Page 1 of 2
gee i'm so glad you posted this otherwise i would have no idea how i would spend the next NINE hours of my life

Was kind of hoping this would be about black holes.

Still have no idea if it is or isn't, because 9 bloody hours mate.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
George K. Wilson the narrator is actually a robot right? it's a sort of meta-joke?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Whoever is willing to spend 9 hours to watch this video and post what it's about will automatically be named a hero of UG.
It's pretty sweet, it's just about how humans and computers will (WILL, it is inevitable) become one in the same in about 50 years. It starts off with statistics of technological advancement and human social advancement etc. and builds from there.
Last edited by macashmack at Apr 2, 2014,
I'd rather read Isaac Asimov
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I just downloaded the pdf and read the prologue. Looks good so far, I guess I'll check back in once I've read it. I don't know if I'll read it all in one sitting or not, so I have no idea when that'll be
Quote by WaterGod
Whoever is willing to spend 9 hours to watch this video and post what it's about will automatically be named a hero of UG.

There is a movie that is essentially about this book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsg-__K_IAI

Quote by summary for wiki
Raymond Kurzweil, noted inventor and futurist, is a man who refuses to accept the inevitability of physical death. He proposes that the Law of Accelerating Returns—the exponential increase in the growth of information technology—will result in a "singularity", a point where humanity and machines will merge, allowing one to transcend biological mortality: advances in genetics will provide the knowledge to reprogram biology, eliminate disease and stop the aging process; nanotechnology will keep humans healthy from the inside using robotic red blood cells and provide a human-computer interface within the brain; robotics, or artificial intelligence, will make superhuman intelligence possible, including the ability to back up the mind.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Apr 2, 2014,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I just downloaded the pdf and read the prologue. Looks good so far, I guess I'll check back in once I've read it. I don't know if I'll read it all in one sitting or not, so I have no idea when that'll be

Ugh, I've read a little over a chapter and I'm getting sick of the tone of his writing style. There are some really interesting ideas in there, but this book reads like an evangelist or something and makes it really irritating. My impression of the book so far:

I will state this fact. This is what's going to happen. Then, this will happen. This is a thing. This thing happened this many years ago.

These are all things that will happen:

Thing 1 will happen
Thing 2 will happen
Thing 3 will happen

But wait, you have objections? Your objections are understandable, but if you think about it we can cram anything you want into this perfect model.
I'm legitimately interested, but I don't know. Audio books have never been my thing, maybe I'll check out the pdf.
Quote by WaterGod

challenge accepted!!

seriously though.. i might watch it (but that voice..)
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by MinterMan22
gee i'm so glad you posted this otherwise i would have no idea how i would spend the next NINE hours of my life

Thank god for this post...otherwise something.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Macashmack? more like Macacunt, amirite?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
So basically I could start playing this, go to sleep, wake up and it'd still be playing.

Why do people like audio books? Unless you're driving, and I hope you're not while searching on Youtube, why the hell would you want this? Just read it. We have phones that can do this.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
So basically I could start playing this, go to sleep, wake up and it'd still be playing.

Why do people like audio books? Unless you're driving, and I hope you're not while searching on Youtube, why the hell would you want this? Just read it. We have phones that can do this.

It basically requires less effort if you're too lazy to read and also if you're blind. But usually when I listen to an audio recording of something being read I usually just tune it out half way through and then have no idea what's going on.
I'll just wait for Singularity to arrive and down load it in 9 nanoseconds.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm presenting at a conference this May called 'Gender, Bodies, and Technology' and there is a class attached to it that I have been sitting in on. We talk a lot about the singularity. If you want any cool scholarly articles, let me know
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I'm presenting at a conference this May called 'Gender, Bodies, and Technology' and there is a class attached to it that I have been sitting in on. We talk a lot about the singularity. If you want any cool scholarly articles, let me know

I want cool scholarly articles, please
This is way too long, and I thought this gif was long.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
I hate when people use the word "inevitable" because they're almost always using it incorrectly / flat out wrong.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by AeroRocker
I hate when people use the word "inevitable" because they're almost always using it incorrectly / flat out wrong.

yea i literally see it everywhere

Quote by AeroRocker

Like anything that deals in absolutes, misuse is inevitable.

Literally.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Like anything that deals in absolutes, misuse is inevitable.

Literally.

This post was absolutely inevitable.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by macashmack
This isn't science fiction though

you don't know that yet... that's for time to decide
Atoms are just microscopic solar systems.

Prove me wrong.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by macashmack
This isn't science fiction though

Yes, it is. It's science fact based speculative fiction, but fiction nonetheless because it presumes to tell the future.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Malchius
The universe is on the back of a giant space turtle.

Prove me wrong.

nice try, hinduism
Quote by Jackal58
This post was absolutely inevitable.

Literally
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Page 1 of 2