Especially for the song "Upside Down", how do you mute the strings? I'm a beginner so if you could help me, that would be awesome.
Can you be more specific? I've heard this song only once or twice many years ago and I don't know what part you're talking about?
The "chicka-chicka" sound the guitar makes when he strums. I don't know what it's called but I can't seem to get it down. The only song I can do it for is "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
Quote by cb96
The "chicka-chicka" sound the guitar makes when he strums. I don't know what it's called but I can't seem to get it down. The only song I can do it for is "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

If i'm understanding correctly what you mean..

Pretty sure he's just playing barre chords, then lifting his fingers slightly off the strings which in effect mutes them all.
It's easiest to explain with just an open chord. Strum all the open strings then lightly cover the strings with your picking hand in a similar fashion that you would do when playing natural harmonics, just in not such a precise and delicate manner. This is a very common technique in acoustic playing.
It's hard for me to explain this because I don't know if there's an actual name for the technique and it's so much easier to show someone in person. It's very very easy though.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 3, 2014,
Yeah, my only problem is figuring out his strumming pattern with the muting. This is probably a stupid question but it's something I've been trying to figure out now for awhile. This is my first song that's not DDUUDU or DUUUDU etc.
It is simply left-hand muting while strumming (basically, just letting off pressure on the chord you're on, so the notes don't ring out clearly). Maybe a little right handed palm muting as well, but I doubt it. It is a very common and basic technique, used by countless musicians. Hendrix probably popularized it more than anyone...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood