Hey all,

I am about to embark on building my first guitar.... I have nothing yet, apart from some p90 pickups and a big lump of ash which I aquired from a boatyard I own.

What should I build? I currently have a gibson SG and a Fender Strat Ultra.

I love blues music and thought about a Les Paul, but I would take any advice...

I thought as this is my first I wouldd buy a neck, what do you all think?

Does anyone have a good solid source of info for building?

Thanks all

Rob
You have a nice piece of Ash, you need to make a Telecaster.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I believe this book is regarded as the Builders' Bible, although I've never looked at it. The Central Hub thread at the top of the page has lots of good links in it and of course there's quite a few people that hang around here that will be happy to help, or at least point you in the right direction.

Making a body and buying a neck is a good way to start - I still haven't got to the stage where I feel like I could tackle building a neck, but that's mainly due to lack of a decent workspace and tools now.

Les Paul Juniors and Telecasters are about as basic as you can get body-wise but to be honest if you can handle woodworking tools and making (or acquiring) templates then nothing should present you with too much difficulty.

Be aware that it's almost impossible to stop after the first one though.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Heh. That's exactly what I thought, "Ooh, P90 Tele!"
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Apr 3, 2014,
Quote by rspelman2003
I thought as this is my first I wouldd buy a neck, what do you all think?

Great idea. Building the neck, fretboard, fitting the fretwire, etc, was the hardest part when i helped a friend build one. It will save you a lot of time and effort.

If you're planning to build more guitars in the future, it may be worth start practicing building a neck right now, so that it'll be easier in the next models.

Quote by Robbgnarly

I concur. With good ash, i'd build a Tele with natural blonde finish and a 1-ply black pickguard.

Then, i'd top that with a maple neck.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I've built a couple bodies over the years and just used the necks from other guitars. However, the neck itself really isnt that tough. It is the fretboard that is the hardest part. I built an acoustic from q martin kit and had to do some neck shaping, fretting and such but the fret slots were already cut.
I would at least buy a slotted fretboard. Check out stewart McDonald or warmouth for all sorts of things.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Thank you all very much!

I think I will start with a body the the first time and buy a tele neck....

I was thinking about prayerbooking the wood to have a kind wicked burst of grain or does that affect the tone?

Where can i find a good pattern for a tele? I will start with that and maybe carve it some what to give it some contour.

Rob
Bookmatching [ ] the wood won't affect the tone.*

TDPRI is the go-to site for all things Tele (and a lot of other guitar-related stuff, too).
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/74504-d-size-tele-body-blueprint-files-here.html

* In my opinion. There are many opinions on what affects guitar tone. I reckon if you can hear the difference between a one-piece and a two-piece bookmatched body you must be some kind of freak.