My only guitar since Dec 2012 has been a Gibson SG faded. Great guitar but I play it so much that basically all of the finish on the back of the neck has worn away leaving away some undercoat or the bare/stained wood but not sure. Only problem is that lately I've noticed it feels a bit grimy and almost powder-y but I'm not sure how or if I should clean it. If there is some finish left wiping it would probably wipe away the rest of the finish... any help/tips? Thanks
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 3, 2014,
That sounds pretty normal for the faded series, they wear pretty quickly. Wiping the guitar down isn't really going to wipe away the rest of your finish. I would just wipe it down with a slightly damp rag. If that doesn't clean it up, you could use some guitar cleaner (dunlop 65 is pretty good) or a mild detergent.
I've found with finished necks that if they start to grab or get a little rough; just rub them with some super high grit sandpaper, like 2500. They should be nice and smooth again.
EDIT: Rub them lightly, don't try to sand them down or anything.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Apr 3, 2014,