A guitar teacher I had a while back had a Crate amp and I remember it being pretty large and maybe only even having one speaker.

I don't remember it having a bunch of effects but I remember it sounding really good for clean liquidy jazz tones.

Anyone know what it could be/ if Crate makes any good sounding clean amps? It was a pretty basic looking amp.
I kinda like the Crate V18. Its an 18 watt tube amp. Bought on few year back for like $150 its a single channel amp. I would buy one again if I was just doing blues and classic rock gigs as an amp I wouldn't care if it got the shit beat out of it or beer spilled on it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
This amp was solid state for sure, basically I'm looking for a cheap backup amp to keep around and save tubes.
I have run through a few crates that were in the backline and they sounded pretty good. Also the Roland Cube series is a worthy practice amp. I don't have enough talent to get good tone out of a Fender Frontman or Line 6 Spider though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I don't think talent has much to do with it. Those amps just sound like balls. There's only so much you can do.

Also the Crate Palmino series or what ever they are called its something like that are descent as well.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
This amp was solid state for sure, basically I'm looking for a cheap backup amp to keep around and save tubes.

What do you mean by save tubes?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
What do you mean by save tubes?

+1

It's a backup, so if you don't use it, you won't wear out tubes. And they cost what, £30 every couple of years anyway?

You need spare tubes even if you only have one amp, so basically think of your backup as a place to keep spares.
The Crate GX130c and the GT3500H are solid state, and they're great amps.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
By save tubes I mean I don't want another amp that I have to buy tubes for. With the amount I play I seem to need to replace them a good deal, and good tubes aren't too cheap.

I want a Solid State also because for the same price (IMO) they are more reliable and I think it would be nice to have a solid state for a different sound.

I don't really believe "tubes are better" I think its really they just sound different and in a blind test who knows what you might prefer...
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by bluestratplayer
I kinda like the Crate V18. Its an 18 watt tube amp. Bought on few year back for like $150 its a single channel amp. I would buy one again if I was just doing blues and classic rock gigs as an amp I wouldn't care if it got the shit beat out of it or beer spilled on it.

The V18 is an ok amp, but with a few mods can be turned into an exceptional amp!

Out of the box the V16 Palomino is a better unit, but has a headroom problem. (Easily fixed by a simple tube swap in v1 to a 12au7.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Or a 5751 in v1 which ive always preferred
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Or a 5751 in v1 which ive always preferred

Yeah, same principle just different gain levels.
Charles Darwin
Yeah, something about the JAN Phillips 5751, yet to hear an amp that didn't sound better with one in V1.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The Crate Vintage Club series are very good amps. I had a V18 and it was very dark. Don't know if it was the speaker or circuit design. But I could see how some mods would be a requirement.
Quote by fly135
The Crate Vintage Club series are very good amps. I had a V18 and it was very dark. Don't know if it was the speaker or circuit design. But I could see how some mods would be a requirement.

Check out the V18 SLO mod. It's a whole new amp, and what I'll do if I ever find one cheap.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Linkerman
The Crate GX130c and the GT3500H are solid state, and they're great amps.
For death metal, yeah. He wants a jazz amp.

Sounds like what you really want is a Jazz Chorus, man. Crate SS amps aren't in the same league.

And btw guys, ALL Phillips tubes sound good, there's nothing magical about the 5751 compared to their 12AX7 except that they aren't nearly as expensive, gain factor set aside. Stick a Phillips military 12AX7 in V1 and you'd be super impressed too. They just made really good tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Didn't crate make a really good, cheap clone of a vox ac30? I could be mistaken
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
The lead guitarist in a band I was in a few years ago sported a Crate GX something in our practice room and he made it sound frickin' awesome (I had no such luck with one I bought recently). Though all it did well was a dirty blues tone.

Ive heard/read minor praise for the Power Block but I'd like to think they were kidding.

If you want jazz tone on the cheap isn't there a cheap, easily had Peavey amp that copies the Roland JC? Or hell, even the original jc isnt all that pricey.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You'd be thinking of the Peavey Stereo Chorus. Yeah, that's another option. JC60's often sell pretty cheap too. The big Roland Cubes do a pretty good JC too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you may want to look at old ampeg models i don't have a specific one. i have an old one that is hybrid 1x12 70watt with a Celestion M70 (english not that it makes a huge difference not my favorite speaker... haha).

but damn the cleans are dead on with my music man. i swear.

i think i would put it right next to a JC. and yes i have played a JC120, almost bought it but bought something different.

*oh and the best part, the ampeg, i talked the guy down to $30 because he didn't have a foot switch. best ****ing $30 ever.

there are a ton of cheaper nice sounding +/-vintage gear that sounds pretty nice.

edit 2: i do also know a decent tube clean as well, bassman ab165, just so you know that i do know what all tube cleans sound like.

and have fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 5, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
For death metal, yeah. He wants a jazz amp.

You don't like their cleans? Sure, they're not JC cleans, but i find them more than acceptable.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Not really, no. VH140C (and their ilk) isn't exactly what comes to mind when one is looking for a jazz amp either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification