Hi,

I own a bugera v22 and the amp is pretty good for the €280 I paid for it. The only con about the amp is that the gain is a little too low for what I need sometimes.

That's why I thought of expanding my pedalboard with a boost/OD pedal, preferrably an overdrive pedal because I don't think a boost will do enough to satisfy my needs.

So the first thing that came to my mind was a tubescreamer, the 808DX because of the extra features it has. Untill I looked for it on the web. The costs were pretty high,around €200 for a new one. Used about €70-100 for the TS-9, which I didn't really want in the first place because it lacked the features of the 808DX.

The second thing that came to my mind was Mooer. It is said that they are the best copycat company from the far east at a very fair price. So I looked for the pedals and found the green mile pedal. Which is ultimately a tubescreamer copy WITH the hot and warm switch.

To get to my question is, what other pedals do you guys recommend to me for pushing some extra gain on a vintage amp?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
what type(s) of tone do you want? is the bugera already a bit warm/middy-sounding?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type(s) of tone do you want? is the bugera already a bit warm/middy-sounding?

I am already running an EQ pedal to modern things up a bit. I guess both transparent and non-transparent will do...
Consider the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde:

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JekyllHyde
http://www.thomann.de/gb/visual_sound_v2jh1_jekyllhyde.htm

It's a good pedal, and based on the TS. There is also a stripped-down one, which only has the distortion circuitry.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonOfHyde/

Quote by Dave_Mc
is the bugera already a bit warm...

I'm sure it is...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 3, 2014,
If you want to be creative you could check out the BYOC od2. It has a boost AND overdrive. The OD is stock TS808 unless you change the internal trimpots for otherwise. It comes with all the common tubescreamer mods built in as well. It has a full/normal/fat mode and silicon/normal/led modes. You can also build either both or either to MOSFET specs if you prefer. If your willing to build your own pedal of course. It's a very easy build though. And only 99 usd while others modded after the fact etc can run about 240
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by liampje
I am already running an EQ pedal to modern things up a bit. I guess both transparent and non-transparent will do...

ah ok. yeah in that case either type may well work fine.

Just don't spend too much, if you're only using it for a boost (especially with a fairly cheap amp). a bad monkey would do if you prefer the ts thing or a screamin blues if you prefer the more transparent thing, for around 29 euros each.

or a boss sd1 if you want the ts thing but with a bit more bite.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'm sure it is...

teehee
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have one of these and I like the 3 way switch, TS9, 808 and a modified TS all in one pedal for $50
www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-DESIGN-Greenie-Classic-Distortion-4558-Tube-Screamer-_p_1075.html
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That reminds me- if you liked those Visual sound OD pedals, there are a couple others to consider.

The Route 66 has a TS-based OD and combines it with compression.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Route66/

But the (discontinued) Double Trouble may be your best option for your goals. THAT pedal has 2 OD circuits- one from the J&H, one from the 66- letting you use them individually or together. That means you could set one as a clean boost and the other as full-out distortion, and have both literally on tap. I've seen used DTs go as cheaply as $99.
http://music.bqturner.com/ProductDetail_i832263
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 3, 2014,
The DT is two tubescreamers in the same pedal. You can stack them or set two different levels of boost.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok. yeah in that case either type may well work fine.

Just don't spend too much, if you're only using it for a boost (especially with a fairly cheap amp). a bad monkey would do if you prefer the ts thing or a screamin blues if you prefer the more transparent thing, for around 29 euros each.

or a boss sd1 if you want the ts thing but with a bit more bite.

teehee

Define "more bite", is it more treble, gain, mid...etc.
It seems like a good idea to have a cheaper pedal.
If you want to make the OD a little nastier, a Fulltone OCD (or the v1 Danelectro Cool Cat Drive witht the tan sticker if you can find one) gives my amps a little more snarl. I keep it and a Tubescreamer on my board, and use each for different sounds.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
yeah, I have a BM and it is a solid pedal for a first boost.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah, I have a BM and it is a solid pedal for a first boost.

I hope so.... Haven't really invested too much time in hearing it because I have better things to do with my time next to listening to a pedal for €28.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have one of these and I like the 3 way switch, TS9, 808 and a modified TS all in one pedal for $50
www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-DESIGN-Greenie-Classic-Distortion-4558-Tube-Screamer-_p_1075.html

I assume it's just a clipper switch. IIRC it has the bog standard diodes (tubescreamer), LEDs (less compressed) and then a diode lift in the middle (more of a clean boost).

My biyang version sounded pretty good but i found they broke if you looked at them funny. Maybe I just got unlucky, i dunno. but if I did I got unlucky an awful lot of times

(it's also possible the GFS versions aren't exactly the same as the biyang-branded ones)

Quote by liampje
Define "more bite", is it more treble, gain, mid...etc.
It seems like a good idea to have a cheaper pedal.

yeah pretty much. just a bit more treble/less smooth on the high end.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Noticing the acdc in your sig I'da gone with an sd1. I'm sure the bad monkey will work fine for you and it probably is a lil tighter but the sd1 is a lil crispier. I like crispy when playing acdc or trying to rip them off.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Bad Monkey is a pretty good ACDC pedal. If you want more transparency - Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Bad Monkey is a pretty good ACDC pedal. If you want more transparency - Timmy.

+3.1415 IMO everybody should own a timmy. we were just talking about timmys in the other thread. get cath or matt or tim to build you one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lucky1978
Noticing the acdc in your sig I'da gone with an sd1. I'm sure the bad monkey will work fine for you and it probably is a lil tighter but the sd1 is a lil crispier. I like crispy when playing acdc or trying to rip them off.

AC/DC tone is the tone I could get through my amp itself. :P I think the AC/DC level of gain will be the base, before the boost.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I assume it's just a clipper switch. IIRC it has the bog standard diodes (tubescreamer), LEDs (less compressed) and then a diode lift in the middle (more of a clean boost).

My biyang version sounded pretty good but i found they broke if you looked at them funny. Maybe I just got unlucky, i dunno. but if I did I got unlucky an awful lot of times

(it's also possible the GFS versions aren't exactly the same as the biyang-branded ones)

yeah pretty much. just a bit more treble/less smooth on the high end.

Yeah the GFS is their own tweek on the Biyang. I have had mine for over a year and I like it much better than the BM I have. I'm thinking of getting rid of the BM and getting a EHX Soul Food or a Timmy.

I know a guy local selling a Klon KTR, but I am not spending $400+ on a boost
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah i liked how my biyang sounded too. I didn't get to try them head to head but i suspect i'd probably like how it sounded slightly better than my bad monkey (and I think i like my joyo ts clone slightly better than my bad monkey too). problem was the reliability. my biyang just died (and it wasn't the only biyang i had which died).

and yeah agreed on not spending $400 on a boost I'll maybe pick up a soul food too if/when they come back into stock.

Quote by lucky1978

agreed, i think the sd1 (or at least my cheapo daphon clone) is a fair bit more marshally than a tubescreamer or bad monkey.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?