Hey, I'm having trouble playing a lot of rhythmic stuff because my right hand is too tense, I think.
I'm obsessed by tremolo picking because a lot of my favorite guitarists always use it (Jonny Greenwood, Matt Bellamy, Mark Engles...). I can kinda play Misirlou but I'm unable to play it relaxed. I always tense up a lot and I quickly feel pain in my upper arm. I have the same problem with "galloping" metal riffs (like in Iron Maiden's The Trooper) and even punk rock songs with lots of palm muted power chords down strummed quickly.
What should I do to be more relaxed?
Are you trying to do this with just your wrist? You should be moving your whole forearm to play this stuff. You may want to double check your technique.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
You should be moving your whole forearm to play this stuff. You may want to double check your technique.

I disagree. There's no right or wrong way to play guitar. If you're comfortable playing in a way that people consider 'bad', it's fine.
It's usually accepted that you should keep your thumb behind the neck at all times, but I have such big hands that I can use my thumb to mute the low E string when playing bass. Hendrix did the same on guitar.

OP, if you have a technique that you are otherwise comfortable with, try practising by getting a metronome (app or physical) and slowly building up playing speed 5BPM at a time.
Quote by ryanbwags
Are you trying to do this with just your wrist? You should be moving your whole forearm to play this stuff. You may want to double check your technique.

No, you absolutely shouldn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No, you absolutely shouldn't.

One of the biggest lessons I ever learned was "Never trust a seagull"
The point is, something in his technique is screwing with his arm. He needs to figure out what that is.
Quote by ryanbwags
The point is, something in his technique is screwing with his arm. He needs to figure out what that is.

yea, it's that he's probably using too much of it. i assume you only say this because you tremolo pick with your arm...but you'd be more efficient if you use your wrist more.

TS, check your basic picking movement. if instead of just "doing tremolo picking" you can be conscious of every downstroke and upstroke, you will be able to relax more. every time you pick the string, imagine that the only time you tense up is when you have to give your pick the initial push downard or upward. you don't need to stay tense through the entire movement.

you may have to reorient your picking hand slightly for fast picking, but not so much that it causes tension just to maintain that position.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by CorrosionMedia

It's usually accepted that you should keep your thumb behind the neck at all times, but I have such big hands that I can use my thumb to mute the low E string when playing bass. Hendrix did the same on guitar.

nah it's not, it's perfectly fine technique, at least for certain styles of music and types of playing. Bends and vibrato, for example, become much easier with your thumb round the neck.

but other than that i agree with you- as long as you're sure it's not actually doing you any harm and/or holding you back.

if it is though the best thing is probably to try to fix it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ryanbwags

I disagree with this. Playing fast is all about economy of movement. You're likely to get Tennis Elbow using your whole forearm if you play like that for a number of years.
Quote by arv1971
I disagree with this. Playing fast is all about economy of movement. You're likely to get Tennis Elbow using your whole forearm if you play like that for a number of years.

Now that I think about it, I kind of do both. I guess when you've been at it almost 20 years, you stop thinking and just do it.