Hi. I got a Squier Strat(affinity series) which is old, but it´s still in pefect conditions. I also have a fender frontman which I use to think that was broken because it's always making this buzz, annoying sound. This week I got a brand new Roland amp, a Cube 40-GX. I tested the amp on the store with my own guitar and guitar cable and the amp had no buzz or any other annoying sounds, actually it sounded beautiful. Then, I tested the amp on my house and it sounded horrible: all the buzz is back. Also, the buzz turns low when I touch a metal part from my guitar. Also the buzz tends to low down when I select the neck/brige position or the lead/middle position. I read that it may be a bad ground conexion from my house, but I plugged and amp in every posible outlet, and the problem persist.

What is the problem and how can i solve it?
You have electrical issues in your house causing the buzz to be picked up by your guitar.

Two choices:
1. Find the wiring or lighting problem and resolve it. (bad fluorescent fixture?)
2. Use a guitar with humbucker pickups.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's the earth connection to the bridge of the guitar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's the earth connection to the bridge of the guitar.

This.

Open up the back cavity plate and check for a wire that should be sticking out near the claw and the springs. If it's disconnected, that's your issue. Either take it to a shop to have it wired back or do it yourself with a bit of solder and a soldering iron.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
This.

Open up the back cavity plate and check for a wire that should be sticking out near the claw and the springs. If it's disconnected, that's your issue. Either take it to a shop to have it wired back or do it yourself with a bit of solder and a soldering iron.

I just check it, and the cable seems fine; I resolder it but the problem pesist.

Please Help!
Quote by Cajundaddy
You have electrical issues in your house causing the buzz to be picked up by your guitar.

Two choices:
1. Find the wiring or lighting problem and resolve it. (bad fluorescent fixture?)
2. Use a guitar with humbucker pickups.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how using hambuker pickups could solve my problem?
See post #2

Process of elimination:

You have already tested the guitar and amp together at the store- no buzz. Your guitar and amp are fine. Somewhere in your house there is an electrical problem: failing florescent light ballast, failing fridge compressor, mis-wired outlet etc that is causing electromagnetic interference (AC hum). Find the problem in your house and fix it. Unplug all suspected appliances and re-test your guitar. When the hum stops, you found the problem. I've had this problem many times on stages with cheap lighting dimmers. Sometimes we can shut off the dimmers, sometimes a humbucker guitar is the only solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

You can confirm this by taking your guitar and amp to a friends house and test it again. No hum there? It's not your guitar or amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
See post #2

Process of elimination:

You have already tested the guitar and amp together at the store- no buzz. Your guitar and amp are fine. Somewhere in your house there is an electrical problem: failing florescent light ballast, failing fridge compressor, mis-wired outlet etc that is causing electromagnetic interference (AC hum). Find the problem in your house and fix it. Unplug all suspected appliances and re-test your guitar. When the hum stops, you found the problem. I've had this problem many times on stages with cheap lighting dimmers. Sometimes we can shut off the dimmers, sometimes a humbucker guitar is the only solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

You can confirm this by taking your guitar and amp to a friends house and test it again. No hum there? It's not your guitar or amp.

Two days ago, my dad told me that our house is so old that's there is no ground conexion. How can I solve that?
Quote by tanrambo
Two days ago, my dad told me that our house is so old that's there is no ground conexion. How can I solve that?

Re-wire the entire house
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tanrambo

You can't, but it would be nice if your dad had a professional fix the wiring in the house for the sake of safety.

That's almost certainly your problem, but aside from that, just be sure you're not playing near fluorescent lights, your laptop, etc.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Have you actually put a meter on the earth wire to see if it has actual connectivity rather than just doing a visual inspection? It may be broken where you can't see it.
Actually measure the resistance between the back of the pots and the bridge. That's the only way to know if it's intact.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification