fingernail over it (at the edge of the plastic plate) and it'll come away. or unscrew the plastic plates' screws and that might make it come away more easily (it might be slightly stuck under the screws).

it's like the clear covering that watches come with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 2, 2014,
Quote by AtomicFire7

No, it actually says ships and sold by amazon.com, but I assume they must have acquired it from some guitar place. Almost every other guitar I saw for sale on their site were sold on their site by other guitar sites or brick and mortar stores.

One last thing, someone mentioned that when buying a guitar online, it's good to take it to a shop to get it all set up. Should I? And approximately how much do they charge for this?

Overall, thank you all for quelling my concerns. Now, it time to actually try it out!

You can still try getting it off gently with a flathead screwdriver or something.

If the action is good enough for you you probably won't need a setup, but it;s a good idea to get the guitar checked out anyway. When I got my 7 string set up at the GC luthier it was $75, but local luthiers could probably do it cheaper.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If the strings are buzzing out, I would bring it in to have the neck adjusted Otherwise I wouldn't worry. In my area it's $20 to have a non trem setup; neck adjusted, restrung, intonated, etc...
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Honestly probably normal finish blemishes from LTD, of both LTD guitars I've bought new, one had a ding and missing paint on the corner (was a v) and the other (my EC1000T) has clear coat paint drips on the headstock.

Yes, there is plastic covering on the control cavities, definitely can see in in the pictures.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
When you spend $700 or any amount on a new guitar really, you're entitled to what you believe you're buying.

I'd be pretty pissed tbh, and I'd be in touch with their customer service to get a new guitar shipped out and have return shipping charges paid for you and I'd be wary about doing business with them again.

Edit: Though, if you don't keep it in a case, it's going to get chipped like that anyway. Good luck with everything.
Last edited by dyingturtle at Apr 2, 2014,
Considering you bought it for 700$,there was something that had to knock it down from 899.
Honestly, a new guitar is eventually get worn in with some Knicks and dings and such
Those ec-1000 s are beasts.iv had mine for two years now and has been great for gigs and such and the only wear I have noticed is the gold is wearing of the bridge,but I think that gives it character!
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
The close up on that fret makes it look sort of flat. Flat frets can cause intonation issues, make bending harder, and cause fret buzzing no matter where your guitar's action is set.

Out of everything shown here, the only thing that seems bad is that one fret, tbh.
That fret looks completely flat like its been filed but never crowned. That alone would make me send it back.
Quote by Darkdevil725
That fret looks completely flat like its been filed but never crowned. That alone would make me send it back.

So my options for fixing it would be to either sending it back for another or bringing it to a luthier, correct? Well, I do want a "new" condition guitar because that's what I paid for, but this is also my spring break. I wanted to get started learning now.. However, I definitely want what I paid for.

Btw, can anyone recommend a guitar strap to me, or does not really matter too much? Also, it is easier to learn sitting down or standing up? It's been hard trying to find a comfortable position while sitting.
Quote by Darkdevil725

I disagree. Having a slightly flattened crown on the very top of the fret is generally considered acceptable. If the top of the fret was perfectly round, the crown would get worn down very, very quickly. Luthiers who level and crown frets very often do have the top of the crown flattened out slightly for that reason.

Also bear in mind that the light reflecting off the metal on the fret itself may make the flattening of the top of the fret wire seem worse than it really is.
Quote by AtomicFire7
So my options for fixing it would be to either sending it back for another or bringing it to a luthier, correct? Well, I do want a "new" condition guitar because that's what I paid for, but this is also my spring break. I wanted to get started learning now.. However, I definitely want what I paid for.

Btw, can anyone recommend a guitar strap to me, or does not really matter too much? Also, it is easier to learn sitting down or standing up? It's been hard trying to find a comfortable position while sitting.

Honestly I think you're worrying far too much about relatively benign details.

Realistically, you will ding the guitar and cause damage to the finish in some way or another, no matter how careful you are. So in the grand scheme of things, tiny imperfections in the finish are not going to matter, especially after you begin playing it in the next couple of years, or even months. Satin finishes on guitars (like you do) inevitably wear with playing as well, and there is nothing you can realistically do to prevent that.

A guitars frets inevitably will wear with playing- that's just the nature of fretted instruments in general. There is nothing you can do about that other than to have the frets levelled and crowned when the frets are worn. What you have at the moment is acceptable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 2, 2014,
I was also a little appalled it came in an extremely flimsy cardboard box covering the case with the guitar and everything else inside. The case the guitar came in is a piece of sh*t, no doubt, but it was ripped in the corner when I took it out of the cardboard. Also, one of the locks was undone and it was hanging all awkwardly off balance. The case doesn't even seem to open and close normally, but I guess that's a test to its quality, not the shipping.

Edit: I'm wondering if I should ask for a replacement case, just buy a new one, or deal with it.

Last edited by AtomicFire7 at Apr 2, 2014,
Imo you should just deal with it. That tiny tear in the corner of the case was likely going to happen anyway if you're actually planning to use it the way it was intended. And it's the same story with your guitar- imperfections in the guitar inevitably will arise with use, even if you're super careful.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Imo you should just deal with it. That tiny tear in the corner of the case was likely going to happen anyway if you're actually planning to use it the way it was intended. And it's the same story with your guitar- imperfections in the guitar inevitably will arise with use, even if you're super careful.

I realize that, but it's me who's supposed to be the one making those things happen.

I understand I sound crazy, but it's just how I am sometimes, I want everything to be perfect, especially when making a huge purchase like this.

Do you have any recommendations on a strap, or should I just go into guitar center and pick one. I can't imagine they are too expensive or matter too much, but I thought I'd ask in case there's something I should know.
Quote by AtomicFire7
I realize that, but it's me who's supposed to be the one making those things happen.

I understand I sound crazy, but it's just how I am sometimes, I want everything to be perfect, especially when making a huge purchase like this.

I appreciate that, but its unrealistic to expect a mass-produced guitar to be completely flawless in every conceivable way. The imperfections you have found are not a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things. I doubt that with use, you'll even remember where those flaws once were, because they'll be covered up with the other flaws that you yourself created just by using it.
Do you have any recommendations on a strap, or should I just go into guitar center and pick one. I can't imagine they are too expensive or matter too much, but I thought I'd ask in case there's something I should know.

There is nothing much to really know. Buy whatever you like the look of.

Buying some straplocks is a good idea though. Google them if you don't know what they are.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I appreciate that, but its unrealistic to expect a mass-produced guitar to be completely flawless in every conceivable way. The imperfections you have found are not a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things. I doubt that with use, you'll even remember where those flaws once were, because they'll be covered up with the other flaws that you yourself created just by using it.

However, I am correct in assuming that strumming the E string should not result in a grinding type of sound. When I strum it, sometimes it sounds like metal being ground. The sound goes in and out. I may be wrong, but is this fret buzz? How do I go about fixing this? Or could it be because I'm a total noob? It actually seems to sometimes happen with a couple of the other strings as well.
Quote by AtomicFire7
However, I am correct in assuming that strumming the E string should not result in a grinding type of sound. When I strum it, sometimes it sounds like metal being ground. The sound goes in and out. I may be wrong, but is this fret buzz? How do I go about fixing this? Or could it be because I'm a total noob? It actually seems to sometimes happen with a couple of the other strings as well.

Yes, it is fret buzz.

This video covers the most common causes of fret buzz quite well. I'd recommend watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-sMpZumuMI

In your case, the low E (or the 6th string) is buzzing when open. It could be due to the nut slot being too low, the action of the guitar being too low, the neck relief not being ideal (these are topics covered in the video) or it could simply be that you're picking the string too hard.

How much fret buzz is too much is really down to the player, because everyone plays guitar differently, and as such the guitar ideally should be set up to suit the style of the player. Which is why it is important to know how to set up your own guitar, so that you can set the guitar up however you want it to. It also means that you don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on getting someone else to set up the guitar for you, just to find that you hate how they've set it up anyway.

In my mind, a little bit of fret buzz is acceptable if it cannot be heard through the amp.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
if you're really going to have a hard time getting over it then send it back. It sounds like it's a very big investment for you and you want it to be perfect. It will never be perfect perfect, but it can be more perfect than that.
Chances are if these things are bugging you now, they will always sit in the back of your mind if you keep the guitar. You seem like you aren't happy with it(justifiably), send it back and get another or get your money back.

Most music stores will match online prices, and its a fairly popular guitar, so you should be able to find one quickly. They might even throw in a set up or give you a deal on one.

Either way you'll be happier. Nice guitar to learn on BTW
Quote by ghobby
Chances are if these things are bugging you now, they will always sit in the back of your mind if you keep the guitar. You seem like you aren't happy with it(justifiably), send it back and get another or get your money back.

Most music stores will match online prices, and its a fairly popular guitar, so you should be able to find one quickly. They might even throw in a set up or give you a deal on one.

Either way you'll be happier. Nice guitar to learn on BTW

Thanks. I'm just struggling with the fact it's my spring break and I wanted to dedicate it to begin learning guitar. I'm not as bothered as much by the blemishes the more I think about it. I was just looking at it so closely trying to find them. Right now I just want to make sure everything actually important, like playability and sound wise, is all correct.

Since this is obviously my first guitar and I know diddly squat so far, would it be worth it just to take it into a local shop and have them inspect it? Would they charge just for taking a look at it?
Quote by AtomicFire7
Thanks. I'm just struggling with the fact it's my spring break and I wanted to dedicate it to begin learning guitar. I'm not as bothered as much by the blemishes the more I think about it. I was just looking at it so closely trying to find them. Right now I just want to make sure everything actually important, like playability and sound wise, is all correct.

Since this is obviously my first guitar and I know diddly squat so far, would it be worth it just to take it into a local shop and have them inspect it? Would they charge just for taking a look at it?

I'd send it back if it were me. The guitars I've bought online have been flawless so far. If I buy something brand new, and it's going to get messed up... I should be the one who does it, not someone else.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
I'd send it back if it were me. The guitars I've bought online have been flawless so far. If I buy something brand new, and it's going to get messed up... I should be the one who does it, not someone else.

I'm actually finding more as I go along, but my main concern is the fret buzz and now I'm having trouble hooking it up to the amp. I plugged in the amp, made sure it was on and all ready to go, hooked it up to the guitar, turned the volume up a bit, gave it some strums, and nothing happened. I checked the battery compartment to make sure there was a 9V in there and there was. I guess I suspect the cable because it was my brother's and he left it here when he moved out. It's pretty old, I'm not sure how old, but definitely at least 10-20 years old. The cable is most likely the problem, right?

Anyways, with all these problems I do think I am going to end up sending it back now. I really like the guitar though and want to get the same one back, but now I've seen Carvin customizable guitars that can be bought directly from the manufacturer. This is very appealing because it cuts cost and also they have an explorer-like model.
Like others have said TC, the imperfections are normal and will happen (unless you don't touch the guitar at all and just let $700+ of money just sit there). No guitar will be perfect. If the guitar came in with a dent, then I'd turn it back, but I see no point in returning it back how it is. In the next year or two you will get many more imperfections just by playing it. You should worry about playing it instead of how perfect it should be. Don't waste your spring break pondering on the thought of returning it back because the one you received sucks. It'll take 2+ weeks to get the new one, and most likely, when you return to school, you won't have the time you had during spring break to practice, so take advantage of that now. It seems to me that you're a perfectionist. Trust me, if you're a perfectionist you will hate picking up your guitar and playing it because of the thought of damaging it or causing imperfections to it. No guitar will not have a scratch after a year of playing, trust me. return the guitar back if you'd like, but I guarantee you're bound to get a scratch on it in the first three months of playing it constantly. Just enjoy your new instrument and rock on!
Quote by tybacca60
Considering you bought it for 700$,there was something that had to knock it down from 899.

+1

Quote by AtomicFire7
Okay, thanks. I'm sorry, I'm a noob and this is my first guitar

.....wat?......
Would it be smart to return the EC-1000 and go for a Gibson Les Paul 2013 for $599 + tax with free shipping? It also includes the hardshell case. So it's about $50 less than I paid for the EC-1000.
i don't see anything really finish wrong but that fret is a little odd.

its not worth the trouble of returning it it was probably discounted for something. maybe that reason. who knows. i would ditch it for a gibson personally but i don't like LTDs as much. i have owned a EC400 EC401 ad a EC1000 they weren't my thing, but lots of other people like them. but

IMO you return it they are going to probably not going to say a ton and may send you the same one back and say nothing is wrong.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by AtomicFire7
Would it be smart to return the EC-1000 and go for a Gibson Les Paul 2013 for $599 + tax with free shipping? It also includes the hardshell case. So it's about $50 less than I paid for the EC-1000.

Nobody can really tell you if that is a good idea or not. It's up to you to make that decision yourself by playing the guitar before buying it.

Otherwise you risk running into the same predicament you're already in.
Quote by AtomicFire7

This is how I would approach a guitar imo.

Finish imperfections so tiny are not something that would bother me. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't be bothered with them, I just find it a bit irrational to be so caught up in having a guitar be completely flawless when imperfections in the finish will happen with playing anyway. If I wanted the imperfections to be my own doing, I'd put an imperfection over the imperfection so that the imperfection becomes mine.

No. They probably will charge you and they'll only tell you what you already know.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 3, 2014,
have you ever looked at the guitars on the sales floor at a guitar store? they all have what i call being 'played' most of them aren't nearly as pristine as yours.

your guitar looks better than the last ten guitars i played yesterday. from $800 to $2600. they can't sell what can't be demoed. if you want usually the don't have a problem getting you a 'brand new' guitar in box warehouse or shipped in.

you got it discounted. that could be why if was up on the wall. or a demo.

IMO deal with it. if it was full retail, then maybe there could be an issue.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Y'all white boys take this shit too seriously

When I got my Carvin, the point on the headstock had a sliver missing. Got damaged during transport...did I bitch at Carvin? no. Did I bitch at UPS? No. Why, because when I plugged that bitch in, it derailed every other guitar I had. By the way, mine was "Custom" and it took 2 months to get to my house. I look at it now and its so insignificant that I actually have to look to see where its damaged.

OP, I'm gonna say this in the nicest way possible...shut up and deal with it
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds