I currently have a Jasmine (by Takamine) S-34C acoustic. The neck is starting to separate from the body, not sure why but....anyway. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Ibanez pc300CENT for $75 US. Is this a decent guitar? I can't seem to find much about it online. Anyone know anything about it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i'd figure out why that neck is separating, as it's highly unusual and usually happens from misuse. do you lean your guitar against the wall a lot? are you using strings that are too heavy? is it dry where you are? guitars that are too dry have problems that can destroy them.

i'm not a huge fan of ibanez acoustics, but you might enjoy having a cutaway and electronics.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 3, 2014,
i'd figure out why that neck is separating

This. If it is indeed from misuse it would be a shame if the same thing were to happen to your next guitar.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Ibanez pc300CENT for $75 US. Is this a decent guitar?

In my opinion, no.
Quote by tlmills
I currently have a Jasmine (by Takamine) S-34C acoustic. The neck is starting to separate from the body, not sure why but....anyway. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Ibanez pc300CENT for $75 US. Is this a decent guitar? I can't seem to find much about it online. Anyone know anything about it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Any of my searches turn up very little as well. However, the guitar is discontinued, and references go back as far as 2003.

This is a laminated top guitar, as is/was, Your Takamine. Is it a great guitar, probably not. However, electronics can make a mediocre guitar into a good one when plugged in. AFAIK, the Ibanez in question has a 3 band EQ, which should give good control over its amplified sound.

Soyeah, maybe $75.00 is fair, assuming all iiiis well, the electronics are working, and the action is at a reasonable height, with room on the saddle for a bit of sanding down, should future need arise.

As far as your current problems go, humidity, too heavy strings, and too high an action could all have contributed to your present issues.

I'm less inclined to blame leaning the guitar against whatever, as a primary cause of failure. For better or worse, many guitar stands support a guitar by the neck. BUT, the further from true vertical the guitar is leaning, the greater the stress is on the neck.

You can check that phenomenon out for yourself. Get a broom, (or anything with a heavy end. Put the thin end to the floor. Hold it by the bottom. When the object is straight up, it will present as having no weight, the further you lean it away from vertical, the heavier it will appear.
I'm pretty sure I put stings that were too heavy on it, although it is kind of dry here, and it's on a guitar stand all the time.
Quote by tlmills
I'm pretty sure I put stings that were too heavy on it, although it is kind of dry here, and it's on a guitar stand all the time.
Being out in the open room brings its own problems.

When an instrument is in a case, or even a gig bag, it slows down the effects of drastic temperature and humidity changes. In open air, everything happens all of a sudden.

If low humidity is indeed an issue, by putting the guitar in a case, you can put a sound hole humidifier in with it, and create a "mini-climate", to help stave off damage.

You can take a look at this for the environmental issues: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98

And this should answer any questions about setup that you might have: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

Some free lessons? Goto; http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

There, you should be good to go on all fronts. Have fun!