So, I hear these are things are some of the best guitars. Granted, it's not a custom shop, but it is still 50% off of a $1200 price tag and free shipping. I was about to return my EC-1000 which I paid $700 for, and this is a freaking gibson for less brand new. Should I just buy this instead of getting a replacement EC-1000?
Guitar Center has the Ebony with gold hardware and the phelam blue marked down to $599 with free shipping. The ebony with chrome and the wine red are $1400 each.
Fact is Gibson quality just isn't what it used to be, they are very hit and miss. If you can't play on it and check it out before you buy it then dont, because they are all different, of course you could take the gamble and get a good one but I dunno man... all I know is I have a Gibson LP Traditional made 2008-2009 and although I love it the craftsman ship is a little iffy in some places and I've had a few problems with it.
Same here, my 93 studio is great, the 2014 Standard.... it has a few issues fit and finish wise from the factory. The EC-1000T I have is actually a better feeling guitar than both.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
A couple of days ago i played some 2013/14 Standards. I think i tried 4 different guitars before i found one that was just killer. So you have to try them out first!
I think you should worry about learning to play the guitar more
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I think you should worry about learning to play the guitar more

This, you posted about 4 days ago that you don't even know how to play a single note. Seriously go and start learning how to play because having the best gear in the world won't mean anything if you can't play. The EC-1000 is a great guitar and infinitely better than what 99% of beginners start out with. You also said you like Metallica so keep the LTD, perfect for that anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Gibson Les Pauls are a crapshoot, it could be junk. Like others have said, you're going to want to play it before you buy it. The LTD's are more consistent with having better quality from the factory.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Dude, if you are just learning to play, quit spending $$$ on $500+ guitars. I'd suggest:

- Epiphone Dot Studio semihollow (used for under $200)
- Vox AC4C1 all tube amp ($250 or so)

The semi-hollow is decent quality (I've had mine 2 years with nary a complaint) and can cover so much tonal variety from acoustic, to jazzy, to bluesy, to hard rock, distortions whatever. If was learning and could have just one guitar, I'd choose semi-hollow for versatility. THEN when I got better and had some really pull to a certain genre or tone or guitar, I'd fork out more for the "right" guitar. I was playing over 2 years when I stepped up to $1400 PRS, and could really appreciate the difference in tones I was able to get. Till your ear has some more training, this stuff will probably be lost on you. Another great thing is, when I was learning on my Dot Studio, I could just pick it up and play unplugged, and it still sounded pretty good (soft, but okay), which really helped me feel like practicing because you are just not going to practice as much if you always have to hook up to cable & amp. In fact, I'm keeping my Dot Studio even though I have the much more expensive PRS because it fills a particular niche, in terms of covering more jazzy, bluesy tones, and the ability to pick it up & play casually without plugging in when I just want to noodle around, practice scales or whatever.

Right now, you want something you can learn technique on, and makes it was easy as possible to pick up & play as much as possible. And a $700 guitar through a practice amp will still sound like crap tonally, so be sure you are spending enough for a decent amp. I'm a fan of all tube natural sounds, but I guess if you want to go for modeling type amp with fx and stuff, you could go that way (though I think you run the risk of giving yourself too many options, too much to learn, to fiddle with, etc.)

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
There’s a reason Gibson dealers are still trying to dump the 2013 Studio models almost five months after they started discounting them. Your LTD is probably built better than a Les Paul studio. Unless you’re unhappy with the LTD there’s no reason to swap it for a guitar that may need nut and fret work.
Personally I say if you can afford to buy it then why "burden" yourself with $200 guitars? I'd rather get something that makes you want to pick it up and play, not something that is cheap but horrible to play.

But buying a Gibson Les Paul you need to try them all, their quality control vary drastically and you need to try them all before buying it. Look out for things like the fret board and its edges, is it sharp. Look out for action (how high the strings are to the frets), ask the shop to adjust them to something fairly low so it is easier to play and try it. Put a strap on and wear it and is it too heavy?

And ask the guy in the store to demonstrate it for you and show you how it can sound since you can't play music yet and do you like that sound? (granted the amp makes a difference) So you will know what is achievable with that set up.

Personally I would rather get something like a PRS 245 single cut, even the Korean made one, basically a Les Paul copy. You would be surprise how nice it is.
Guitar Center has the LP Standard in Desert burst for 1299.00 oh it's the 2013
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul 60s tribute
Gibson Les Paul jr.
Epiphone Les paul gold top
Fender strat mim.
Fender Tele. mim
PRS SE245
Quote by dazza027
Were the 2013's THAT bad???

I'm guessing they were. My jaw dropped at this price because of the name. I had totally forgot about my needs and thinking back on it now, I can't believe I even considered buying this. They sold out really fast though. I ordered one, but cancelled it and I believe many of them were just floor models.
That makes sense. If I'm honest about my buying preferences, I don't really mind finish imperfections (reasonable ones) because no matter how much you try, dings and scrapes will and do happen so it inevitable. As long as they are a good fit and sound nice then to me all a scratch or ding means is an opportunity to haggle the price down further. Its almost beneficial in some ways.
Looks like a misprint. If you open the page (I assume we landed on the same one) you'll see that the cart price is 2600. You can't actually check out with the Standard at 1300. If you really found a Standard for 1300 new you should snap it up immediately. I suspect that's not the case, though. I think you just didn't look closely enough and got excited over a misprint. I don't think they sold out, (they're still listed in stock) I think someone screwed up and typed the wrong price. Nobody is actually selling a Standard for those prices.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2013-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar-H90726-i3272835.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CIGTzd7xx70CFe5aMgodWzsAoA&kwid=productads-plaid^65684621442-sku^108571910@ADL1P@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27120681882
Quote by Roc8995
Looks like a misprint. If you open the page (I assume we landed on the same one) you'll see that the cart price is 2600. You can't actually check out with the Standard at 1300. If you really found a Standard for 1300 new you should snap it up immediately. I suspect that's not the case, though. I think you just didn't look closely enough and got excited over a misprint. I don't think they sold out, (they're still listed in stock) I think someone screwed up and typed the wrong price. Nobody is actually selling a Standard for those prices.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2013-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar-H90726-i3272835.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CIGTzd7xx70CFe5aMgodWzsAoA&kwid=productads-plaid^65684621442-sku^108571910@ADL1P@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27120681882

It was only for the ebony with gold hardware and phelam blue versions. Also, the sale ended in about 24 hours or so.

EDIT- I believe it was also for a 2013 studio, not a standard model.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/117508/guitar-center---gibson-2013-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar
Last edited by AtomicFire7 at Apr 4, 2014,
Quote by Roc8995

Correct. Damnit ... was so ready.
The 2013 Gibson ranges are generally considered to be a high point for them in recent years.

People went mad for them at MLP and still talk very highly of them through the whole range. Maybe this was partly due to the laminated fretboard fiasco of 2012 which left a lot of people pissed off with Gibson. But they still produced a lot of excellent guitars, my R9 included.

As always, the minority of cases have been sensationalised into gospel. The truth is that Gibson had a poor run in the 80's-90's but generally have a much lower return rate than they used to, and it's mostly finish issues which are related to and unavoidable due to nitro. And for the record, all my 6 guitars but one are nitro and all but one of those have come with issues with the finish.

The one without finish issues is the R9. Go figure!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Ippon
Correct. Damnit ... was so ready.

They ran out of stock so quickly that very, very few orders were fulfilled. If you read the comments on the slickdeals page, only like 1 or 2 people said their order was confirmed. Many of them said that GC was offering them the 2014 model for the same price or at least at a discounted price. They probably would've done the same for me if I hadn't manually cancelled my order. However, I wouldn't be interested.
Quote by AtomicFire7
It was only for the ebony with gold hardware and phelam blue versions. Also, the sale ended in about 24 hours or so.

EDIT- I believe it was also for a 2013 studio, not a standard model.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/117508/guitar-center---gibson-2013-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar

Yeah, the Standard doesn't come in those color combinations, and 1300 is a normal price for a Studio. You're confusing your models.

Somebody at GC messed up that price and then they had to honor it for the few people that got in while it was up. They can't have run out of 2013 Standards, they're still listed as in stock and obviously they're not getting any more 2013s. There's no way that sale was on purpose, that's a completely looney price for a new Standard.
If you're new to playing, maybe using what you have for a bit is a wise choice.

It's no biggie, you can get used Gibsons in as new condition for that price and not lose any money if you decide to sell it on.

[EDI] Someone's gonna get in shit for that cockup!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 4, 2014,
That's happened more than once, I seem to remember it was with MF online? I forget what piece of gear it was but someone posted it on the forums and a whole bunch of people ordered at like 70% off before they fixed it. Seems like sometimes they just copy/paste the product page from a similar one and sometimes leave the old price up.

There's no way that was on purpose, though. Standards don't go on sale like that.
Quote by dazza027
I bet they send 'the dog' ones out for that price...

Why? They can send out the dog ones for 2600. They do all the time

You might be surprised at how many people ordering $2K guitars from GC online have no idea what a 2K guitar should play or sound like.
Quote by Roc8995
There's no way that was on purpose, though. Standards don't go on sale like that.

I don't think I ever mentioned standard though. It was always for the studio model. However, I do think that there were people getting standards for $1400, the price of the studio. I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere.
Yeah I don't think that happened.

In the future, you might want to specify the model. I can see now that you meant the Studio but when you don't specify people are going to assume you're talking about a Standard.

For what it's worth I think the EC1000 is a more consistent and refined guitar than the Studio anyway. Just play it and enjoy.
Oh, I plan on it. I actually am very pleased with it. I got a replacement from amazon and it is great. I love it!
Quote by Spud Spudly
you did return the other one?

Well, I submitted a claim, or whatever you might want to call it, to amazon. They shipped me another one no questions ask with free upgraded 1 day shipping. I got it earlier today and it's amazing. It has no blemishes, better action (as far as I can tell, but obviously I'm a noob), and just feels better. I guess I'm pretty weird, but yeah, I'm happy now.

Edit- I actually haven't shipped it back yet, but I plan to on maybe monday or tuesday depending on how busy I am with school. I have until May 3rd I think.
Last edited by AtomicFire7 at Apr 4, 2014,
I think we're beginning to move past being able to rely on a headstock shape, logo or country of manufacture as an indicator of quality or enhanced playability.

We're also getting to the point where brand/body shape isn't necessarily tied into genre. Hair metal guitars are showing up in church (though I think the screaming skulls graphics might still be out of place). I'm waiting for a Hello Kitty strat to show up at a metal fest. It might identify the owner as a serious badass, actually <G>.