How can I use with my peavey vypyr?

Ive got reaper and I can record into it which is cool, but to play back I have to switch my headphones from the amp to my comp.. and then layering is tricky.

can it work so that if I have the 2i2 I can use that as a headphone amp and hear what im playing into the comp through the vypyr? i assume there would be some latency issues then no? how can I go about this better

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
If you have an interface you're unlikely to want to use your Vyper, the amp sims available on PC's are far superior.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
hmm really

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Quote by glenthemann
How can I use with my peavey vypyr?
The question here is not how you would do it, but why would you wanna do it.

A 2i2 will work as a headphones amp, but you know, your amp is not a pair of cans.
Amps have an input impedance of around 500kOhm, 1MOhm if it's good.
Headphones with a high impedance input are around 250Ohm.
And that's high - the nearest pair of headphones I can get my hands on (literally get my hands on, they're at 20cm from them) have a 32Ohm input impedance.
So it won't sound good.
There'll be lotsa noise and similar stuff.

If you don't want to keep switching between headphones you could do two things.
1. you use the input monitoring on reaper so you hear your amp when recording while keeping your headphones plugged into your computer
2. you read the amp sims sticky and you stick to amp sims.

Though unless you can get a dry clean sound into your computer with your amp, that would act as an interface, you're better off sticking to the first solution.
If you get an interface on the other hand, you may want to try amp sims.

It's not like they will plain sound better than your vypyr, though the good ones will most likely do if you know how to use them.
Guitar rig, amplitube, overloud and pod farm aren't really the good ones, so look into softube stuff, brainworx stuff and LePou stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
"A 2i2 will work as a headphones amp, but you know, your amp is not a pair of cans.
Amps have an input impedance of around 500kOhm, 1MOhm if it's good.
Headphones with a high impedance input are around 250Ohm.
And that's high - the nearest pair of headphones I can get my hands on (literally get my hands on, they're at 20cm from them) have a 32Ohm input impedance.
So it won't sound good.
There'll be lotsa noise and similar stuff."

This is where you totally lost me.

I have a pair of HD280s.. they sound fine plugged into my amp and I'm not sure why they wouldn't sound fine plugged into the 2i2 with it set in my software as the audio out.

The vypyr has its own audio interface built in which I connect to my pc by usb.. you're saying that if I use the vypyr as my audio in and set the audio out (with headphones connected) to the 2i2 that I'll have bad noise?

I hadn't really even considered modelling software, but have had a look around since the first post and I suppose that would be a better option for me than even using the vypyr as it acts up a lot on me (I wasnt even able to flash new firmware..) sadly.

I heard good things about guitar rig but you're telling me its junk? hmm.

Either way, I've settled on getting the 2i4 over the 2i2 (not that that makes a difference). Just have to finish diagnosing some pc issues and I should be good to go then.

I do have a question about the direct monitoring aspect. As I understand there will be a latency if not direct monitoring, but with the direct I would just be hearing the clean unplugged guitar if patched directly into the interface right?

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Yup, that's when you could monitor through your Vyper if you wanted and then screw around with VST tone's after.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^ though can you disengage the vypyr's preamp?
Because if you can't, you'll get a better sound from a dry signal, so going into your interface directly.

You would get latency from monitoring stuff you're processing, but even my 2007 macbook doesn't have noticeable latency.
The resolution of the human ear is about 100 info per second, so unless you have a latency over 1/100 of a second (which is unlikely unless you have a really old computer) you'll not notice the difference.

What I was trying to say is that because of the difference in guitar amps and headphones, if you connect the scarlett's output to the amp's input you'll not get anything good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
What I was trying to say is that because of the difference in guitar amps and headphones, if you connect the scarlett's output to the amp's input you'll not get anything good.

Oh! Well, that would be silly. Sorry you got that impression from me heh.

As it turns out at the moment I need a new motherboard and cpu, all my trouble shooting has led to needing a replacement so my funds are going to that right now

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Quote by glenthemann
Oh! Well, that would be silly. Sorry you got that impression from me heh.

As it turns out at the moment I need a new motherboard and cpu, all my trouble shooting has led to needing a replacement so my funds are going to that right now

Bit of advice. Once you actually get funds for an interface, buy a 2i4. It'll be a better quality signal.
yeah already decided on that actually. its a no brainer

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Have you checked the mackie onyx blackjack though?
The converson is just about the same, but the pre's are far better in my opinion.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't use an interface. I use AISO4ALL .6ms on the TH2 2.2ms for reaper.
That's on a 1 gig cpu with 2gig ram. My old back up set up.
CPU is around 4%-20% depending how many plugin on different track I run.
I don't really need to hear all the tracks when I record.
I simply trun the buffering up during final mixing. Latency isn't an issue then.
Ive ran without an interface for years...nothing blew up yet.lol
I know what I say in the sticky..but some of it is out dated.

What I do use is a stereo jack adaptor into the external mic jack that's stereo.
2 input signals are always better than 1 . It's night and day.
Whatever vst I use sounds great like they should.
I know there's plenty of impulse out there. Stock or freebies. There's just too many
Plus it saves me the trouble of having to click left channel.lol
I like recording in stereo...don't you? Pan it to whatever I want.
The marshall jmc800 sounds just like a real marshall on my set up.

The trick is to TRUN OFF the MIC BOOST in windows or your soundcard menu.
Right click on the speaker logo. Recording device then level.
You can still leave the mic level at 80. Dry clean strong signals without static noise.
The noise gate level on all my vst suit are @ 1 at most. I get plenty of sustain and sweet
tones.

The other trick I use is...I use some left over RCA cords from my old mixer board into a reel
to reel. The cable is shielded. it reduces static noise. Mono into the guitar. Stereo into the PC.

I don't hear any hizz or hummmm from any of my amps or whatever I plug into.

You might also look into the output options for individual track.
I know that options comes up if you pull down on the menu or extend the tracks menu.
I cant remember exactly in reaper. I do know all the daw have that option.
Quote by BleedNFingerS
I don't use an interface.

Oh wow... I'm going to have fun with this.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
I use AISO4ALL .6ms on the TH2 2.2ms for reaper.

I doubt it, I've only ever seen those kinds of latency on quality interfaces (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, etc. Firewire interfaces)

Quote by BleedNFingerS
That's on a 1 gig cpu with 2gig ram. My old back up set up.

Useless specs. Also as long as you don't run out of RAM then it hardly matters at all, and unless you're using some pretty heavy stuff tracking isn't particularly CPU intensive. Rendering is, but not tracking.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
CPU is around 4%-20% depending how many plugin on different track I run.

see above.
Quote by BleedNFingerS
I don't really need to hear all the tracks when I record.

I hope you're hearing a metronome then, otherwise all it's gonna be is noise.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
I simply trun the buffering up during final mixing. Latency isn't an issue then.
This is actually correct! good boy (or girl, or undisclosed, I don't discriminate).

Quote by BleedNFingerS
Ive ran without an interface for years...nothing blew up yet.lol

There's a first time for everything, often just after you say "hasn't happened yet".

Quote by BleedNFingerS
I know what I say in the sticky..but some of it is out dated.

You've never posted in the sticky. As for outdated it's approximately 1 year old. The only things I'd say could use an update is there's been a few people using the Steinberg CI-1 on here now, so it might be a contender to replace the Toneport GX as our "Budget" interface.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
What I do use is a stereo jack adaptor into the external mic jack that's stereo.

It's unlikely stereo. If you've got a quality card it might take TRS as a balanced input but it's still mono.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
2 input signals are always better than 1 . It's night and day.
No, no it's really not. If you're plugging a guitar into it then it's a mono source anyway. The pin that detects the right side (the ring on a TRS) is only getting a ground signal anyway, because it's mono. Recording a mono signal into a stereo file gives you two identical tracks panned hard left and right approximately 3 dB quieter than a straight mono signal would be, because when you play them both together through stereo speakers the doubled tracks make it ~3dB louder.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
Whatever vst I use sounds great like they should.

What if you use a vst that's supposed to sound crap (bitcrusher if overused, "Crazy Ivan")

Quote by BleedNFingerS
I know there's plenty of impulse out there. Stock or freebies. There's just too many

Yes there is, not entirely sure what your point is but you're correct.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
Plus it saves me the trouble of having to click left channel.lol
I like recording in stereo...don't you? Pan it to whatever I want.

You can pan mono tracks too, it's no different to panning a stereo track.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
The marshall jmc800 sounds just like a real marshall on my set up.

Which one? there's more than one JCM800 simulator around.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
The trick is to TRUN OFF the MIC BOOST in windows or your soundcard menu.

That will help stop clipping, but won't do anything to the impedance mismatch or general poor quality of inbuilt soundcards.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
Right click on the speaker logo. Recording device then level.
You can still leave the mic level at 80.

Depending on how hot the signal is these instructions are more or less correct for how to turn off the mic boost.
Quote by BleedNFingerS
Dry clean strong signals without static noise.

No noise? please, there's no such thing as an analogue signal without noise.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
The noise gate level on all my vst suit are @ 1 at most. I get plenty of sustain and sweet tones.

1 out of what? what's the attack, release, floor, blend, hysteresis settings?

Quote by BleedNFingerS
The other trick I use is...I use some left over RCA cords from my old mixer board into a reel
to reel. The cable is shielded. it reduces static noise. Mono into the guitar. Stereo into the PC.

And you've added all the noise of a reel to reel system instead... Also again with the mono signal over stereo is the same as a mono signal!

Quote by BleedNFingerS
I don't hear any hizz or hummmm from any of my amps or whatever I plug into.

No matter how many "m"'s you put in the word hum it's still there, that's the way analogue electronics are.

Quote by BleedNFingerS
You might also look into the output options for individual track.
I know that options comes up if you pull down on the menu or extend the tracks menu.
I cant remember exactly in reaper. I do know all the daw have that option.

And do what with it exactly? send it to a different device? maybe you're sending it to dummy audio which is why your horrible setup 'works', because you can't hear dummy audio.

TL;DR please please please ignore that
^ well I kinda have something to say about that...
Quote by chatterbox272

I doubt it, I've only ever seen those kinds of latency on quality interfaces (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, etc. Firewire interfaces)
It's likely for him to get so low latency, he's using a PCI or PCIe interface.
Plus, the latency hardly depends on the quality of the audio interface you're using, it's more a data interface deal, so PCIe is better than usb or firewire or whatever.
Quote by chatterbox272
There's a first time for everything, often just after you say "hasn't happened yet".
Come ****in' on, this is pure disinformation, nothing will blow up in this scenario, ever. contender to replace the Toneport GX as our "Budget" interface.
Quote by chatterbox272
No noise? please, there's no such thing as an analogue signal without noise.
As much as you're right, the thing works like rulers.
There are no perfect centimeters on rulers, but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between an actual centimeter and a centimeter + 1/100th of a centimeter.
The noise might just be so low it's undetectable.
Quote by chatterbox272
And you've added all the noise of a reel to reel system instead... Also again with the mono signal over stereo is the same as a mono signal!
Not if the cable is really good.
The real error here is that guitars don't output unbalanced signal, so the quality of the cable will make a difference, but a balanced cable will sound exactly the same as an unbalanced one in the same conditions.
Quote by chatterbox272
And do what with it exactly? send it to a different device? maybe you're sending it to dummy audio which is why your horrible setup 'works', because you can't hear dummy audio.
Come on don't be so negative, I've heard worst setup work just fine.

So, since you made us all curious BleedNFingerS, would you mind posting a clip of some audio recorded that way?
So we can properly judge how the thing does really sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

So, since you made us all curious BleedNFingerS, would you mind posting a clip of some audio recorded that way?
So we can properly judge how the thing does really sound.

As I'm sure you've noticed, that won't be happening any time soon. Does anyone actually know why he was suddenly banned like that? Multi, maybe?