Has anyone here shipped an electric guitar? I have not had much luck on Craigslist selling one of my guitars and felt it was time to broaden the market by venturing out into fleabay land. The rub comes with the shipping... i figure i have to get some type of box, maybe from the local guitar center or the likes and pack it to get metered for accurate shipping charges. Should i go through UPS or FedEx? i am guessing fully insured and tracked is the only way to go. I have never sold a guitar that i needed to ship so i am a bit nervous about the process. With local stuff you are handing the guitar over and everyone is agreeable. Any suggestions or tales of sadness you can share the help me avoid issues?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Shipping is no big deal as long as you pack it properly. Will it be shipping in a case, gigbag, or just the guitar? I personally use Fedex if it is in the Cont. U.S. they typically have the best rates, you automatically get tracking, I would add signature confirmation and of course properly declare the value in case of damage.
guitars should be shipped in a hardshell case that is boxed ideally. having UPS do it is expensive but then there is no issue with claims if damaged. take pictures of the undamaged guitar in the box before closing showing how it was packed and then the the sealed box (ship to address clearly shown in pic). bottom line is pack it well as guitars can break fairly easily bouncing around in a truck. FRAGILE stickers only get you so far as I assure you loaders and drivers don't pay much attention to them.
I've shipped out 2 (maybe 3) guitars, and I've had a few guitars shipped to me. It can be nerve-racking, but it's nothing to worry about if you do it properly.

The best way to do it is to have the guitar shipped in a hardshell case, tan you get a box that'll fit the hardshell case it in. It's also a good idea to place bubble wrap between where the guitar will touch the edge of the case (basically, put bubble wrap inbetween the body and where it meets the edge of the case). Either way, make sure you properly wrap it up. As the guy above me stated, take pictures of how it's wrapped, the case in the box, and the shipping address on the box. That way, you'll have proof to the buyer in case anything goes wrong in shipping.

As for shipping them, I used UPS. It's best to get a tracking number on it along with a signature on it. I hope it works out for you, buddy!
Skip the username, call me Billy
thanks for all the input. I will take great care and do it right.
sure it will work out.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.