Sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where else to put it.

So, I just got my Shure SM57, but I don't have any audio editing software yet. I'm looking more along the lines of free. It has to be able to have multiple tracks and editing tools. So, what do you guys think is the best free audio editing software out there?
The trial period for Reaper doesn't expire, it just annoys you to buy it for 5 seconds when you first start it up. It will do what you want. My only complaint with it is the lack of a proper drum map but you can live without that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Reaper is the usual recommendation over in the Recordings forum.

You said about an SM57, but do you have any actual recording hardware yet? Over in Recordings we have a sticky with recommendations for the different options you have when you're getting started with recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Can someone post the link to the recordings forum? Also, this might be part of the hardware you were talking about, so I need an XLR to 1/8 adapter, since I'll be recording the mic on my desktop computer. Does anyone know one that I could get? It'll need to a female one, since my mic's a male (it sounds weird but everywhere I've looked that's how they define various cords).
^ that's how connectors are defined in every field

Also, the hardware he was talking about is an audio interface, which will sound better than that method you're thinking of using.
I mean, both will work, but it will sound a lot better through a decent audio interface.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Here you are, this is the recording forum.
Now go and read the interfaces sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Domguy99
Can someone post the link to the recordings forum? Also, this might be part of the hardware you were talking about, so I need an XLR to 1/8 adapter, since I'll be recording the mic on my desktop computer. Does anyone know one that I could get? It'll need to a female one, since my mic's a male (it sounds weird but everywhere I've looked that's how they define various cords).

No you don't. Seriously. Unless you want to throw it at someone.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Domguy99
...so I need an XLR to 1/8 adapter...

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

This is an affordable, portable, high-quality interface that will be MUCH better than running direct into your computers soundcard.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

This is an affordable, portable, high-quality interface that will be MUCH better than running direct into your computers soundcard.

Do I just plug the XLR in there and then plug the interface in my computer?
Quote by Domguy99
Do I just plug the XLR in there and then plug the interface in my computer?

Yep. Plus it's USB bus powered, so it doesn't take up any space on your wall or power strip.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter