I already have the 57-7H in the Bridge, now I wanna know if I could pair with an 85 instead of a 66?
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
Behringer GX212 (now works as head)
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
You could do, but it'll sound bizarre. The 85 is based around almost perfectly matched coils, which is already dodgy ground for the bridge position of a 7-string, let alone the neck. Not to mention it has about a third more power than the 57-7 does. The 85-7 is pretty much EMG's worst extended range pickup.

Only use an 85-7 if you can be sure that you can lower it far enough from the strings for it to regain some vague semblance of clarity. Otherwise you'll get nothing but lower-mids. Great if you just want to make a big noise, not great if you want people to actually be able to hear what you're playing.

The 707 is similar to an 85-7 but better tuned for 7-strings. It'll equal the 57-7 in output and it won't be anywhere near as much of a mess as the 85-7 will. A 60-7 will actually match a 57-7 (or 66-7, for that matter) perfectly, as it specs out almost exactly the same, but I appreciate a lot of people don't want to put pickups with ceramic magnets in their neck position. I myself prefer the 60A and have no idea why EMG won't make a 60A-7.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
You could do, but it'll sound bizarre. The 85 is based around almost perfectly matched coils, which is already dodgy ground for the bridge position of a 7-string, let alone the neck. Not to mention it has about a third more power than the 57-7 does. The 85-7 is pretty much EMG's worst extended range pickup.

Only use an 85-7 if you can be sure that you can lower it far enough from the strings for it to regain some vague semblance of clarity. Otherwise you'll get nothing but lower-mids. Great if you just want to make a big noise, not great if you want people to actually be able to hear what you're playing.

The 707 is similar to an 85-7 but better tuned for 7-strings. It'll equal the 57-7 in output and it won't be anywhere near as much of a mess as the 85-7 will. A 60-7 will actually match a 57-7 (or 66-7, for that matter) perfectly, as it specs out almost exactly the same, but I appreciate a lot of people don't want to put pickups with ceramic magnets in their neck position. I myself prefer the 60A and have no idea why EMG won't make a 60A-7.

SO basically you are saying that is mostly pointless to use the 85? damn I want to try something different than the 57 66 set thanks for the info cause I was wondering about the output of those pickups thanks man! mm interesting Charly sahona has the 57 7H / 60 7H , definitely gonna read some more
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
Behringer GX212 (now works as head)
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
Last edited by Tenebrion at Apr 4, 2014,
The 707, 81-7 and 60-7 are all 'different' from the 57/66 set.

Though really, EMG are very good at matching their pickups and they're experts at 7-string neck pickups. It may seem boring to buy a standard set, but if you like the sound of the 57-7 then it makes sense to stick with the 66-7.

Personally, having used them all in a variety of guitars, I do think the 707 is the best all-rounder for the neck position. The 60-7 would win it, if they'd make one with an alnico magnet. I found the 66-7 to just sound like a 707 with the treble weirdly boosted. YMMV.

But yeah, the 85-7 is just useless at the neck. It's good in the bridge if maximum output is all you care about, but at the neck it's like you've got the tone control permanently rolled down and too many boost pedals on.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.