Looking into getting a 7 string guitar. I found a JP7 and got the guy down to $1500. Should I go for it? Also I've never played a 7 string. Any tips on chords and extended scales and any other things I could do with an added string?
BigBoned: Hello Hung Daddy.

Hung Daddy: Hi. I'm eight and a half inches.

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
Yes.

It's fun to drop tune that extra string in your favorite tuning. You'll get the option of the instrument in a standard tuning and a drop tuning at the same time. Also sounds cool when you add that dropped string to your chords.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'd say you should definitely try it for a while first, especially if you don't have a set idea what to do with it - 7-strings feel very different and may be plain confusing even for the first few months. Personally (and lots of other people) I love it, but I know the "omg what is this thing" feeling I had when trying out an 8-string , and I can imagine going from 6 to 7 can be comparable.

My philosophical rambling aside, also definitely agreed with the suggestion of using drop A (or even lower if you like) - it opens some pretty cool chord possibilities, makes life a lot easier when playing heavy stuff on the lowest strings, while I found it very difficult to find any interesting chords at all in the lower range of the standard 7-string tuning. The only problem is that for some strange reason string companies doesn't seem to notice the existence of drop tunings on 7-strings, so finding a reasonable set is a massive pain in the ass and the best option is usually just getting the seventh separately.

So basically: 1) test it well whether you really like it, 2) if yes and it's a really cool guitar, why not, 3) 7-strings are awesome.

Oh, and just noticed. Don't get trapped inside this Octavarium.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Apr 3, 2014,
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I've convinced myself to make the investment. Although I don't know a ton of songs to learn once I get it I think it would be a lot of fun for heavier riffs and cool chords in my own writing. From what I've seen it's just a really dynamic instrument. And I'll try not to move in circles balanced all the while.

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
Investigating more 7 string artists come with getting a 7. I found all these 7 string bands after I got mine. I bought mine to play Dream Theater and I went through a hardcore phase that made me keep it. Now it's instrumental prog/jazz only on it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Could you name a few prog/jazz players that use it? I'd be really interested in stretching out past metal and rock.

Chris Letchford (Scale the Summit), Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad and the Devin Townsend Project) John Petrucci (Dream Theater but I like Liquid Tension Experiment better), Periphery, TesseracT, Animals as Leaders (that's actually 8 string but still good) are all favorites of mine but are all pretty metal. Basically look at any artist endorsed by .strandberg* haha.

The only ERG guitarist I can think of as far as Jazz players is Charlie Hunter.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
From metal stuff Paradise Lost is one of my personal favourites, they've been using A-tuned 7-strings for at least two albums now, and their sound is just amazing imo.
Quote by TheLiberation
From metal stuff Paradise Lost is one of my personal favourites, they've been using A-tuned 7-strings for at least two albums now, and their sound is just amazing imo.

Every time I pick up a 7 string at Guitar Center and it's tuned to Drop A it makes me cringe.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by thedyslexialove
Could you name a few prog/jazz players that use it? I'd be really interested in stretching out past metal and rock.

Fredrik Thordendal on old Meshuggah albums (the crazy amount of syncopation makes Meshuggah the kings of rhythm displacement)

Ihsahn on Emperor's final album

Al Mu'min on The HAARP Machine's "Disclosure" (deathcore with interesting use of Eastern instrumentation; pretty progressive stuff, not typical deathcore)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 4, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
Every time I pick up a 7 string at Guitar Center and it's tuned to Drop A it makes me cringe.

1) They use A standard not drop A
2) Why
Quote by TheLiberation
1) They use A standard not drop A
2) Why

Oooohhhh that's not awful. And usually drop A tuning is used by chug-chug-squee bands I don't tend to like.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Well, I use drop A myself for reasons I listed earlier, and believe me I'm not into being 00000000000000000000000 at all. :P Also e.g. Pain of Salvation have been using drop A for a while now. And I absolutely love the ability to be able to use that damn heavy low A for riffing, and not lose _any_ upper range at all (which is awesome with clean and delay and stuff).